PDA

View Full Version : jobo drum expert 3006

pdeeee
30-Jul-2008, 08:41
hi there everyone,... I have recently bought this jobo drum for developing 5x7 film.. I wondered if anyone knew the mililitre amount of chemical to be used when six films are in place, and what the proceedure is with the drum, forgive my ignorance, but I am new to this and the drum came,secondhand, with no instructions
many thanks
paul

BradS
30-Jul-2008, 09:03
I use 400ml of chemisrty and rotate the drum on a Unicolor motor base that I modified slightly so that it does not reverse directions.

Geary Lyons
30-Jul-2008, 09:03
Jobo give the range of chemical capacity of the 2006 as 210ml - 342ml. So you would want to be on the high side for 6 5x7. Quite honestly, I usually use 500ml. It is just an easier amount to mix. I use Rollo Pyro and it is cheap. Are you hand processing or using a Jobo processor?

Cheers,
Geary

Chuck Pere
30-Jul-2008, 09:11
This site has some info:
http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/instructions/instructions_misc_expert_drums.htm

BradS
30-Jul-2008, 09:22
Both of the 3006 drum in my posession say 450ml max. It is probably not a coincidence that this is almost exactly the volume of one of the cylinders inside the drum.

photographs42
30-Jul-2008, 09:24
Don’t forget that if you use highly diluted developer you might need more than the minimum requirement for the drum.
Jerome

pdeeee
30-Jul-2008, 10:00
thanks guys, In answer to you geary,I am hand processing and just feeling my way, I have to say that 500ml doesnt seem enough to me as the tank is really quite big.. but, being new to this, what would i know......
thank you for your replies
paul

Ron Marshall
30-Jul-2008, 10:09
thanks guys, In answer to you geary,I am hand processing and just feeling my way, I have to say that 500ml doesnt seem enough to me as the tank is really quite big.. but, being new to this, what would i know......
thank you for your replies
paul

I spoke to a Jobo tech on the phone about hand processing. He told me that although Jobo specifies 210ml as the min volume on their site, that he recommends 300ml as a minimum. I have done hundreds of runs at 300ml with perfecly developed negs.

I have used as much as 600ml when using very dilute developer, to ensure that the capacity of the developer was not exceeded.

MenacingTourist
30-Jul-2008, 10:47
I process the same as Geary. Wierd.

Clyde Rogers
30-Jul-2008, 11:50
I don't know the minimum for the drum, but some time back I used John Sexton's Jobo instructions, which called for a large amount of very dilute developer. I recall running something like 1200ml in a 3006. With this quantity I had the agitation go one-way, and the momentum of the spinning drum was impressive. The negatives printed very nicely. Might be hard on the motor and gears...

I think last time I ran that drum it was with about 400ml of solution. This drum doesn't need to be anywhere near full, but it must-must-must be rolled constantly to distribute the solution during processing. I've never heard of one being used as an inversion tank, and it doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Roll the tank (some sort of motorized base is really nice for this, I've never done it by hand) and the solution amounts discussed will be fine.

Later,

Clyde

Ron Marshall
30-Jul-2008, 12:05
I don't know the minimum for the drum, but some time back I used John Sexton's Jobo instructions, which called for a large amount of very dilute developer. I recall running something like 1200ml in a 3006. With this quantity I had the agitation go one-way, and the momentum of the spinning drum was impressive. The negatives printed very nicely. Might be hard on the motor and gears...

I think last time I ran that drum it was with about 400ml of solution. This drum doesn't need to be anywhere near full, but it must-must-must be rolled constantly to distribute the solution during processing. I've never heard of one being used as an inversion tank, and it doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Roll the tank (some sort of motorized base is really nice for this, I've never done it by hand) and the solution amounts discussed will be fine.

Later,

Clyde

I've used it for semi-stand, with very dilute developer, but the tank was full; about 2800ml.