PDA

View Full Version : ULF Chamonix Experiences ??

rknewcomb
26-Jul-2008, 12:13
Hello,
The Chamonix is a very nice little design, but I'd like to know how well it translates up to 14x17. Is the front standard rigid when it has to stand quite so tall as for a 14x17 or bigger format? I wouldn't be putting a hugh 8 pound brass Dallmeyer lens on it, but I would probably be wanting to use at least medium to large vintage lenses - can the front hold this steady?
Even on 7x17 and 12x20 the front doesn't have to be as tall as 14x17.
thanks folks!
Robert Newcomb

Richard K.
27-Jul-2008, 08:55
Wish I could help you Robert but I won't be getting my 14x17 Chamonix until November! I too would like to hear opinions on this!

Monty McCutchen
27-Jul-2008, 20:33
Richard,

Glad to see that you jumped in!! What made you finally decide on 14 x 17 over 16 x 20 or 20 x 24? I know you have considered all of these over time. Can't help with any insight with Chamonix but I'm glad you will soon be shooting the big negatives. You won't regret it.

congrats,

Monty

Richard K.
27-Jul-2008, 21:58
Richard,

Glad to see that you jumped in!! What made you finally decide on 14 x 17 over 16 x 20 or 20 x 24? I know you have considered all of these over time. Can't help with any insight with Chamonix but I'm glad you will soon be shooting the big negatives. You won't regret it.

congrats,

Monty

Hey thanks Monty; I really appreciate you saying this! I was originally going to get a 16x20 (and maybe still might :) ) but I've recently turned into a Sexagenarian :eek: and am afraid to be too big too soon. I'll work with the 14x17 for a while (it will be fairly light for a reversible camera - around 18 lbs) and if my back and heart hold up, I'd probably settle down to a 16x20 for the remainder of my golden years :o
Anyway, seriously thanks and I totally appreciate the encouragement! Now if Chamonix could just find a way of speeding things up....:)

-Richard

toyosnapper
28-Jul-2008, 03:06
Robert,
Have you tried carrying an 18lb camera + bits around? My 4 x 5 Toyo outfit - camera + 3 lenses, 2 RFBs, meter, dark cloth & loupe weighs in at 8 kgs, & that means my assistant (AKA 'wife') carries the tripod. Try it. Best wishes, Dennis

Jiri Vasina
28-Jul-2008, 04:19
My f.64 bag with Chamonix 5x8, Fuji GW690 and all the other goodies weighs around 10kg + another 2kg for the tripod. No problem carrying this even for longer hikes. It all depends on the bag - how the weight is distributed. And f.64 bags are excellent at that.

So I think Robert might be fine carrying his camera... (also depending on physical condition, of course).

Jiri

rknewcomb
29-Jul-2008, 07:35
I'm too old to carry it or much else. I roll it.
Robert