PDA

View Full Version : Northern Virginia/Washington, DC

Brian_A
28-Jul-2008, 20:49
Hey All,

I was wondering if there were any LF photographers located in or around the DC/NoVA area that wanted to get together and go shooting sometime? I'm not looking to go downtown and make photos of the normal tourist crap, that's been beaten to death. I'd like to move away from the city and see what can be found. PM me if interested.

Thanks!

-Brian

BarryS
28-Jul-2008, 21:18
Hi Brian--we have a large format/alt process group that meets monthly at VisArts in Rockville, MD and we have regular shoots planned. A few people are shooting early this Sunday at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. PM Scott Davis if you're interested in the Sunday shoot and if you PM your email address I'll put you on the list for the VisArts group. I'm also interested in off the beaten track locations.

Scott Davis
29-Jul-2008, 04:02
Brian-

We're planning on meeting up by 9am over at the gardens. If you need directions, PM me and I can send you a link.

Walter Calahan
29-Jul-2008, 05:50
Sally Mann photographed death with a fresh eye in large format. Grin.

Actually I turned a set of LF pinhole cameras on the downtown normal tourist crap that is beaten to death for a fresh approach to seeing the everyday. It was a helpful exercise to tune my brain for seeing better.

Enjoy the Aquatic Gardens. Sorry I'll miss you all.

Brian_A
29-Jul-2008, 08:16
Sweet deal, I'm glad someone around here shoots LF besides me. I recently put an ad to sell one of my 4x5's on Craigslist and got a response from a MF shooter (Well, she shoots about anything she can get her hands on, regardless of film size..) that she was surprised there was another LF/MF shooter in the area. PM's will be sent shortly to both of you about my email and info.

Walter, very true that Mann photographed the hell out of this area. I'm hoping there's some plantation or whatnot she hasn't shot out here. Heck, I'm more into the non-manmade stuff anyway. That is very interesting on the pinhole idea. I just wonder how you don't get people all over you for setting up a tripod down there. There are very few places that I've been able to set up on without someone yelling at me to get rid of the tripod. Would love to see some of the photos you've made down there.

Thanks Everyone!

-Brian

Brian_A
29-Jul-2008, 09:05
Actually I turned a set of LF pinhole cameras on the downtown normal tourist crap that is beaten to death for a fresh approach to seeing the everyday. It was a helpful exercise to tune my brain for seeing better.

That is very interesting on the pinhole idea. I just wonder how you don't get people all over you for setting up a tripod down there. There are very few places that I've been able to set up on without someone yelling at me to get rid of the tripod. Would love to see some of the photos you've made down there.

I guess it would help if I just clicked that little link under your name and looked for myself, huh? :)

-Brian

Brian_A
1-Aug-2008, 19:33
Everything is still on for Sunday, correct?

Scott Davis
2-Aug-2008, 13:07
Yeah- we're on for Sunday.

Bill L.
2-Aug-2008, 14:07
I'll be there - big guy, floppy hat, with a Canham DLC-45.

Bill

Scott Davis
2-Aug-2008, 18:51
Big guy, Shen-Hao 4x5, carbon-fiber tripod.

Brian_A
2-Aug-2008, 19:55
Skinny guy, Woodman 4x5 with 6x17 back, gitzo basalt tripod. More than like a Nikon D200 somewhere near me. My aunt is coming along with me, although she'll probably just be shooting digital. She's like me, looks for any excuse to get out and do the photo thing. One day I'll get her to shoot 4x5.

Oh yeah, if anyone has a recessed lensboard for a technika copal 0 that I can buy from you there or borrow, you'll be my personal hero. Seems that with a 90mm and a flat board with a DaYi 6x17 back, I'm about 1/4-1/2 an inch from getting to focus to infinity. I guess I can do some close up work with it, though. Guess that one falls under the "life is a mother!@#$er" category...

See ya'll tomorrow!

-Brian

Brian_A
2-Aug-2008, 20:33
PS: I'm gunna be there around 7-7:30 in case anyone else plans on showing up early.

Brian_A
3-Aug-2008, 15:19
Scott & Bill,

Here are some pics my aunt took while we were out there....

-Brian

http://www.svenskastudios.com/Svenska_Studios/The_Photographers.html

BarryS
3-Aug-2008, 15:44
Must have been dark. :)

Brian_A
4-Aug-2008, 00:21
For some reason the pages she make today with either Lightroom or .Mac don't show well in FireFox but look fine in Internet Explorer. I think it's something to do with the Flash code....

-Brian

EuGene Smith
22-Aug-2008, 20:42
Man, it's nice to read in this thread where Metro Area LF folks are getting together again. I am in Arkansas and trying to get LF folks down here together to meet each other and burn a bit of film together.

In the mid 1990's I was living in Fairfax County and we had a nice little informal group of LF folks from VA, DC, & MD who would get together occasionally. We dubbed ourselves the Capital Area Large Format Club (CALF, for short) and had about 65 members. I still have about a dozen of so of our little newsletters, one issue which contains our membership list. Chances are many of those folks are still in the area.

EuGene

Brian_A
23-Aug-2008, 07:48
Send them over! I'd love to contact them and see if they're still into the whole group meeting thing. There was a previous post about CALF but it kinda dated itself so I started this thread to see if anyone wanted to get together and do the photo thing..

Anyway, I'd love to see those newsletters if it's not too much trouble!

-Brian

Scott Davis
26-Aug-2008, 09:59
Brian-

I'm semi-ambulatory again, so if folks want to have another get-together, I'd be up for a social/print-share kind of thing. Shall we try and organize something?

Brian_A
6-Sep-2008, 18:10
We should. Hopefully in DC proper as getting MD is a son of a !@#$%. I reallllly hate that place as it is... Every time I go there somethin crappy happens.

Speaking of sharing, did you process those IR photos yet? :D

-Brian

Scott Davis
8-Sep-2008, 13:09
Brian-

I have been out of the darkroom for some time, as my ankle is taking its own sweet time getting better and I haven't had the motivation to head down to the basement. I need to get back into it, but now I'm back on crutches as my ankle was degrading a bit. If you want to do a DC City get-together, we can try and plan something at a restaurant downtown (I have some ideas that are not only good food but Metro accessible as well, some of which even have private dining areas if we get enough folks to come along).

Brian_A
8-Sep-2008, 15:40
Sounds great. Lets put some locations and dates out there for people to agree on.

-B

Brian_A
14-Sep-2008, 10:18
Any dates or locations for our meeting? I gotta work around the wife's weird schedule because of the kid.

-Brian

Scott Davis
27-Sep-2008, 19:43
Brian - there's a discussion afoot to do a night shoot (or at least twilight) downtown here - meet this coming Saturday (October 4) around 6:30 or 7 pm for dinner, then hit the streets and do some low-light photography. Weather permitting of course.

Brian_A
1-Oct-2008, 23:44
Brian - there's a discussion afoot to do a night shoot (or at least twilight) downtown here - meet this coming Saturday (October 4) around 6:30 or 7 pm for dinner, then hit the streets and do some low-light photography. Weather permitting of course.

Downtown as in DC? PM me your # Scott. I take it your ankle is back to operational status? I'd say count me in if it's in DC. Any idea on where in DC ya'll plan on shooting in the evening? I do actually like my gear and don't prefer to find a gun/knife in my back.

-Brian

ViewCameraNut
2-Oct-2008, 21:38
We have a number of LF'ers on the Eastern Shore. If you guys ever want to shoot some water stuff, let me know. Regards, Mike C.
www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32

Brian_A
5-Oct-2008, 11:39
Hey Mike,

If I ever make it out there, I'll be sure to look ya'll up! Thanks!

-Brian

Brian_A
5-Oct-2008, 11:45
Just looked at your site Mike, great stuff! I might have to look you up sooner than later. How are the later fall/winter scenes out there?

-Brian

EuGene Smith
12-Oct-2008, 20:31
Brian & Scott:

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and do hope you guys can get a nice little group of LF film burners together to shoot the scenes in the area, swap/buy camera gear, do darkroon stuff, etc. I think LF'ers getting together is the key to keeping that genre alive, and keeping alive film in general.

Brian, I bet at least half of those folks on that old Capital Area LF club membership list that I sent to you are still around there. Did you ever get a chance to try to track any of them down?

Anyhoo, best of luck to you guys in all you do, and if I am ever up that way, I'll look you up.

EuGene

Brian_A
13-Oct-2008, 09:35
Yeah, I totally agree EuGene. I've had a lot of fun meeting up with people here and going out to shoot. I'm hoping we can meet more often to get out and shoot. I really enjoy that part of it. For some reason, I get even more inspired when I am out with other people shooting.

As far as the list goes, I'm going to get everyone I can on that list together before the spring so that we can get some stuff together for next year. Something tells me it'll be futile to get anything together over the winter as people will be doing the family thing for the time being.

Anyways, I hope you do end up coming out this way EuGene. Definitely let me know if you come out!

-Brian

ViewCameraNut
14-Oct-2008, 11:18
Hello Brian, sorry so late on replying. The late fall and early winter are excellent here for photography for everything but foliage. We get some wicked colors in the sky and water. The lighting is also superb for landscapes. My home number is 410-651-0551 if you ever want to come out this way and shoot some LF or what ever. Thanks for the kind words on my photography. Regards, Mike C.
www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32

Brian_A
4-Jan-2009, 10:04
Anyone wanna get together next weekend and shoot in the VA area? (I drove to DC and MD last time. It's time for a VA shoot :D )

Milton Tierney
16-Jan-2009, 17:18
Hey Brain, I haven’t forgotten, like to team up with you when this ice age is over in the spring. Yes, I’ll drive out to good old VA. Like to do some drive by’s of the hill, farms or what evers.
-----------------

When you dream in color, it`s a pigment of your
imagination.

Jim Rhoades
8-Feb-2009, 08:39
Bump.
Hey, Brian A. Has anything worked out yet? I moved down here from Jersey last spring. Had shot with the NYC crew. I'm about 40 min. west of you. North of Front Royal.

Brian_A
10-Feb-2009, 20:08
Winchester? I'm still looking for people to go out and shoot with. Temperature really isn't a big deal to me. Rain and heavy winds are. So.. Lemme know. I'm always lookin for new places too. PM me.

-B

Jim Rhoades
27-Mar-2009, 07:51
Bump. For those that are interested the APUG group is having a Virginia workshop in May. Check Apug under workshops. I'll be there as Photobum. Looks like a lot of L/F and some ULF cameras will show up. Digitheads will be burned.

Brian, sent PM a while ago. Always looking to shoot.

Chris Khourey
13-Feb-2010, 14:49
Hello,
Not many posts lately. Is there anyone shooting LF in the DC/NOVA/MD area? I am newer to this region and looking for LF photographers to meet up for coffee this winter, and possibly meet up with cameras ready as soon as it warms. Please PM me or just post a reply. I use a 4x5 camera, traditional silver films, employ spot/zone exposure, greatly enjoy discussing photo technique, and on a good day, producing a good negative for printing. I look forward to hearing. Best.
Chris K

Brian Ellis
13-Feb-2010, 15:40
Man, it's nice to read in this thread where Metro Area LF folks are getting together again. I am in Arkansas and trying to get LF folks down here together to meet each other and burn a bit of film together.

In the mid 1990's I was living in Fairfax County and we had a nice little informal group of LF folks from VA, DC, & MD who would get together occasionally. We dubbed ourselves the Capital Area Large Format Club (CALF, for short) and had about 65 members. I still have about a dozen of so of our little newsletters, one issue which contains our membership list. Chances are many of those folks are still in the area.

EuGene

These kinds of groups are fun. We called ours "The Reciprocity Failures."

Milton Tierney
15-Feb-2010, 16:43
I’m down here in Southern Maryland.
Milton

Joshua Dunn
15-Feb-2010, 18:09
Chris and Milton,
We (http://photogathering.blogspot.com/) have a large format photography and alternative process forum that meets once a month (usually on Thursdays) at the Vis Arts Center (http://www.visartscenter.org/) in Rockville MD. I usually make every other one. You should come if you can!

-Joshua

Chris Khourey
16-Feb-2010, 08:06
Joshua and Milton, Thanks for your replies. I will get in touch with the group for more information. Perhaps we can meet at an upcoming meeting.
Best,
Chris

Scott Davis
16-Feb-2010, 09:18
Hiya Chris. I'm another of the DC photographers. I'd be up for a NoVa get together to shoot as soon as some of this glaciation recently deposited on DC melts off.

Milton Tierney
16-Feb-2010, 11:04
Thanks for the invite. Rockville is about 40-50 miles from me, wish it was closer. But, I’m up for a shoot in VA, just need advance warning. It would be great to meet other LF shooter.

Scott Davis
16-Feb-2010, 15:06
Milton- if DC is a bit closer, a bunch of us make an at least twice-annual pilgrimage to Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. I'd also be up for doing an excursion down to St. Mary's City or some other points in that area. I know Calvert Cliffs has some potential. There's some really neat stuff between the Bay Bridge and Easton and Cambridge.

Milton Tierney
16-Feb-2010, 16:27
S. Md as a few things left. A lot has been bulldozed over for housing developments. There are a number of old small churches, but they are scatted throughout S. Md and need to hit them at the right time of day. Thomas Stone NM, Colonial Farm, Sotterly Plantation, Fort Washington are some other possibilities. Calvert Cliffs, to get to the cliffs you will need to hike about a mile. St. Mary’s City would be a good place. If you want to hookup for St. Mary’s City I’m up for it.

I’ve never been to the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens and National Arboretum. After commuting 30+ miles to DC for 30 yrs, I like to avoid traffic as much as I can. Yea I know……on the east coast, it’s like trying to avoid air.

Chris Khourey
18-Feb-2010, 17:38
Either Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens or the National Arboretum would be very nice settings for LF work. I would be very interested as soon as the weather improves and some spring blossoms appear.

Milton Tierney
19-Feb-2010, 07:44
Spring would be good. This mini ice age is getting tiring. As long it’s not windy and/or raining I’m up for a shoot at the aquatic gardens or the arboretum. I just need some advance warning to keep my calendar clear for that day. I’m retired so any day will work for me. It’ll be great to meet other LF devotees.

Pali K
13-Dec-2014, 17:29
Anyone around this area still interested in meeting up? I am from the Gaithersburg, MD area and would to connect with anyone shooting LF/MF locally.

Pali

Scott Davis
13-Dec-2014, 19:57
Hi Pali- there are definitely a bunch of us still fairly active in the area. Activities are not so fully organized, though, so the best thing to do is if there's something you want to do, give a reasonable heads up and put it out there, and it can happen. Organizing photographers in general is like herding cats; organizing large format photographers is like herding cats who are on amphetamines while you are on LSD.

Pali K
14-Dec-2014, 10:56
Thank you Scott. I heard from BarryS here who just informed me of a group that meets very close to me on a monthly basis.

BTW, You have an impressive collection of photos on your website and I really enjoyed looking at DC through your photos.

Thanks,

Pali

Chris Khourey
4-Nov-2016, 12:46
Hi Scott, Pali, and BarryS,

I would also be interested in meeting with other large format photographers in the DC area.

Best,

Chris

Mark Sampson
4-Nov-2016, 13:24
I'm in Alexandria- I'll keep an eye on this thread. Busy these days but a meet-up would be a good idea.

Tim Meisburger
4-Nov-2016, 13:53
I'm up for it. I'm going out to Great Falls tomorrow morning.

profvandegraf
4-Nov-2016, 14:17
Hello: MD DC and VA people. I am a member of a club that has monthly informal critiques in College Park, and also the occasional outing, we went to the Patapsco area last weekend. Not specifically large format but not averse to it either. message me if you are interested in more details.

Prof

Chris Khourey
5-Nov-2016, 06:19
Has anyone done LF photography at the National Arboretum?

Mark Sampson
5-Nov-2016, 16:02
Chris- it's a beautiful place at the right time of year, which might be any time. Today must have been lovely. Go.

Chris Khourey
6-Nov-2016, 06:58
Mark, Thanks. I plan to go this afternoon. Chris

fralexis
25-Nov-2016, 20:38
I plan to be on the Mall around Christmas. Are there any tips or secrets for LF shots other than the obvious? Thank.

dpaqu
23-Jun-2017, 12:35
Hello: MD DC and VA people. I am a member of a club that has monthly informal critiques in College Park, and also the occasional outing, we went to the Patapsco area last weekend. Not specifically large format but not averse to it either. message me if you are interested in more details.

Prof

Anything coming up? I'm trying to learn more about how this LF thing works and would prefer to see this process in person before I attempt on my own.

Tim Meisburger
23-Jun-2017, 13:34
Where do you live?

dpaqu
23-Jun-2017, 17:06
Where do you live?

Gaithersburg area

Louis Pacilla
25-Jun-2017, 05:42
Where do you live?

Who are you????

Tim Meisburger
25-Jun-2017, 17:47
I don't really understand your question. He is hoping to find someone to show him how 4x5 works, and I asked where he lived to see if it was near me, or near someone else. I would be happy to do that, but Gaithersburg is not near me, but perhaps other members live out there.

Who are you????

RPNugent
26-Jun-2017, 04:55
Could you be a bit more specific about what you are looking for so I can figure out if I can be of help?
Do you have a large format camera and need help figuring out how to use it?
Are you looking for someone with a camera you can go shooting with to observe the process before you buy or are you just looking for fellow large format users to hang out with and talk about photography?

dpaqu
26-Jun-2017, 17:14
Could you be a bit more specific about what you are looking for so I can figure out if I can be of help?
Do you have a large format camera and need help figuring out how to use it?
Are you looking for someone with a camera you can go shooting with to observe the process before you buy or are you just looking for fellow large format users to hang out with and talk about photography?

All the above:)

So I bought a 8x10 on impulse. I kinda know how to use it in a theoretical way. I have no idea what to do after I shoot some film. Ie no darkroom and no experience in a dark room. Film is expensive so I think this may have been a mistake.

Leigh
26-Jun-2017, 17:30
I have no idea what to do after I shoot some film.
Take it to Dodge Chrome in Silver Spring. Excellent professional lab. www.dodgechrome.com

They do b&w, E-6, and C-41 in 8x10 and all smaller formats. They do all my 8x10.

Leave your film in the holders if you don't have spare boxes. Those will be returned.

- Leigh

Tim Meisburger
27-Jun-2017, 09:21
Shall we have a LF meet-up sometime? I was thinking pot-luck breakfast at Great Falls, around 9:00 am on a Saturday. That would mean early morning light for shooting the falls, followed by breakfast.

Milton Tierney
27-Jun-2017, 10:44
The last time I was at Great Fall must have been 30+yrs. I would like to meet up whenever. I'm retired now so I have lots of time between doctors.
I'm down under in southern Maryland.

Mark Sampson
27-Jun-2017, 18:57
I usually work at The Phillips Collection on Saturdays, but perhaps we could work something out...

theschanz
28-Jun-2017, 04:26
I would also be interested in a meet up at Great Falls or wherever in Northern Virginia.

Tim Meisburger
28-Jun-2017, 04:35
Okay Milton, Schanz, lets do it. Mark, I'm fine with a Sunday, if that is easier for you. Tentatively, how about July 9 or 16?

Milton Tierney
28-Jun-2017, 04:35
That must be an interesting place. Wife and I both retired from Smithsonian. Love to meet up to do some shooting, just need a week or two heads up.

Milton Tierney
28-Jun-2017, 04:40
Sunday is good for me, less traffic. July 9th or 16th works, need time, place, and rain dates.

geneg12
28-Jun-2017, 06:45
Hi, I am in Chantilly VA and dabble in 4x5 photography. I'd love to do a meetup and shot some 4x5, in a group it would be nice to copy what others are doing and learn more about tilt, rise and swing. Great falls is a good place and if the weather holds could be some nice morning shots. Please keep me in the loop. Gene

Milton Tierney
28-Jun-2017, 10:33
You are not to far from Great Fall. Tim suggest possible meetup on Sunday July 9th or 16th. Thought Great Falls parking lot would be a good place to meet. If you need help with camera movements I will be glad to help. Love to talk shop and/or help out.

theschanz
28-Jun-2017, 10:50
either day, the 9th or 16th works for me.

Milton Tierney
28-Jun-2017, 11:13
Same here,

Tim Meisburger
28-Jun-2017, 12:55
Okay. Lets go for July 9, since I now realise I have a commitment on the 16th. I'll put up a post with a specific announcement for this meet-up.

Tim Meisburger
30-Jun-2017, 01:27
For those who did not see the other thread, we will meet July 9 (Sunday morning) at Great Falls, Virginia for breakfast. Park opens at 7:00, so there will be some time for shooting the falls before we eat, and I expect we will see each other (hard to miss), but at 9:00 we can meet by the second overlook downstream from the visitors center.

geneg12
22-Aug-2017, 06:33
I got the 4x5 negs from the June Great Falls shoot developed at DataChrome and they did a good job! Now my question is what is the best way to scan the negatives on my Epson 700 scanner? I was thinking about buying a sheet of glass, cant remember the type of glass and just put the dull side down on scanner and cover with the glass and scan. Any of the VA photographers use the Epson 700? Thanks, Gene

David Lobato
22-Aug-2017, 07:40
I use the 4x5 sheet film holder with my Epson V700. Select the Film (with Film Holder) option when you use the Epson Scan software.

dpaqu
24-Oct-2018, 12:48
I am bumping this to solicit interest in another get together. Could be Great Falls again. I have some unique access to the Airport/Seaport in Baltimore. I might be able to set something up if folks are interested.

Pali K
24-Oct-2018, 17:48
I am interested.

Pali

profvandegraf
24-Oct-2018, 19:00
I'm interested but very busy.

Todd

theschanz
25-Oct-2018, 06:08
I would be interested as well.

Steve

Chris Khourey
25-Oct-2018, 06:35
Great Falls MD or VA would interest me.

Chris

Keith Fleming
25-Oct-2018, 19:12
If small streams with small waterfalls and lots of trees fall into the OP's list of interesting places to photograph, I recommend Prince William Forest Park down in Prince William County, Virginia. The National Park Service manages the park, and in the 1930's it was a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (CCC). It was the "demonstration" camp for showing the CCC's work to members of Congress and others. Lots of good trails along the streams and in the woods. The park has existed for over 70 years now, and it gets better all the time as the trees grow larger. There are remnants of the old farms that once were there, and now and then some huge old trees that obviously once were in open fields. My late wife and I used to frequently go for day hikes there when we lived in Woodbridge, Virginia. It was great in the spring, fall and winter. She loved the beech trees that retained their leaves in the winter--and grew more photogenic as the winter sun slowly beached the leaves lighter.

Keith

David Lobato
25-Oct-2018, 20:10
I'm in Baltimore and would be interedted in Southern Maryland and northern Virginia locations.

roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau
23-Apr-2019, 08:28
Folks: Surprised to see as much life on this thread as there is. I'm just beginning to go down the LF rabbit hole, and am curious whether there are any LF shooters in Annapolis / Baltimore area? Let me add that I'm also curious whether you guys know someone who'd help a beginner learn the ropes... take a lesson, or whatever? LF isn't all that common, and it'd be handy to know the difference between actual shooting and a math concentric approach that seems to be very much in the books I have picked up ( Steve Simmons, Jack Dykinga, Leslie Stroebel and Harvey Shaman). Thanks!

Mark Crabtree
23-Apr-2019, 10:19
I'm a bit far in Morgantown, WV, though if you're ever traveling I68 stop by. I just wanted to pipe in and suggest you just don't worry about the books and just take some pictures. Then use the books, or posting/search here, to answer any questiong you can't figure out on your own. Once you know how to load a holder, you're ready to go. Lots of mistakes will happen, and you learn a lot from each one. I did some learnin' that way just last weekend. Cheap film is a big help in this, and x-ray film is probably the only thing really cheap these days. Plenty of info on x-ray film, lenses, etc here, but the biggest thing is just to make it happen. If it is a Crown Graphic with 127 Ektar, so be it, you can learn as much or more than with a hotshot setup.

Hopefully you'll find some folks nearby to meet up with. Should be more than plenty around there, even a few exist around here. Good luck.

Milton Tierney
23-Apr-2019, 11:26
I’m located in Waldorf, Southern MD. I’ve been shooting LF for 50 years now, do need to get out and shoot more. I would be glad to help with your LF. Could meet someplace in Calvert Co. Do not like large cities, to much traffic. I’m retired and have lots of free time. Let me know if I can help.

2-May-2019, 12:33
Milton: Thank you for the offer. I'm in the midst of a home sale and move which is proving a tad more disrupting than figured. Have another week or two before life starts to settle down a bit. If I may reach out to you then, fine. If not, the full resettling and access to all my stuff and ability to really get back up and running happens late summer, and if we could find a cool day then.... that might be even better. Playing it by ear in the meantime and happy to find a kindred soul not too far away... and of course I'd love to come down your way. Just down 301 a ways. Thank you!

Milton Tierney
2-May-2019, 12:56
Rt 2 or 4 south has some interesting places. When ever you are able, let me now if you still want to meetup.

Ulophot
2-May-2019, 18:03
I'm in western Loudoun County in northern VA. Enjoyed a trip to Great Falls a couple of years ago (which convinced me that I really needed to replace my 26-lb tripod/monorail combo with something my aging body could manage. 11 lbs now works for me. Would enjoy another outing.

3-May-2019, 10:57
Milton (and Philip): I would like to get together very much. We move out in a week. And then as a newby to LF 4X5 (5X4... which is it?) I'm still waiting on my first batch of film from Freestyle (Foma Creative 200). And I need a round or two of shooting on my own to have a clue. From there... We could rock this thing. My guestimate would be a cool day in late June or barring that.... and assuming some luck on my part, July... August or even September. Will be running out on Labor Day with my son driving up his "stuff" back to his home up in Minneapolis.... which is just beginning to feel good this time of year.

One of those things that makes you laugh (if you listen to some of the podcasts out there): Large Format Photo Walk ...in Canada IN the winter. That's either crazy or a degree of dedication few can match.

Milton Tierney
24-Jul-2019, 12:16
Sorry for not posting sooner. I’m retired and up to any day to get together between doctor appointments. It is a little warm now, which is OK with me or meetup this fall. Ft Washington on the Potomac can be very interesting place to shoot. Or someplace south of Annapolis. Let me know.

Ulophot
24-Jul-2019, 13:07
Just saw this as well. I have a 9-5 wt a long commute; weekend availability varies. It's best for me to plan well ahead. Given the recent heat, an early Sat or Sun morning would be my preference. Unless it cools down, Sept may indeed be a better better than July or Aug.

Milton Tierney
24-Jul-2019, 17:03
understand, did the 9-5 thing for 30yrs, weekends this fall works

Bob Sawin
5-Aug-2019, 10:27
I live near Gettysburg and would happily travel for a meet up later this year. I am currently recovering from back surgery so I'm not quite ready for an outing. I look forward to a fall meet up if the opportunity presents itself.

rgeorge911
5-Aug-2019, 16:05
Would also love to join in. I’m in N. Va., Ashburn.

Also still working, so weekends are much more likely for me. Ft. Washington is indeed a nice idea. Or maybe a civil war site?

Will subscribe to the thread so will hopefully stay up with developments.

Reed

Milton Tierney
6-Aug-2019, 07:19
Ft. Washington NP is an interesting place to shoot. The best times are between Sep and June. Just remember...when school is out all the little ones are about. I find fall and early spring are the best times. Parking is close by and ample. I’m retired so anytime during the week will work for me.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

popdoc
6-Aug-2019, 18:15
I live in Virginia Beach, and just saw this thread…

There are some beautiful things in Williamsburg, and around the ports and beaches here in Hampton Roads.

The eastern shore is an absolute delight to explore as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sepstein17
6-Aug-2019, 20:16
Used to meet with you guys but because of certain circumstances - dropped out. Would like to resurrect my "membership" and shoot with you guys -- 5x7 and 4x5 with a darkroom in the house -- also P/P --
retired so time is only side.

Thanks.

Steve Epstein
sepstein17@gmail.com

dpaqu
3-Sep-2019, 11:23
Ft. Washington NP is an interesting place to shoot. The best times are between Sep and June. Just remember...when school is out all the little ones are about. I find fall and early spring are the best times. Parking is close by and ample. I’m retired so anytime during the week will work for me.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Fall is here and school is in session We should do Great Falls or similar. Norfolk is awesome but pretty far south for a mid Atlantic get together.

25-Feb-2020, 10:44
All right. So there's no report suggesting anyone met with anyone, so I will assume that no one met to shoot together, talk LF, share prints, make prints, etc.
I'm going to suggest maybe instead of trying to organize a one-fer, we think instead of a quarterly round up for one of the activities listed (or something else entirely).
If we aim at (two to as many as ) four meetings over the next 12 months, maybe we'll get one or two. That's the idea. I am happy to start off as "host" which could mean everything from meeting at my place
or some other place that I help coordinate and count 100% on making, to simply bringing the beer, donuts, pretzels or whatever. I would also allow that "interested guests" be allowed to come
as well. If we're shooting and they're going to shoot and don't do LF, they at least commit to joining us in using a tripod.... and thereby don't complain we're not doing a "walking tour", or about the speed we're walking.

These are ideas. See what you think.

Mike Ratel
26-Apr-2020, 01:17
Hey team,
I am not new to film photography but new to LF photography. I have thought about building a photographic community as well. I maintain the Medium Format Photography group on flickr and the Washington DC area film photography group on Facebook. I will subscribe to this thread.

13-May-2020, 08:11
Folks:

I regret that since the 5/23 target for our meet-up now looms and our local establishments remain closed, it seems right to post-pone this event until the Fall. At that time if we're fortunate to see the the sun shine on these ambitions - we may plan on a get-together with the perils of a friendly and casual meeting and greeting have been debugged, and these things become fun again rather than a source of familial challenge, worry, etc.

Until then as was said on Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there!" I will post a notice again once there's more visibility on how to proceed. Thank you for your interest. I'm still looking forward to this... eventually.

Regards,
Skip Mersereau

popdoc
13-May-2020, 18:50
Thanks, Skip!

nerologic
14-May-2020, 06:49
Just joining this chain since I live in the area and wish to follow updates.

Mike Ratel
18-May-2020, 13:19
If you're on Facebook please do a search for Washington, DC Area Film Photographers and consider joining the group. We have a bunch of people shooting everything from 110 to 8x10.

Scott Davis
6-Oct-2020, 12:59
If folks are interested, I'm now hosting a monthly online get-together to talk photo and cameras for folks in the DC/MD/NoVa area. If there's an interest, let me know and I can send you the invite to the Zoom meetup in PM. We're meeting on Tuesday evenings from 7:30-8:30.

nerologic
6-Oct-2020, 13:24
I PMd you for details. Thanks Scott.

Scott Davis
7-Oct-2020, 14:42
Allcon:

I will have an updated invite sent in PM/email by this weekend.

metcaldharv
26-Nov-2020, 21:50
Is this topic still relevant?

Milton Tierney
27-Nov-2020, 06:46
I hope so!

joelio
27-Nov-2020, 09:06
I hope that it's relevant, too - I would love to meet up in person after the pandemic and would appreciate being included in Zoom meet ups until then. Thanks!

Milton Tierney
27-Nov-2020, 11:03
Ft. Washington would be a good place to meet, lots of open space and parking. Maybe this summer???

metcaldharv
3-Dec-2020, 01:29
It will be great

jmdavis
3-Dec-2020, 08:15
In Richmond, but certainly interested in any Zoom meetups pending the "end of the world as we know it."

Mike Davis

Ulophot
3-Dec-2020, 12:05
I'm in Loudoun Cty, VA. Looking forward to looking back on the pandemic and getting out with other photographers occasionally.