PDA

View Full Version : The suspense is killing me!

jasonjoo
24-Jul-2008, 15:48
Is anyone else waiting for their Chamonix to arrive sometime in August? I've been fortunate enough to get my name on the list at the end of May, so the wait hasn't been too long for me, but even still, the suspense is killing me!

It would have been nice to have a LF camera to play with during the down time, but this is my first camera in this territory.

Gaahh!

Tony Flora
25-Jul-2008, 06:19
I was told by Hugo that the expected ship date is July 25th, EMS from China. I figured I wouldn't start harassing him until Aug.1. I find it helpful to go out scouting with the digital camera to pass the time.

Peter De Smidt
25-Jul-2008, 06:36
I have one coming in the same shipment.

k_redder
25-Jul-2008, 07:42
I've got one coming in this shipment too. The last update I saw from Hugo was that the target ship date was now early/mid August, but not later than August 15th, so July 25 (today?) shipment would be a pleasant surprise. I've been on the list since March. If I didn't have the darkrom project to keep me occupied, I would have had a harder time with the wait, so it hasn't been too bad. But of course, the darkroom is taking longer than I had hoped, so the camera will arrive before I can do much of anything with it. Looks like I'll have a bit of time to get to know it before I can really take it out for a spin. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh rather than having to stare longingly at pics of them on the internet. Soon enough, I guess.
Kurt

gevalia
25-Jul-2008, 08:44
I'm in the same shipment.

Hugo Zhang
25-Jul-2008, 09:04
I have just received the word from the factory that the shipping will be early next week. I will get the EMS tracking number for everyone on the list once the cameras are shipped.

Thanks.
Hugo

Tony Flora
25-Jul-2008, 09:07
Thanks for the update Hugo! Communication has been great, thank you!

Tony Flora
25-Jul-2008, 09:10
Kurt,
Have you thought at all about Fuji Instant Print? Megaperls may still have a used PA-45 for sale. I just bought one from Dirk and he shipped right away, was very easy to deal with. Just a thought.
Tony

jasonjoo
25-Jul-2008, 09:57
Thanks Hugo! I was just going to e-mail you about tracking information.

Now that the ship date is getting even closer, the suspense is getting greater. I'm going to drive up to Freestyle in a few days to pick up some sheet film :)

Jason

D. Bryant
25-Jul-2008, 10:55
I have just received the word from the factory that the shipping will be early next week. I will get the EMS tracking number for everyone on the list once the cameras are shipped.

Thanks.
Hugo
Hugo,

Are the cameras going to be shipped directly to the purchasers? I assume they will be since you mentioned EM - Express Mail.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Hugo Zhang
25-Jul-2008, 11:00
Each camera will be shipped directly to your address from China. It takes about a week or less to reach your door after shipping. :)

jasonjoo
25-Jul-2008, 11:14
Each camera will be shipped directly to your address from China. It takes about a week or less to reach your door after shipping. :)

Hugo, I am not familiar with EMS. UPS usually leaves packages at my doorstep but Fedex almost always requires signature. Do you happen to know what the practices of EMS are? If I happen to not be home on the day my camera arrives, I would be very sad if it was shipped back to China! :)

Thanks,

Jason

Maretzo
25-Jul-2008, 12:09
I am a veteran, my chamonix was ordered in December 2007!:D

Hugo Zhang
25-Jul-2008, 12:11
Jason,

Your postman will leave a brown note in your mailbox for you to pick the package up at the post ofice the next day. With EMS tracking, you will know when it clears custom and heads your way.

Hugo

jasonjoo
25-Jul-2008, 12:15
Jason,

Your postman will leave a brown note in your mailbox for you to pick the package up at the post ofice the next day. With EMS tracking, you will know when it clears custom and heads your way.

Hugo

Thanks Hugo. So I'm guessing that USPS will be handling the package once it enters the United States?

Jason

Hugo Zhang
25-Jul-2008, 13:33
Jason,

All EMS packages will be handled by USPS. EMS stands fro Express Mail Services.

Hugo

Jan Pedersen
25-Jul-2008, 14:01
And believe me it is Express. My Chamonix arrived aprox 56 hours after it was shipped from China :D

Daniel_Buck
25-Jul-2008, 14:10
this include those who were ordering accessories only? (bellows and such)

Hugo Zhang
25-Jul-2008, 14:38
Daniel,

All accessory orders from the first batch users will be shipped to me next month and I will ship them out once I get them. Believe it or not, the shipping itself costs more for certain items.

Hugo

jasonjoo
25-Jul-2008, 14:48
Jason,

All EMS packages will be handled by USPS. EMS stands fro Express Mail Services.

Hugo

Hi Hugo, thanks for clearing that up. I assumed it was another third party mailing service.

And believe me it is Express. My Chamonix arrived aprox 56 hours after it was shipped from China :D

Jan, that sure is encouraging! I'm getting all worked up here :)

Jason

Aahx
25-Jul-2008, 16:47
This is good news.... I ordered mine in Feb. But at least I have had my Wista to play with in the interim.

Hugo Zhang
29-Jul-2008, 15:27
The factory has shipped 2/3 of the orders and the rest will be shipped in the next few days. I will send the EMS tracking number to everyone's emailbox in the next few hours. Here is the EMS website. You need to type in your number...

http://www.ems.com.cn/english-main.jsp

k_redder
29-Jul-2008, 18:52
The factory has shipped 2/3 of the orders and the rest will be shipped in the next few days. I will send the EMS tracking number to everyone's emailbox in the next few hours. Here is the EMS website. You need to type in your number...

http://www.ems.com.cn/english-main.jsp

Thanks Hugo!
Now the next 6 days will feel about as long as the last 6 months.:D

Dave - Landscapes
30-Jul-2008, 03:10
Hi everyone! My Chamonix is on its way to downunder. Hugo has just sent me the tracking number and a check shows it has started on its journey. Can't wait to get it out in the field.

Anyone else getting the walnut/gray combination?

Regards

Dave

Tony Flora
30-Jul-2008, 07:52
Dave. I also order the walnut/gray combo. I like the darker wood color. Should be here by Friday. Can't wait to get out and shoot this camera. There is a beautiful beach close by with tons of driftwood and fallen trees. I have been scouting the location with my digital camera and I really want to see what a large format negative looks like. Can't wait.

Jeff Bannow
30-Jul-2008, 08:05
Got a walnut/gray coming to me as well. I have been waiting at least 20 years for the camera to ship .... at least it feels that way. :)

Can't wait to start shooting, and just in time to take along on my summer road trip.

jasonjoo
30-Jul-2008, 11:54
My package was released from customs yesterday around noon, so I should be expecting it soon enough!

I ordered the walnut/black combo!

GSX4
30-Jul-2008, 12:21
Hugo, I ordered mine through the E'Bay deal about 3 months back and got asked for final payment via Paypal last week. I am assuming I am in on the same shipment? I too, ordered the walnut / titanium colored anodizing.

Jeff Bannow
30-Jul-2008, 12:31
Tracking shows that mine is now in JFK airport for sorting. I will resist the urge to drive to New York and try to pick it up. :)

Hugo Zhang
30-Jul-2008, 12:46
Andrew,

As I have no relationship with that ebay store, I don't know anything about what is going on. They are not supposed to take orders for these 45n-1 cameras. You can email them and ask.

jasonjoo
30-Jul-2008, 13:28
Mine arrived at my local post office at 7AM this morning. The shipping is INCREDIBLY fast. I hope it's on the truck as we speak!

Jason

stompyq
30-Jul-2008, 14:02
Can't wait to get my tracking number as well!!

jasonjoo
30-Jul-2008, 15:43
Don't mean to rub it in... but my Chamonix arrived! It is beautiful! And even though this is my first view camera, the craftsmanship is fine, FINE work! I loved the little locks that lock the front and rear standards in place!

Can't wait to try this bad boy out!

Thanks Hugo and Chamonix!

Jason

Peter De Smidt
30-Jul-2008, 17:15
Jason, you're killing me:) I Haven't received my tracking number yet.

BarryS
30-Jul-2008, 17:24
Jason willed his camera to arrive so quickly. It slipped out the plane's cargo hold and flew itself to America. You can't compete with that. :)

ericantonio
30-Jul-2008, 17:42
O...M....G..!!!!
Got home today just now and there's a "Sorry we missed you!" postcard from the postoffice.
Country of Origin....CHINA!!!
Sweeet Buttah!!! My Chamonix is here!!!!!
And I have all my lenses on new Wista boards....
Danggggggg!!! I CAN'T WAIT TIL TOMORROW!!
2 new packs of 'roid 55 in the fridge is watin'

Lon Overacker
30-Jul-2008, 17:51
Mine arrived today! Hugo sent a note yesterday with the tracking number. Tracking said it had just cleared customs.... I figured it would be another week or so - it came today!

This is one sweet camera. The build quality, engineering are excellent! No manual or anything, but who can't figure out how to open and close a 4x5? At least I don't have to figure out no histogram or white balance... :-)

Even racked out, this camera is solid and rigid. Opening and folding is quick even after just a few minutes of practicing. Everything is tight, yet smooth. This is going to be a fun camera and one that I hope to have for a long time.

My big mistake... Wisner/ZoneVI 4" lens boards are NOT the same as Linhof/Wista boards... Oh well, just put an order thru KEH for some replacements.

Wishes:
- The GG protector is a great idea, but it's quite quirky to put on and take off. But after fiddling and practicing I finally figured it out. There's actually an orientation to the cover. Also, you have to lift the spring back out a bit in order to get the cover on/off. I may make a modification and add a small knob/handle to make things easier.

- I wish the screw for the front standard was a thumb-screw style rather than a "wing-nut" style. The good thing is that it only takes a few revolutions to screw in and out. also, it makes it much easier and accessible if you raise the front standard to create some clearance.

This is the very first brand new piece of LF equipment I've ever purchased. I'm looking forward to taking this baby for a test drive.

Lon

Hugo Zhang
30-Jul-2008, 17:58
Peter,

You inbox here won't take PMs and I don't have your email address. But here it is..

Maple/Gray + bag bellows + extension rack
One camera in maple/gray枫钛
One bag bellows广角皮腔
One extension rack延长板 (注:未发)

Shipping Address:地址(美国)

Peter De Smidt
C/O Image Studios
1100 South Lynndale Drive
Appleton, WI 54914
U.S.A.
Tel: 920-517-8612

EMS: EA968191563CN

The factory has run out of the extension rack and they will ship you one later.

Hugo

jasonjoo
31-Jul-2008, 00:01
Jason, you're killing me:) I Haven't received my tracking number yet.

Sorry Peter! But in all fairness, this is my first LF camera, so wish me luck :)

Jason willed his camera to arrive so quickly. It slipped out the plane's cargo hold and flew itself to America. You can't compete with that. :)

The force was strong with this one... :)

O...M....G..!!!!
Got home today just now and there's a "Sorry we missed you!" postcard from the postoffice.
Country of Origin....CHINA!!!
Sweeet Buttah!!! My Chamonix is here!!!!!
And I have all my lenses on new Wista boards....
Danggggggg!!! I CAN'T WAIT TIL TOMORROW!!
2 new packs of 'roid 55 in the fridge is watin'

I wish I had learned about this LF stuff sooner! Every time I see photos taken with Type 55 film, I get a little sadder inside. I wish Polaroid would never stop producing such beautiful film!

Jason

Dave - Landscapes
31-Jul-2008, 02:54
Tony,

Dave. I also order the walnut/gray combo. Good to see others have great taste! I've been shooting 4x5 for about 10 years now and never fail to be amazed with the great detail they contain. Wait till you see your first results!

Everone,

Noticed a few others have ordered an extension board for longer lenses. Wished I'd thought of that. Does anyone know if you need a longer set of bellows to use with the extension?

Regards

Dave

BarryS
31-Jul-2008, 06:26
The extension is useable with the existing bellows. In any case, there is no longer set of bellows. I ordered the universal bellows and will report back on the length and flexibility compared to the standard bellows.

keng
31-Jul-2008, 07:28
Walnut/Grey Too.

Mine will arrive tomorrow morning with extension rack and bag bellow!

hase
31-Jul-2008, 08:16
walnut/black with universal bellows

& saturday I will be in the Dolomites for one week - afraid without the 45n

:-(((

ericantonio
31-Jul-2008, 08:19
Got to the post office this morning, so excited.
Hmm, box looks kinda..
...small
Getting depressed....did I order something else or win something on ebay that I didn't know about....
oh well
got to the car, ripped it open
sooo....light....what is it
hmm
wow, its in there nice...nice domke like wrap....
OMG! It is my Cham!! Man....its .... TINY!!!
much smaller than I thought. I can actually travel with this thing!!!
Wow, the quality is increadible!

D. Bryant
31-Jul-2008, 14:19
Is anyone else waiting for their Chamonix to arrive sometime in August? I've been fortunate enough to get my name on the list at the end of May, so the wait hasn't been too long for me, but even still, the suspense is killing me!

It would have been nice to have a LF camera to play with during the down time, but this is my first camera in this territory.

Gaahh!
Got mine today at noon! Looks great!

Don Bryant

Dave - Landscapes
1-Aug-2008, 05:58
Mine arrived this morning! Opened it and what a fantastic surprise - so light and well made! I take my hat off to the Chamonix team. They have made a beautiful camera. Took less than 5 minutes to work out the controls.

Shipping was fast. Shipped on the 28th, arrived 8am on the 1st in Aus.

Now for the real test in the field on the weekend!

Regards

Dave

Jeff Bannow
1-Aug-2008, 06:17
Got mine this morning as well and it looks great. I am going to take her out for a test drive tomorrow.

Thanks Hugo and Chamonix!

stompyq
1-Aug-2008, 06:33
Tapping fingers.....pulling hair......AHHHHH!!!!!!
hugo your killing me!!

Sorry

Eagerly awaiting my tracking number. I was very late on the boat and just thankfull that hugo bumped me up to the august batch

ericantonio
1-Aug-2008, 07:38
I love the smell of that new wood finish in the morning....yum.....

k_redder
1-Aug-2008, 10:57
Talk about suspense..... So USPS attempts delivery yesterday (7/31) and nobody's home, so I come home to the dreaded pink slip. I hate the pink slip. I understand it, but I don't like it. The camera is now going to tour my neighborhood for the rest of the day and I can't touch it. Pink slip says will not attempt re-delivery, package available at Post Office as of 8 a.m. 8/1. Okay, I can wait one more day. Give slip to my wife so she can go to Post office at lunch to pick up camera. Post Office looks, and looks... no box, "must still be on the truck" they tell her. DOOOHHHH!!! Now I get to do this for another day. For the next 18 hrs my brain will manufacture and replay every scene where I show up at the Post Office tomorrow morning and I get some other excuse as to why I can't get my camera.
This is some sort of test, I just know it.

davidb
1-Aug-2008, 11:06
Congrats to all of you.

It's a really wonderful camera.

Jeff Bannow
1-Aug-2008, 11:12
Question for whomever - the markings on the ground glass don't list the size they represent. Does anyone have a chart or photo or something showing what's what?

Walter Jakubowski
9-Aug-2008, 11:23
My 045N-1 arrived yesterday 08/08/08. How fitting! The camera is even more
beautifully crafted than I imagined it would be. This is my first "new" camera in over
25 yrs of shooting 4x5. I ordered the dark walnut with grey metal. It is simply gorgeous!!

Walter

Lee wonho
9-Aug-2008, 22:42
Hello jbannow!
this web help you..http://www.traditionalphotographer.net/Articles.aspx?Article=5

wonho

Jeff Bannow
10-Aug-2008, 14:52
Hello jbannow!
this web help you..http://www.traditionalphotographer.net/Articles.aspx?Article=5

wonho

Sort of - my Chamonix came with a ground glass with no numbers on the back. I figured out the 6 x etc., and there are marks that are I think for a Polaroid 405 holder.

Does everyone else have numbers on their ground glass?

Walter Jakubowski
10-Aug-2008, 16:21
I ordered mine with a clear glass after reading a post
where somone complained of all the markings. My Deardorff camera
has a clear glass and that's what I'm used to. The glass is easily
replaced.