PDA

View Full Version : Support your Local Auction House

Michael Graves
25-Jul-2008, 14:59
This isn't large format specifically, but it could easily bleed over if you watch carefully. I happened across an add for one of our local auctioneers this week. On the listing was "A box of old cameras". I had never been to that auction before, and that was the incentive for me to go. I got there an hour early s I could poke around, but it seems that only perfunctory poking was allowed. You could not examine the contents of boxes. Imagine that. There was a lot of old junk furniture labeled as antique and a marvelous old jukebox that I knew I'd NEVER be able to afford. On top of the box of cameras was an old Zeiss folder that looked interesting and some Studio Pro film holders that looked in good shape. There was a Kodak Retinette and a Voightlander Bessa. So I thought I'd hang around.

About an hour into the auction, I was ready to flea the market. The jukebox sold for just under $500, which I suppose was a great price for it...but way out of my league. An old beat up chest of drawers that I probably would have thrown out went for $375.00. At this rate, I figured my chances of being able to afford the cameras to fall between miniscule and nil. Still, I'm an optimist. Me and one other guy bid against each other for a while and he dropped out at $40.00. I don't even know why I stayed in that long, but I'm glad I did.

In the box were the aforementioned cameras and film holders. The SPs look a lot like my new Toyos, only they have metal slides. Beneath all that was the stuff the auctioneer SHOULD have put on top. I got a very nice Rolleiflex TLR and TWO Rolleicord TLRs. There was a very old but very nice EXA 35mm with a Zeiss Tessar lens. There were several filters and a lens shade for the Rolleis as well. All the stuff was so clean I figured it had to be a collector that either died or put away and the kids were cashing in.

I'm gonna need another display case for my camera collection. I had to take a couple out to make room for these babies.

BarryS
25-Jul-2008, 15:23
What a great score! I love these stories. My experience with auctions is that you really need to get lucky because just as often, there is someone bidding way too high for the stuff being sold. It takes a lot of time and effort to go to auctions and I've come up empty handed usually. But those hidden Rollei's--that's just beautiful.