PDA

View Full Version : T-Max 100 and Rodinal - Anyone using?

Eric Biggerstaff
28-Jul-2008, 07:51
Hi all,

Recently I was given two 50 sheet boxes of 5X7 T-Max 100. I am running low on my standard film so I will be using the T-Max in the fall, but as this is not a film I use I am hoping I can get some processing advice. My standard developer is Rodinal 1+50 of which I have plenty of stock on hand. I was going to test it with the T-Max but was curious if any of you have ever tried this combination, and if so, what you like or don't like about it. And, if you don't like it, what combination do you think is nice?

Just in case anyone wants to know, I process in a Jobo Expert drum that rides on a Beseler motor base.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael Kadillak
28-Jul-2008, 08:14
The only developer I would use with TMX is T Max RS simply because that is what Sexton uses and you can see what it does for him. These products were made for each other.

Just so happen to have an unopened bottle of RS that I am not using that you are welcome to free of charge. I am using TMY exclusively and mixing my own chemistry so I surely do not need it. Stop by on your way home when it is convenient if this is of interest to you. No problem if you want to stick with the Rodinal. Your call.

ic-racer
28-Jul-2008, 08:36
I got good results with Rodinal and Tmax 400. Grain was greater than with T-max developer. It looked sharper, but this was subjective. HD curve was a different shape therefore there was a different 'look' to the resultant prints.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23322

Ron Marshall
28-Jul-2008, 08:55
I normally use XTOL with TMX, because the resulting negs scan well. I have used Rodinal with TMX; the tonal range is pleasant and they would be fine for traditional methods but XTOL is better for scanning due to less grain.

Eric Biggerstaff
28-Jul-2008, 09:13
Thanks guys!

Michael, T-Max RS is the one I used in the past, way past. I might take you up on the offer when I get home (I am in Costa Rica at the moment on business but heading back home on Wednesday).

Thanks for the input everyone!

Michael Kadillak
28-Jul-2008, 09:31
Thanks guys!

Michael, T-Max RS is the one I used in the past, way past. I might take you up on the offer when I get home (I am in Costa Rica at the moment on business but heading back home on Wednesday).

Thanks for the input everyone!

No problem. Safe travels.

PViapiano
28-Jul-2008, 15:12
The only developer I would use with TMX is T Max RS simply because that is what Sexton uses and you can see what it does for him. These products were made for each other.

Just so happen to have an unopened bottle of RS that I am not using that you are welcome to free of charge. I am using TMY exclusively and mixing my own chemistry so I surely do not need it. Stop by on your way home when it is convenient if this is of interest to you. No problem if you want to stick with the Rodinal. Your call.

Sexton also states he uses D76 as well, though Tmax-RS will give slightly higher speed...

Kevin Crisp
28-Jul-2008, 15:24
It is a bit more grainy with Rodinal, but quite usable. I disliked the film when I first used it, with HC110. Then I read the Sexton article suggesting D76 and have been using that 1:1 or Xtol 1:2. If temperature and agitation are consistent I find it very predictable. You may find that what initially strikes you as a somewhat thin negative turns out to print easily with no drama with TMAX. It has a different look as a negative and I think people sometimes misinterpret that as being an underdeveloped negative and add time which builds density quickly. It only takes me one more minute to get a +1.

IanG
29-Jul-2008, 01:37
Tmax 100 with Rodinal is no more grainy than any other standard developer. I used the combination right from the release of Tmax, I tried the original Tmax developer but that didn't give me as good results. I used this Tmax100/Rodinal with 35mm, 6x9 and 5x4 until deciding to switch to Pyrocat about 4 years ago.

Rodinal is a perfect developer to tame Tmax100 and I used differing dilutions for expansion & contraction. I still have Sexton's original articles on testing Tmax from Darkroom Techniques which were extremely helpful in getting to grips with the film.

Ian

Len Eselson
29-Jul-2008, 07:16
I am using Rodinal and TMX for most of my negatives.
You might like the results better if you use more dilute
developer, say 1:75. Unlike most developers, Rodinal grain
is said to be smaller at higher dilutions. I can't recall where
I read this, but grain with TMX and Rodinal 1:75 so fine that
I have trouble seeing it in my enlarger at 4X. You should
be aware that TMX is very sensitive to agitation. I use an
inversion tank, and have not tried constant rotation.

Len Eselson