PDA

View Full Version : Advice on an old Kodak folder?

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jul-2008, 09:13
A customer of mine bought his 17 yr. old daughter a 3A folder from an antique shop. Big mistake #1. He paid way to much and the lens iris blades are off and need repair. Big mistake #2. Also he wants his daughter to be able to use this camera? Big mistake #3.
From some limited research I found that these cameras use 122mm film. It would need to be converted to 120 and that may be costly. I need to tell him he bought an expensive display item for his home. What type of camera should I recommend he get his daughter. I really need to talk to her to find out what her interests are but it seems like she like old folders. Don't want to discourage but encourage another young film shooter. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Jim

Bernard Kaye
27-Jul-2008, 10:37
A Super Ikonta or Ikonta C, takes 120 film, is if anything, overengineered, if in good shape, will last. Or the B series, C takes eight 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inch, B takes 2 1/4 inch square, Supers have coupled range finder, a "mess" Ikonta has an uncoupled-distance determining range finder and is not recommended by me.
They come with Tessars or lesser Novars, get the Tessar. The C may have a removable mask in it that lets her take 16 in place of 8 pictures. The Super B may be a BX which has an uncoupled selenium light meter that no longer works but takes 12 square pictures, the B w/o light meter takes only 11 but is easier to tote and load. Instruction booklets are out there and I have used them with both uncoated and coated lenses, get the coated which may lead to less costly B, a coated C is more costly.
Kodak & Ansco made excellent equivalents but are not as readily available.
Avoid the Voigtlander Bessa; its lenses are great, Color Scopar, Heliar and maybe Apo-Lanthar, its concept is superb but its execution not so, it is fragile by comparison.
The best overall are the Super Ikonta III, no light meter, Novar lens in U. S. version, Tessar available in European version. The IV has that now probably useless selenium uncoupled light meter but the III & !V are lighter and take the 12 square pictures..
British army used the Super Bs as their WWII camera including in North Africa. If she becomes proficient, ask about a Kodak Medalist II with Lumenized Ektar, no bellows but superb when functioning with still somewhat available 620 film, those converted to 120 are difficult to load and unload, I mean difficult. Good Luck to you, give her Papa's love. Bernie Kaye

Ken Lee
27-Jul-2008, 10:56
Have a look at Vintage Folding Cameras (http://www.certo6.com/index.html).

I have 2 Agfas, a 6x9 and a 6x6, and love (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/tech.html#Folders) them.

Bill L.
27-Jul-2008, 11:27
My wife has a Kodak Rainbow Hawkeye #2 folding model b - a nice green folder that takes 120 film. The bellows unfortunately are black and non-original - I haven't seen a whole lot of these, but everyone I've seen with the original colored bellows are nowhere near light tight. If they want the old kodaks, they have to go old enough that the models didn't use Kodak's 620 film (unless they feel like trying to wind 120 onto 620 spools). There are a number of old kodaks that used 120 film, including the old box cameras from the 20's, with one shutter speed and single element lens - you should be able to get one of these for $5-10. The more modern folders are lovely, and I have been tempted by Certo6's cameras Ken references in his post - the seller CLAs the shutter and replaces the bellows if not up to snuff. You can also pick up Zeiss-Ikonta TLRs reasonably inexpensively compared to the Zeiss super Ikonta folders. Personally, I'm partial to Graflex - I have an RB Series B 6X9 SLR with a 120 roll back, seen here (http://hankinslawrenceimages.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/graflex-slr-camera/).

Cheers!
Bill

Glenn Thoreson
27-Jul-2008, 11:29
I like the little 6X4.5 folders. They come in many flavors and some are exceptionally good. 16 shots on 120 makes them economical, too, and they're compact little things. The Daichi Zenobia is a good one, as well as the Weltax and Waltax. The Zeiss Ikonta 6X4.5 with the Novar lens is surprisingly good stopped down. I think I have 15 or so folders that I use occasionally. I can make you some spool spacers for your 3A on the lathe. A lot of folks just let the 120 film float around in the oversized film gate and it seems to work okay, judging by some contact prints sent to me. I have a couple of Kodak folders for 6X9 on 120 film if you're interested. Cheap and basic.

Bernard Kaye
27-Jul-2008, 14:58
I confuse Agfa & Ansco, may have meant to say Agfa; they are excellent.. The small Ikonta that takes only 16 (not optional 16) on 120 film is a good camera but is not user friendly, too small for many hands. The 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 Ikontas have good gripping areas and are user friendly when held properly, left hand under fold out bed, right hand around the camera, etc. The 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 models are big for all but this forum but the reducing masks give the option of 16 pictures 6 x 4.5cm. I used the 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 Ikonta B, no rangefinder, in Alaska in 1940s; uncoated Tessar: only it and our reconnaisance company MD's Contax II worked; the winterized Graphics were not functioning. Give her the thrill of seeing color shots on 120: is 120 color transparencyslide film available? The nonrangefinder Ikonta B is not costly compared to "rare" ebay items and is durable, I have mine. Bernie

E. von Hoegh
27-Jul-2008, 18:53
My wife has a Kodak Rainbow Hawkeye #2 folding model b - a nice green folder that takes 120 film. The bellows unfortunately are black and non-original - I haven't seen a whole lot of these, but everyone I've seen with the original colored bellows are nowhere near light tight. If they want the old kodaks, they have to go old enough that the models didn't use Kodak's 620 film (unless they feel like trying to wind 120 onto 620 spools). There are a number of old kodaks that used 120 film, including the old box cameras from the 20's, with one shutter speed and single element lens - you should be able to get one of these for $5-10. The more modern folders are lovely, and I have been tempted by Certo6's cameras Ken references in his post - the seller CLAs the shutter and replaces the bellows if not up to snuff. You can also pick up Zeiss-Ikonta TLRs reasonably inexpensively compared to the Zeiss super Ikonta folders. Personally, I'm partial to Graflex - I have an RB Series B 6X9 SLR with a 120 roll back, seen here (http://hankinslawrenceimages.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/graflex-slr-camera/).

Cheers!
Bill

I have the same green Rainbow Hawkeye!! Original bellows, too. Put a flashlight inside in a darkened room and they light up like a planetarium. My Grandmother gave it to me about 1972 or so.

Edit: I HAD the same Graflex, and traded it off. I really need a smack sometimes.

Jim Galli
27-Jul-2008, 19:18
Keep in mind you can wind any old 70mm film on spools for the 116 cameras like the Pocket Folding #2. Hard to find spools for developing. Get her that little 5X7 I just posted! Then she could make sweet contact prints for very little $$. It's girl size at 3 3/4 pounds :p Oh, I'm asking for trouble. The 3a is about the worst case scenario.

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jul-2008, 21:31
Thanks everyone. I'm going to meet with her father tomorrow and break the bad news. I'm glad I have some options to offer that may not be all that expensive. If we have any more please keep them coming.

Jim

Bill L.
28-Jul-2008, 16:56
Edit: I HAD the same Graflex, and traded it off. I really need a smack sometimes.

And I made the mistake of letting my wife shoot a polaroid off of the 3x4 RB super D. I'm not sure I'm going to get it back. . .

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jul-2008, 17:22
And I made the mistake of letting my wife shoot a polaroid off of the 3x4 RB super D. I'm not sure I'm going to get it back. . .

Bill, I have always had one eye on a Graflex. I think I will recommend one and see what kind of budget dad has and I can then shop. Thanks for all of the great advice. Oh, by the way my friend/customer was not in today, he owns the company so I'll find out tomorrow and let everyone know.

Jim