PDA

View Full Version : MF camera or Roll Film back for LF Cam (Color Work)

audioexcels
28-Jul-2008, 22:29
I want to make use of a decent scanner I picked up for both 120 and 4X5 film. Though I'll shoot larger color film, I'm wanting to do a lot of my color work using 4X5 cropped to the size I like, maybe a roll film back, or some dedicated MF camera.

What are the best "budget" options for a good MF color based camera or back for my LF cam?

Or should I do all my color work with 4X5 sheet film?

Thanks!

Ron Marshall
28-Jul-2008, 22:49
I want to make use of a decent scanner I picked up for both 120 and 4X5 film. Though I'll shoot larger color film, I'm wanting to do a lot of my color work using 4X5 cropped to the size I like, maybe a roll film back, or some dedicated MF camera.

What are the best "budget" options for a good MF color based camera or back for my LF cam?

Or should I do all my color work with 4X5 sheet film?

Thanks!

What size do you like? What lenses do you have? A 90mm is wide on 4x5 but "normal" on 6x7cm.

Used backs are fairly cheap now. 6x6cm, 6x7cm, 6x9cm. 6x12cm is more expensive.

audioexcels
29-Jul-2008, 00:38
What size do you like? What lenses do you have? A 90mm is wide on 4x5 but "normal" on 6x7cm.

Used backs are fairly cheap now. 6x6cm, 6x7cm, 6x9cm. 6x12cm is more expensive.

I was considering the 6X9cm format as that is in my interest just as is 6X12cm which is why I am considering an addition of an MF camera, though I may just crop 4X5 sheets since that may not be the most economical concept, but would still be quite ok.

Ole Tjugen
29-Jul-2008, 02:31
I've just bought a Sinar Zoom rollfilm back which can be set to 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 or 6x12. I believe that is still cheaper than most 6x12 MF cameras.

I have a spare rollfilm back now, but that's only 6x7.

audioexcels
29-Jul-2008, 06:03
I've just bought a Sinar Zoom rollfilm back which can be set to 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 or 6x12. I believe that is still cheaper than most 6x12 MF cameras.

I have a spare rollfilm back now, but that's only 6x7.

Do you use this on a more point/shoot type camera and find that it can be somewhat as fast to operate as a dedicated p/s type MF camera? I'd "ideally" like to street shoot with the cam if possible...nothing terribly fast, just walking through a city and grabbing a nice view that I stumble on.

Bruce Watson
29-Jul-2008, 06:36
Do you use this on a more point/shoot type camera and find that it can be somewhat as fast to operate as a dedicated p/s type MF camera? I'd "ideally" like to street shoot with the cam if possible...nothing terribly fast, just walking through a city and grabbing a nice view that I stumble on.

Sounds like what you need is an old MF folder (http://www.certo6.com/) maybe.

Ole Tjugen
29-Jul-2008, 06:41
I haven't actually used either yet, but will be trying the Sinar one on some panoramas soon. I'll be using a Carbon Infinity with 47, 65 and 75mm lenses for that - not exactly "hand holdable".

The older Calumet C2 6x7 back, at least, snaps right into place on my Speed Graphic. so that's certainly a possibility.

Ron Marshall
29-Jul-2008, 09:01
If you want quick grab shots on the fly, then MF or a LF press camera are options.

The MF folders suggested by Bruce are good, or if your budget permits a Mamiya 6 or 7.

Daniel_Buck
29-Jul-2008, 10:19
Personally, I like 'dealing' with sheet film better than roll film. Even when I cut roll film down to individual shots, it's still a little to small to comfortably deal with, (roll film usually seems to curl on me a little, just enough to make placing into scanning holders a tad bit annoying, where my 4x5 film is always nice and flat) 4x5 seems to be the easiest to handle, for me anyway. My local lab processes color 4x5 film for $3 per shot. 120 rolls are $8 per roll. Check out developing prices at your local lab, that may help you decide if you don't already know what the developing costs will be. They may charge much more for the 4x5 sheets, if they are not set-up to deal with sheet film.

If you like 120 film, and a square format, shooting from a waist level finder may be enjoyable for street shooting! (once you get used to the horizontal flip!), a TLR, or other MF cameras with a waist level finder could be fun for this!

Pete Watkins
29-Jul-2008, 11:02
I've got a Wista and 2 Wista roll film backs (6x7 & 6x9) which I used a lot when I was learning about L.F. I still use the 6x9 for most of my colour work and it really is a nice format.
Pete.

Gordon Moat
29-Jul-2008, 12:27
Definitely the 6x12 lever wind options are expensive, and don't show up on the used market too often. Sometimes you can find Linhof Super Rollex backs at good used prices, like through KEH (http://www.keh.com) or MPEX (http://www.mpex.com). Other good lever wind choices are Horseman and Wista.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Vlad Soare
29-Jul-2008, 23:05
Another option, if your camera accepts Graflock type backs, is a Mamiya RB67 back. They're easy to find, inexpensive, and very well built.

Frank Petronio
29-Jul-2008, 23:44
Should I do it to him...? Hmm

OK why not? Pull the trigger....

http://www.exakta.org/rebora/

Greg Lockrey
30-Jul-2008, 00:17
Should I do it to him...? Hmm

OK why not? Pull the trigger....

http://www.exakta.org/rebora/

Touch my eyes.... :)

audioexcels
30-Jul-2008, 15:53
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I do wish I could afford the Mamiya, but I want something "at least" as nice color wise and it sounds like one of these folding types may just do the trick perhaps with a reotrofitting of a lens of choice, or even that awesome cam Frank linked. Then again, something like a Graphic, but smaller and with a nice LF lens on it would be quite nice. A Razzle that has enough of a point and shoot factor involved.

Time to look into the links provided, other back options like the one Vlad mentioned, etc.

aduncanson
30-Jul-2008, 18:59
Didn't anybody mention the 6x7 or 6x9 Fuji range finder cameras like the GW690III. They offer no interchangeable lenses, but they cost less than a lens for a Mamiya 7. I love my GW690III (the 6x9 version with an excellent 90mm lens bought in the mid '90s.) It is a perfect point & shoot, and I will go out on a limb and venture that it will outperform any of the folders from the '50s.

Traveling with it, a monopod, slow film and a decent meter, I can race from excellent shot to excellent shot. (Well at least the equipment does not compromise the quality - My performance might be a bit less than excellent.)