PDA

View Full Version : Later Fuji 210 W coverage

Ben Syverson
27-Jul-2008, 19:33
Does anyone know if the more recent Fujinon W 210mm f/5.6 covers 8x10? I've read that the older version (Seiko, front lettering) does, but that the coverage is less with the newer ones... But how much less? Is it still doable?

David Karp
27-Jul-2008, 20:49
Specs are available here: http://members.aol.com/subgallery/

I think that the consensus is that the newer versions don't cover 8x10.

Blumine
27-Jul-2008, 21:21
Does anyone know if the more recent Fujinon W 210mm f/5.6 covers 8x10? I've read that the older version (Seiko, front lettering) does, but that the coverage is less with the newer ones... But how much less? Is it still doable?

Not just the ones in the Seiko, there are some mounted in Copal shutters too. If the lens has the lettering on the side of the barrel its got the wide coverage, ie the W and WS series. If it is on the outside rim, then they wont.

Blumine

Ben Syverson
27-Jul-2008, 21:48
I guess my confusion stems from the fact that there are newer (ie, lettering on the side) Fuji 210s that are "W" lenses as well.

But it seems that only the older (lettering on the front) Fuji 210 W's will cover 8x10?

Blumine
27-Jul-2008, 22:08
I guess my confusion stems from the fact that there are newer (ie, lettering on the side) Fuji 210s that are "W" lenses as well.

But it seems that only the older (lettering on the front) Fuji 210 W's will cover 8x10?

Thats pretty much correct. I tried a newer 210mm with the lettering on the outside and it did cover 8x10, but no room for movements. While for contact printing it would be fine, I doubt the corners would hold up under any enlargement with the newer lenses.

Blumine

MIke Sherck
28-Jul-2008, 05:29
My newer 210mm F/5.6 Fuji lens *just* covers 8x10 with perhaps a few millimeters of movement. If I don't get the lens centered on the film, it cuts the corners. Still, I don't mind: I like the perspective the lens provides and I already own one... :)

Mike

Ben Syverson
28-Jul-2008, 21:43
Excellent, thanks guys!

Dirk Rösler
1-Aug-2008, 06:49
I tried a newer 210mm with the lettering on the outside and it did cover 8x10, but no room for movements. While for contact printing it would be fine, I doubt the corners would hold up under any enlargement with the newer lenses.
Blumine

I don't quite understand the logic in the above statement: the shortage of coverage is caused by barrel/mechanical vignetting, not the end of the optical image circle. We don't know how large the theoretically usable and optically acceptable circle is and we also don't know whether it becomes unacceptable before lens barrel vignetting sets in.

Secondly, a loss of image quality at the edge of the IC would affect all film formats alike. If you would use the lens on 4x5 or 5x7 with lots of movements approaching the edge of the IC then you would face the same issues, with the added complication that greater enlargement would be required at printing stage.

I would expect that at medium to small working apertures (f32+), this lens' performance is acceptable up to the edges of the usable IC. Obviously, you would have to run tests to know for sure.

Andrea Gazzoni
5-Oct-2008, 13:32
so this one will not cover 8x10, am I right?

andre

Gem Singer
5-Oct-2008, 14:15
The lens shown in the picture is a Fujinon 210 NW, mounted in a silver rimmed Copal 1 shutter. It is EBC coated and has a 300mm. image circle.

It takes a minimum of 312.5 mm. to cover the 8x10 format, so the answer to your question is no, it will not cover 8X10 focused at infinity. However, it will just cover 8X10, with no movements, when closed down to (at least f22), and focused at very close distances.

Andrea Gazzoni
5-Oct-2008, 14:25
thanks gem!

BradS
6-Oct-2008, 11:20
Actually, Fuji say that it does. See for example, the fuji literature posted on Camera Eccentric.

Don Hutton
6-Oct-2008, 11:32
Actually, Fuji say that it does. See for example, the fuji literature posted on Camera Eccentric.No, Fuji does not claim that is does - you will see that the 8x10 is in parenthesis, meaning that is does not cover, but is close (check out some of the other lenses and format suggestions).

Gem Singer
6-Oct-2008, 12:28
Speaking from experience, I have a Fujinon f5.6 210 CM-W (Fuji's newest version of this focal length). It's image circle is said to be 309mm, slightly larger than that of the 210 NW shown in the picture. I use it for 4X5 and 5X7. However, when mounted on my Canham 8X10 it vignettes when focused at infinity and barely covers the format when centered and focused on close-up objects..

The older Fuji f6.7 250W, mounted in a Copal 1 shutter, will cover 8X10, with movements. My newer Fuji f6.3 250 CM-W, also in a Copal 1 shutter, covers 8X10 with limited movements.

If you want a great lens for 8X10 in that range of focal lengths, I recommend the Nikon-Nikkor f5.6 240W. However it is larger,heavier, and mounted in a Copal 3 shutter.

Dirk Rösler
6-Oct-2008, 17:28
I have the same lens (it's not a NW, but W as it says on the barrel - i have never heard of NW) and it covers fine even at infinity. I think I have not tried more than f32, which is my normal f anyway. It's very tight, but works. Official spec is 300mm usable. You can see a bit of vignetting creeping in on the attached, but that's lack of care when setting it up (this was the first test shot I have done with it and I was not used to corner peeking at that time). Wonderful lens, and available at bargain prices (mine was $60 due to very minor scratches which I can barely see, laughable really).

I have a 250/6.7 too, which is lovely, and much more generous for movements.

Gem Singer
6-Oct-2008, 19:56
Dirk,

Compare the speed setting ring on your shutter with the one shown in bardamu"s picture. Your shutter is an older model with a thin silver colored ring. The one on the picture is a newer one with a thick silver colored ring. The latest speed setting rings are thick black metal. That's an effective method of estimating the age of a Copal shutter, as well as the lens that is mounted in it.

Although they were labeled "W" on their lens barrels, Fuji used the designation "NW", or "NWS", in their catalogs, to connote their newer models ("N" stood for new). The latest ones are labeled "CM-W".

It's easy to see the effect of vignetting in the picture that you posted. Fuji measures their image circles at f22. Closing down even smaller doesn't seem to increase the size of the image circle.

See: members.aol.com/byfl/htm for more info.re: Fujinon lenses.

Dirk Rösler
6-Oct-2008, 21:36
Hi, mine is a Copal Press, that's why the ring is different. The lens serial is 489106 which I think is not that old.

I already stated the reasons for the vignetting. More careful setup would have avoided it.

Your link doesn't work.

David Karp
6-Oct-2008, 21:40
Here is the link: http://members.aol.com/subgallery/

Dirk Rösler
6-Oct-2008, 21:45
The filter size is totally different between W and NW, plus coating... anyway, it covers 8x10, even at infinity - just about. Perhaps with some degradation in the corners, a few mm worth... acceptable for me.

Andrea Gazzoni
10-Jan-2009, 16:00
I got an early 210 W with the inner lettering for next to nothing, but the rear cell shows pronounced separation.
I am guessing if one could just remove the old rear cell and replace with one from a newer 210 W or could this in someway interfere with coverage?

Bjorn Nilsson
10-Jan-2009, 16:40
I got an early 210 W with the inner lettering for next to nothing, but the rear cell shows pronounced separation.
I am guessing if one could just remove the old rear cell and replace with one from a newer 210 W or could this in someway interfere with coverage?

This will probably fail, as these two lenses only share a common name. They are similar but not the same construction. (But if I had the possibility I would actually test it. :) )

//Björn