PDA

View Full Version : Eastman View No 2

Swede Granstrom
27-Jul-2008, 10:00
I'm am very new to this format but consider myself a pretty serious Amateur in 35m. I recently purchased a "Eastman View no. 2" at an estate sale. It's pretty old but in very good condition. I think. Where would I go to find something about the camera, when it was made, how it works and value today.
Thanks
Swede:

Jan Pedersen
27-Jul-2008, 10:08
Welcome to the Forum. This web site has some information about old American made cameras and is at least a beginning. Nothing about values though.
Enjoy your "New" camera.
http://www.fiberq.com/cam/index.htm

Glenn Thoreson
27-Jul-2008, 11:42
Welcome, Swede! I lived 25 miles south of you for a short time in '82/83. Lovely country. There is a lot of information here on view cameras in general. The articles on the main page are a worthwhile read to get you started. If you plan on using your camera, remember that any camera is nothing more than a box to keep your dark in. They all work the same. The view camera just gives you a larger negative and a lot more control. I hope you do use it and enjoy it. Value? That's in the eye of the beholder. It could be worth a couple hundred or more to someone. It could also be priceless to you, as you learn to use it. Enjoy!

Drew Bedo
29-Jul-2008, 08:18
]Hello Swede. Wealcome to Large Format Photography and this forum! There is some sketchy unformation on this camera in McKeown's Cameras.Thew 2-D is listed briefly under Folmer & Schwing. Check the name-plate . The daates are listed as follows:

Folmer & Schwing (NYC)..............1887
Folmer & Schwing Mfg Co (NYC)...1890
Folmer & Schwing Co
of New York...............................1903
Folmer & SchwingCo
Rochester (EKC).........................1905
Folmer & Schwing Div of EKC.......1907
Folmer & Schwing Dept of EKC.....1917
Folmer Grafkex Corp...................1926
GRAFLEX cORP...........................1945

This information is found on page 220 of the 11th edition, 2001-2002.

I have a "late" model and it works great for me. Try to find a bed extension for it and the sliding tripod mount. I'm sure that you will enjoy yours...show us some pictures!

Regards,

Drew Bedo
29-Jul-2008, 11:09
OK, I can't seem to delete or edit the previous post. Here is the corrected text.

]Hello Swede. Welcome to Large Format Photography and this forum! There is some sketchy information on this camera in McKeown's Price Guide to Cameras.The 2-D is listed briefly under Folmer & Schwing. Check the name-plate on your camera. The dates are listed as follows:

Folmer & Schwing (NYC)..............1887
Folmer & Schwing Mfg Co (NYC)...1890
Folmer & Schwing Co
of New York...............................1903
Folmer & SchwingCo
Rochester (EKC).........................1905
Folmer & Schwing Div of EKC.......1907
Folmer & Schwing Dept of EKC.....1917
Folmer Grafkex Corp...................1926
GRAFLEX cORP...........................1945

This information is found on page 220 of the 11th edition for 2001-2002.

I have a "late" model 2-D and it works great for me. Try to find a bed extension for it and the sliding tripod mount. I'm sure that you will enjoy yours...show us some pictures!

Regards,