PDA

View Full Version : negative intensifers

robby parkman
30-Jul-2008, 11:58
I have some thin negatives of sand dunes. I can not get the ripples to have enough contract even with Grade 5 paper. I was thinking on treating some of the negatives with one of the negative intensifers. either chromium or Formulary Silver Intensifer. Does anyone have experience with either or a preference. Thanks:)

reellis67
30-Jul-2008, 12:05
I've selenium toned negatives (little change) and sepia toned negatives (some change ~1 grade perhaps), but never used any other intensifier. I believe that mercury intensifiers work to change the contrast to a larger degree (3-5 grades from what Tim Rudman states in his Master Printing book), and as an added bonus the effect can be reversed, but you have to be able to find the mercury compound required, which may not be easy/possible depending on where you are.

The silver intensifier you mentioned deposits silver onto the negative, and the effect is variable based on how long the negative is exposed, so I would think that it would be a good choice for such a flat negative, but it also states that you cannot intensify more than once, so experiment first (as you should with any technique that you are not familiar with). The chromium intensifier can be used repeatedly, so at least you can keep building as you go...

Also, don't get any of these compounds in your eyes - Silver nitrate stains organic mater, so it can blind you if it touches your eye in the right place.

- Randy

Richard Wasserman
30-Jul-2008, 12:49
I have not used the intensifiers you mention, but I have selenium toned negatives and gained the equivalent of about 1-1.5 contrast grades. Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 1:1 with water for about 7 minutes. I hope this helps.