PDA

View Full Version : Humping 8x10 more than 100 feet from the car

BradS
24-Jul-2008, 12:49
My mind is wandering this week. Lately, I've been thinking alot about an 8x10 field camera...

I wonder how many of you carry an 8x10 field camera into the field. How many lenses do you carry? It seems to me that the bigger the format, the fewer lenes one needs/carries. Is that reality?

I recently handled (fondled?) a 240mm Sironar-N in copal #3...does anybody actually carry one of these things? It seems huge!

What pack or...box or mule do you use to hump your stuff?

Nick_3536
24-Jul-2008, 12:56
Get a light weight 8x10. Mine is something less then 9 lbs. Some 4x5s are heavier then that. Add some light lenses. 450mm C Fuji. 300m F/9 Nikon or Fuji. Various choices in 210mm range.

The big fast lenses in #3 are not for the faint of heart. OTOH the 300 and 360mm fast lenses can be relatively cheap.

reellis67
24-Jul-2008, 13:02
I have a wooden 8x10 that is not all that heavy really. I also have a T.R. triple convertible lens for it that weighs almost as much as the camera! If you go with a lighter model they really are not all that bad. I really need to get a pack for mine - right now I'm kind of limited in how far I can go with it. As far as lenses go, I have two lenses, one heavy and one light, so I can't really speak to the issue of fewer lenses. For me, the limitation is cost rather than weight.

If you decide to go that route, I'd strongly suggest photobackpacker's new backpacks. They look like they would handle an 8x10 in comfort and safety. I'm saving up for one now if it's any consideration...

- Randy

MIke Sherck
24-Jul-2008, 13:04
When I had the Wehman (about 8.5 lbs for the camera,) last year I carried a Fujinon 420mm in copal 3 and a Fuji 210mm in copal 1. ALong with loupe, Sekonic meter, filters, etc. I stuffed it into a cheap Spaulding backpack. Seperately I had a tripod with a home-made carrying strap and a cooler bag with 4 to 6 film holders. I was very mobile for at least a few miles and that includes up sand dunes/ice hummocks, etc. I'm 50, so my 'leaping small chasms' days are over. :)

Mike

David A. Goldfarb
24-Jul-2008, 13:06
I carry my 8x10" Gowland PocketView in a knapsack made for laptop computers.

If I want to go really light, I'll carry just one or two lenses or a casket set, maybe only normal to wide so I can leave the extension rail at home, three wooden holders, BlackJacket, Digisix meter, a few gel filters and holder, and maybe even just a light set of tripod legs without a head, leaving the rail clamp attached to the tripod. I can get the whole kit down to 18 lbs that way, and it works pretty well for architecturals and cityscapes that I do around town.

More typically, though, I'll take about 5 or 6 lenses in the same bag (120/14 Berthiot Perigraphe, maybe a 168mm ser. iii Dagor, 8.25" Dagor, 10" WF Ektar, 12" Dagor, 19" Apo Artar--the 10", 12", and 19" all share the same Ilex 5 shutter), bring the extension rail, and use a larger tripod. This kit's more along the lines of 30-35 lbs including tripod. I tend to carry three or four holders and a half frame pano mask in my bag, but if I'm in a position to go back to the car at some point, I may have more holders loaded in the car.

BarryS
24-Jul-2008, 13:16
I've recently been carrying around my Deardorff V8, 240mm f/5.6 Symmar-S in a copal #3, 4 holders, darkcloth, tripod, and assorted stuff mostly in a large duffle bag. It's heavy. I've been waiting for the new Crumpler roller backpack, but I may break down and buy a Kelty Redwing before I drop dead. I still need to get a Deardorff to Technika board adapter so I can use my small lenses with the dorff, but I don't envision carrying more than two lenses at one time. I also have 300 and 360mm Sironar N lenses and they're massive, but they really light up the groundglass. I figure as long as I have the Deardorff, a couple of extra pounds in glass isn't a big deal.

RichardRitter
24-Jul-2008, 13:33
I take mine as far as 4 miles into the forest. I take one lens 6 film holders light meter and tripod. If I am going any distance or over rocky ground I will take a Bogen 3001 tripod. If I go down to the swamp/bog I will take the Ries tripod. The lens I take will depend on where I am going and what I am after. I sometime use a modified pack frame to carrier the equipment other wise I put the camera on the tripod and throw it over my shoulder. Lens is carried in the film holder pack.

Dan Schmidt
24-Jul-2008, 13:38
I walk all around towns and trails with my wehman 8x10 (strapped to the outside of the pack).

My fuji C450 usually gets folded up in the camera. Tripod gets slung around my shoulder.

Typically in the pack there will be:

5x7 reducing back

2-3 8x10 holders

4-6 5x7 holders

sekonic spot meter

24 " artar mounted in copal 3

dark cloth

dity bag with filters cable release etc..

strapping the wehman to the outside of the backpack , means that i don't need a huge pack.

Jan Pedersen
24-Jul-2008, 13:45
I carry my 810 Chamonix togther with 4 lenses, 3 film holders and the usual small stuff in a Tamrac Expedition 8. A Feisol 3472 in it's dedicated bag which is big enough to hold a few bottles of water. Altogether close to 35 pound. An 8 to 9 mile hike is about my limit at the moment.

Vaughn
24-Jul-2008, 13:52
My Zone VI/Ries pod combination, several lenses and 5 to 7 holders weigh about 60 pounds. I have a self-modified backpack it all (except pod) it fits into. I hike all day with it...a good workout, even if I don't make a good photo!

Don't hike as fast nor as far as I use to...in my younger days, I considered a 60 pound pack as a light one (I carried 85+ pounds for 11 day hikes down into the Grand Canyon with my 4x5). At 54, the 45 pound pack (and 15 lb pod) is not uncomfortable (I am 6'4", 240 lbs), but can be tiring. I just do not consider getting tired as a "negative"...some people actually pay to get workouts in gyms, etc! I carry the pod in my hand so when hiking I can plant the tripod on the ground...that way I am stepping up or down with only the 45 pounds of the pack affecting my muscles and my knees.

vaughn

E. von Hoegh
24-Jul-2008, 13:55
My mind is wandering this week. Lately, I've been thinking alot about an 8x10 field camera...

I wonder how many of you carry an 8x10 field camera into the field. How many lenses do you carry? It seems to me that the bigger the format, the fewer lenes one needs/carries. Is that reality?

I recently handled (fondled?) a 240mm Sironar-N in copal #3...does anybody actually carry one of these things? It seems huge!

What pack or...box or mule do you use to hump your stuff?

I use a Deardorff V8. I carry it in a Kelty frame pack, and use a Camera Eqipment Co. 13 pound tripod (it will hold ME up). Usually two lenses, a 9 1/2" Dagor and a 14" GD Dagor. Four filmholders. Water and snacks. Miscellaneous stuff brings the weight to a bit over 50 pounds. I've done 20 miles in a day with this gear.

Walter Calahan
24-Jul-2008, 13:56
Get a three-wheeled jogging baby stroller used off eBay.

I put all my 8x10 gear on it to roll it to the scene. I'm 6'7" tall and hate a sore back.

Keith Pitman
24-Jul-2008, 14:30
Get a three-wheeled jogging baby stroller used off eBay.

I put all my 8x10 gear on it to roll it to the scene. I'm 6'7" tall and hate a sore back.

I have a feeling this suggestion has been made before . . . maybe more than once!!!

Walter Calahan
24-Jul-2008, 15:29
I've suggested the stroller many many times, but not everyone is reading my posts, forcing me to repeat the same advice over and over again. Grin.

Vaughn
24-Jul-2008, 15:51
I've suggested the stroller many many times, but not everyone is reading my posts, forcing me to repeat the same advice over and over again. Grin.

But no stroller can go where I usually want to go -- lifting the stroller over rocks and fallen trees (especially when they are 10 feet or more in diameter) would be a little much. I use to push my triplet boys in a stroller-made-for-three up creeks and on some pretty interesting trails, so I know a stroller's limitations!LOL!

Plus wheeled contraptions of any type are not allowed in official wilderness areas in the USA.

Vaughn

Jim Galli
24-Jul-2008, 15:58
YOUR mind is wandering........LOL? I looked at the title and thought to myself 'close to the car?? if I hump an 8X10 it's going to be.............oh well. It's those damn shit-zu's that my wife had to have. They hump everything.

Walter Calahan
24-Jul-2008, 16:00
Not even a Hummer can travel over a 10-foot fallen tree!

One must accept limits.

The original thread was about getting one's gear more than 100-feet from the car, not leaping tall buildings at a single bound. HA!

Daniel_Buck
24-Jul-2008, 16:01
my tachihara 8x10 with 2 lenses and 4 holders (and water, meter, cloth, cable release and filters) I would take for day hikes, probably 4-6 miles or so. Doing the same with the Ritter 8x10, lighter which leaves me more room for water, or just makes the load lighter.

Ole Tjugen
24-Jul-2008, 16:11
10x8" Gandolfi Traditional, six holders, and four lenses on lens boards all fit nicely in a Lowepro AW Trekker. The weight is noticeable, but not bothersome (the lenses are a 121mm Super Angulon, a 165mm Angulon, a 240/420mm Symmar Convertible, and a 210mm f:6.8 Angulon).

Kevin Klazek
24-Jul-2008, 16:49
I carry my V8 Dorff, and Fuji 240A, 300C and 450C plus pentax spot in a Lowepro Computrekker AW. I sling 3 or 4 holders in a laptop shoulder bag, then carry or sling my Berlebach pod. The Fuji lens set is very light and even at that I usually only take 2 lenses out at a time. I do trek with this all year round.

Michael Kadillak
25-Jul-2008, 06:24
But no stroller can go where I usually want to go -- lifting the stroller over rocks and fallen trees (especially when they are 10 feet or more in diameter) would be a little much. I use to push my triplet boys in a stroller-made-for-three up creeks and on some pretty interesting trails, so I know a stroller's limitations!LOL!

Plus wheeled contraptions of any type are not allowed in official wilderness areas in the USA.

Vaughn

Vaughn is spot on. I tried one of those strollers with one of my 8x10's and it was a one shot deal never to be attempted again. PITA. If one is in an urban area or the flat lands of the Midwest utilizing the dolly configuration is the alternative that bears more fruit for me. However anywhere in the West where the trails are diverse and possibly designated as restricted access (which in the advent of motorized ATV's is becoming more and more prevelant) you cannot even think about using a stroller (or anything with wheels for that matter) as they are ALL prohibited.

I use an F64 backpack with a Bogen tripod with my wooden Canham 8x10 or Toyo 810M camera, a Gnass case with up to five lenses (355 G Claron, 450M Nikon, 210 Computar and 19 and 24" red dot) and a few holders. I have gone miles over rough terrain with this set up without a hitch. Course being 6'2" and 220# and hitting the gym hard at least three times+ a week consistently does not hurt. You have to want to do it and have a firm objective in mind to stay the course IMHO.

Michael Kadillak

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Jul-2008, 07:19
I'm kind of with Vaughn and some of the others on this one. The way I shoot I'm most always more than 100 feet from the car. At 57 I still haul about 40 lbs of 8x10 gear in my REI travel pack.Several lenses, 6 film holders, my Seneca Improved, and all of the assorted goddies one needs for a day out. It is a bitch if I am at altitude or in the sand but it is a good workout. I think keeping in shape is important also. I can pack my 8x20 in the same manner. It comes in at about the same weight. Still need to find a backpack for the 11x14! It is going to be the same weight wise. Just need to get the cash together for a pack. Right now I carry everything in a couple of bags. It is a PITA but it works. I think you get what you need based on the way you shoot.

Jim

Andrew O'Neill
25-Jul-2008, 07:56
I'm training my golden retriever to do more than "fetch".

Brian K
25-Jul-2008, 08:05
You don't have to be working with 8x10 in order to have a heavy burden of photo gear. But if you are limited in your mobility you might want to consider a lighter set up.

In my own case, using a 4x5 Linhof, my backpack varies in weight from 45-55 pounds, my tripod is about 8 and my vest, pockets stuffed is 10-15 pounds. So I'm usually carrying anywhere between 63-78 pounds of gear. I'm good for a distance of about 2-3 miles of irregular terrain from the car with this set up, always remembering that for each step further away means another step needed to get back. (something which is obviously common sense but you'd be surprised how many people don't realize this and get into serious trouble) I've even carried a 25 pound sand bag with me when I hike if I knew the location I was hiking to was really windy. When I get back from these hikes I find that I have bruises along my chest and shoulders that mirror my straps. That's when I know I got a serious work out.

jetcode
25-Jul-2008, 08:15

the 240mm is a fairly small Copal 3 offering, the 360mm f/6.8 is a tank. Others mentioned making 8x10 light in the field. Film holders and tripods are items that can get heavy.

BradS
25-Jul-2008, 08:44
YOUR mind is wandering........LOL? I looked at the title and thought to myself 'close to the car?? if I hump an 8X10 it's going to be.............oh well. It's those damn shit-zu's that my wife had to have. They hump everything.

ROFLMAO!

Oh Jim...I have to go wipe the tears from my eyes now....what the people at work must think.

Tony Karnezis
25-Jul-2008, 10:26
You can check out a previous thread on people's minimalist photo gear. Several 8x10 kits are listed.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=36786&highlight=minimalist+field+kit

I use an F64 backpack with a Bogen tripod with my wooden Canham 8x10 or Toyo 810M camera, a Gnass case with up to five lenses (355 G Claron, 450M Nikon, 210 Computar and 19 and 24" red dot) and a few holders. I have gone miles over rough terrain with this set up without a hitch. Course being 6'2" and 220# and hitting the gym hard at least three times+ a week consistently does not hurt.

Michael Kadillak

I have a setup like Mike. I walk around with a Kodak Master 8x10 on a Ries, dark cloth as shoulder padding, with a 450M Nikkor or 19" Red Dot Artar mounted on the camera. Meter & loupe around my neck & shoulder bag with a few holders, filters & a second lens (240 Germinar or 210 Computar). If buying new, consider getting a lighter camera like a Chamonix or Shen Hao or using a 450 Fujinon instead of the two lenses listed. Unlike Mike, I'm 5'11" and 150 lbs, so I feel the weight more, which is partly why I don't go really far with the 8x10 (the 4x5 Chamonix is a dream in that respect).

I don't use a backpack, but if I did, I'd get an F64 or a modified Kelty Redwing from Photobackpacker.com.

cjbroadbent
25-Jul-2008, 11:09
It's the only lens I use. Ever. The Gandolfi, lens, holders, compendium and gubbins all fit in a pilot's (navigator's) briefcase which has slots to keep things from knocking together. Looks neat. Travels.

BradS
25-Jul-2008, 11:52
It's the only lens I use. Ever. The Gandolfi, lens, holders, compendium and gubbins all fit in a pilot's (navigator's) briefcase which has slots to keep things from knocking together. Looks neat. Travels.

I have seen and coveted these navigator's brief cases. They do indeed look neat. Where does one find them for purchase?

Eric Leppanen
25-Jul-2008, 12:30
I use a Photobackpacker P2 backpack with dual side pockets (the side pockets store my Lee filter system components, including several filter holders, hood, and two filter books containing a variety of filters for color and B&W shooting) for hauling my Arca 8x10 kit. The weights listed below also include four plastic film holders, and exclude a tripod.

- With the full kit (two plasmats plus a SS150XL and Nikon 450M), the backpack weighs 40 pounds.
- With lightweight lenses (Germinar 240W, Fuji 300A and 450C), the backpack weighs 35 pounds.
- With lightweight lenses and no side pockets (i.e., no Lee filter stuff), the backpack weighs 30 pounds.

I normally carry my tripod by hand. The full 40 pound kit is at the limit of my comfort level, so I normally use it only for short hikes (no more than a couple miles or so). The 35 pound kit, though, I feel I could hike with for quite some time.

And as for the baby jogger option, its utility is very dependent on your local geography. I tried one several years ago, and here are some of my experiences:

1) I tried the baby jogger at Devil's Garden near Escalante in Utah. The wheels dug deep into the soft dirt, leaving unsightly furrows in the ground and requiring a substantial effort to move the contraption. I had to drag the jogger all the way to my photo location, swearing at it all the way; when I was done shooting, I had to dismount the backpack (i.e., put it on my back), and rolled/dragged the jogger back to the car. For those seeking to follow my footsteps, there is a clear path which should last for years.
2) I tried the baby jogger at Mosquito Flat (Little Lakes Valley, west of Tom's Place) in the Eastern Sierra in California. The jogger worked OK until I hit a long flight of steps (some of which were quite tall). To go up the steps, I had to dismount the backpack and drag the jogger up the steps after me, being careful to maintain my balance; when I later returned and went down the steps, I again had to dismount the backpack since not doing so would clearly be dangerous. Since this trail features multiple flights of steps, the jogger proved more trouble than it was worth.
3) I tried the baby jogger at Mono Lake. It initially worked fine until I tried traversing the narrow footpaths through the lakeside flora (much of which was sharp and spikey); I finally had to dismount the pack and proceed on foot. When it was time to return to the car, I remounted the pack onto the jogger, only to discover that the alkeline soil had chemically attacked the rubber tires, so that all three tires had gone flat (the soil also destroyed the rubber outsoles on my shoes). I had to drag the jogger again back to the car, swearing at it all the way. I never used it again.

In fairness, the jogger worked fine at Bodie, when the soil was firm (and chemically inert), and the roads were wide. But between its functional limitations and the amount of space it took in the car, the jogger for me proved not worth the trouble.

Robert Hall
25-Jul-2008, 13:27
My issue is film holders. A few years back when I was in great shape, I could carry 20, now only about 8 without killing myself over a few miles.

Which reminds me, any of you guys know John Roseborough? He used to run a lab down in LA, most of the older guys know him. he lives in Cedar City, Ut. now. Anyway, he has some custom 8x10 film holders that are half the size (and pretty much weight) of normal holders. It's like carrying 2 for one. Any one seen anything like this?

Turner Reich
25-Jul-2008, 13:36
I carry a Calumet C1 with Gitzo Studex tripod with 20 8x10 film holders, light meter with back up, two focus clothes, six lenses, a full tool kit, all in a custom made back pack. I trek with it over 25 miles in a day.:D

Actually I take an old wooden camera with one lens and a half dozen holders, meter, cloth, cable release, just what's needed and no more.

David A. Goldfarb
25-Jul-2008, 14:16
Which reminds me, any of you guys know John Roseborough? He used to run a lab down in LA, most of the older guys know him. he lives in Cedar City, Ut. now. Anyway, he has some custom 8x10 film holders that are half the size (and pretty much weight) of normal holders. It's like carrying 2 for one. Any one seen anything like this?

They sound like Mido holders. Wish I had some, but they're hard to come by.

RichardRitter
25-Jul-2008, 15:57
The original thread was about getting one's gear more than 100-feet from the car, not leaping tall buildings at a single bound. HA!

I have found 95% of the images I make are by driving some where parking the car and go for a walk with the camera.
I have had gone out with photographers and ended up driving 300 miles and taking only a few photographs. They did not want to travel far from the car with their equipment. I on the other hand would find the stream and go for a walk.

Two things I found to be true.

The lighter the load the more fun the photography is.

The best photographs are not at the roads edge.

S. Preston Jones
25-Jul-2008, 18:07
Reading these post make me think back a lot of years ago when I carried a two section Kelty type backpack with an 8x10 Deardorff in the top section, 10 holders in the bottom section, 6 lenses in the side pockets, darkcloth, filters,etc and a majestic tripod and I could walk for quite a distance. Now at 73, I use a Phillips Compact II and now carry no more than 4 lenses at a time which must be in a #1 Copal or a #2 Compur. My tripod is a 3 1/2 lb CF Manfrotto With Arcatech head. I still love the look of the contact print. I would not even think of trying to get over a fallen 10 ' diameter tree.:)

eddie
25-Jul-2008, 18:19
i just weighed my century universal 8x10. 9lb 4 oz (my 8x10 chamonix is 8lb 9 oz) witha good lightweight lens or two (159 wolly comes to mind) and maybe a smaller 300 or a triple convertible with 3 holders should do it. the chamonix holders are nice and light. when i plan to shoot more i bring some film, a changing bag and an empty box. way lighter than extra holders.

Robert Oliver
25-Jul-2008, 18:33
I don't think letting a mule hump your camera would ever be good!!!

Bill_1856
25-Jul-2008, 20:35
The question if a moot point. Didn't Brett Weston (or maybe it was Edward) say that there was nothing photogenic more than 100 feet from the car?

Scott Schroeder
25-Jul-2008, 20:38
The question if a moot point. Didn't Brett Weston (or maybe it was Edward) say that there was nothing photogenic more than 100 feet from the car?

Yes, but they didn't realize that the humping is much better beyond the 100ft mark. I've found the 600-700 range to be the most ideal for humping. YMMV.....

John Kasaian
25-Jul-2008, 20:50
240 G Claron, maybe the 19" Artar, seldom both lenses at the same time but I can do it if needed. One lens is caried aboard the 'dorff with the lensboard reversed in the front standard.

4-6 film holders maximum, 1 holder (carried in the dorff at the minimum.) I usually compromise with 3 holders.

Tripod: Ries J200 sans the head. I used to think the 200 series were too light for an 8x10 like the 'dorff but I've learned to love it for hikng!

If I press my photographer's assistant "Millie the Mule " into service I can take along a lot more stuff, but I rarely get to take her into the mountains anymore (and when I do it will be a multi day voyage!)

Ben Syverson
25-Jul-2008, 21:05
I've never owned a car, so when moving to 8x10 I knew I had only one choice... Gowland.

I can fit the Lite 8x10 with Fuji 300C (250g), a holder or two, the tripod (Gitzo 1550T), Harrison changing bag, and box of 10 sheets of film in a messenger bag without overloading it. Together with some clothes and toiletries (and another camera or two) in a separate bag, I think I could take that setup anywhere in the world. I certainly took more than that weight in camera equipment to China.

I think if I were contrained to photographic subjects near the interstate, I would learn to paint (better).

Vaughn
25-Jul-2008, 22:13
Not even a Hummer can travel over a 10-foot fallen tree!

One must accept limits.

Welcome to my favorite part of the world! The photo below was taken on New Years Day 2008 -- 8x10 set up on the fallen upper portion of the snag on the left -- probably 10 to 15 feet above the ground (actually on one side was the creek), with the camera itself another 5 feet higher...had to move very carefully!

Vaughn

PS...it took more than a single bound...LOL! But you have a good point. I am training up my three boys (in the photo) to help carry the gear...better than a stroller, lamas or mules. But at 11 years old, they are are costing a bit to feed (and it is only starting!)

Frank Petronio
25-Jul-2008, 23:51
http://www.crewgear.com/ pilots bags

cjbroadbent
26-Jul-2008, 00:18
I have seen and coveted these navigator's brief cases. They do indeed look neat. Where does one find them for purchase?
Mine is made by Samsonite. It stands up to rough use.

kev curry
26-Jul-2008, 02:17
Mine is made by Samsonite. It stands up to rough use.

Christopher you've got me thinking! It would be great to see your case loaded with the gear.....any pictures?:)

kev

phil sweeney
26-Jul-2008, 07:35
I always work out of my f64 bag, car or trail. My problem is carrying the Ries. I'd like to make padded strap because I just carry it by hand.

BradS
26-Jul-2008, 08:40
http://www.crewgear.com/ pilots bags

Cool! Thanks Frank. Now that I see the photos of these, I think I actually have one made of the hyde of the nagga. I should dig it out, liberate it from what ever mundare use it is currently laboring under and see what fits.

Maris Rusis
26-Jul-2008, 20:06
I still carry the same Tachihara 8x10, three lenses, six holders, tripod, etc as I did fifteen years ago. All up the gear weighs the same 60 pounds. But being older, fatter, slower, and balder means compromises.

What gets me there is starting earlier. Maybe two hours earlier. Slow walking, small steps, keeping moving, and no puffing. Go to the far end of the trail while noting promising subject matter. Take pictures on the way back. The last picture, the weariest one, is nearest the car. There is no point bustin' myself climbing to a grand view if I have no energy left to photograph with.

Jim Noel
27-Jul-2008, 08:20
As Morley Baer used to say, "There are no good pictures more than 100' from the car." He sure made a lot of good ones.

Ben Calwell
27-Jul-2008, 16:25
Since I don't wander far from the car, Kodak 8x10 2D, tailboard, darkcloth and lens, carried in an old carryon suitcase -- the kind with the wheels and telescoping handle.
No room for the holders, so I've been known to stuff them into a disposable, plastic grocery bag.
Since I also like to shoot 5x7 and 4x5, that means added bags and containers for those cameras and holders.
It's quite a to-do getting ready and carrying everything out to the car on my all too infrequent photo outings.
I really should consolidate on an 8x10 with reducing backs.

Keith Pitman
27-Jul-2008, 17:58
OK, it's a nice photo, but where's the Hummer?

Welcome to my favorite part of the world! The photo below was taken on New Years Day 2008 -- 8x10 set up on the fallen upper portion of the snag on the left -- probably 10 to 15 feet above the ground (actually on one side was the creek), with the camera itself another 5 feet higher...had to move very carefully!

Vaughn

PS...it took more than a single bound...LOL! But you have a good point. I am training up my three boys (in the photo) to help carry the gear...better than a stroller, lamas or mules. But at 11 years old, they are are costing a bit to feed (and it is only starting!)

Vaughn
27-Jul-2008, 20:33
OK, it's a nice photo, but where's the Hummer?

Okay...confession time. The old highway is only about 100 yards beyond those snags, and I had my Honda minivan parked back there...I'd be too embarrassed to drive a Hummer. The first 30 yards is an easy bush-whacking through ferns and over small down trees (less than 2' dia), then about 50 yards of trail one could easily use a stroller on, then the last 20 yards is basically like what you see in the image.

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jul-2008, 22:36
Vaughn, bigger tires on the minivan and you could get in there!! It looks like I need to come your way and give the big cameras a workout! Easy access!!

Jim

mccormickstudio
27-Jul-2008, 23:00
I recently went up from 4x5 to 8x10. I wanted good lightweight gear on a budget. I use a Chamonix 8x10 with 3 inexpensive high-quality lenses (plasmats!) - a fujinon -w 5.6/210mm, a schneider symmar-s 5.6/240mm, and a fujinon w 6.3/360mm. I use a Lowepro Stealth AW II (discontinued now I think), a bag designed for reporters/correspondnets with slr digital and laptop. In here I carry the cham, 6 8x10 holders, 3 lenses and all accessories including BTZS 8x10 focus bag, meters, etc. The stealth is way smaller than LowePro Trekkers. Loaded with heavy lenses this weighs a respectable 30.5 lbs. I carry an Induro A313 tripod (about $150) by hand or over shoulder.

For the record I mostly shoot urban landscapes and trek maybe 1-4 hours from the car in a day of shooting.

Good Luck!

cjbroadbent
28-Jul-2008, 05:42
Christopher you've got me thinking! It would be great to see your case loaded with the gear.....any pictures?:)
kev
Kev, will do next week.

G Benaim
28-Jul-2008, 06:25
Hi Brad,

I've been doing 8x10 for the last year, and here's what I do. If walking around a city or other paved area, put camera, lenses, head and holders into a duffle bag w wheels and tripod on shoulder. You can do a fair bit of walking when you're rolling the heavy stuff.
If going off road, or for short moves from place to place, just put the camera on tripod over the shoulder, lenses and holders in shoulder bag and/or backpack.
I just started working w an assistant today for a project I'm doing on Tel Aviv, and thta's really the best solution of all!!
BTW, get a Ries tripod and head, they're great.

GB

cjbroadbent
30-Jul-2008, 11:30

kev
Here's the Samsonite pilot's bag with 8x10 gear...

kev curry
31-Jul-2008, 09:15
Thanks for taking the trouble to make such neat photos Christopher, it looks like the ideal solution for me.

Grazie

kev

Vaughn
31-Jul-2008, 10:53
Hi Brad, snip...
I just started working w an assistant today for a project I'm doing on Tel Aviv, and thta's really the best solution of all!!
BTW, get a Ries tripod and head, they're great.

GB

When I was on a 6-month bike tour of NZ, I carefully put the camera away in the pack (a 4x5 Gowland PocketView) anytime I moved more than about 10 meters. Risking the camera while walking on uneven ground -- considering the expense I went thru to get there, the difficulty of replacing equipment, and it being a once-in-a-lifetime adventure -- just did not make sense to me. I carried an extra GG, but only had the one lens.

But photographing locally, I would not hesitate putting the 4x5 on the pod, then over my shoulder as I walk around. The camera is replacable and by having it at-the-ready, one might be able to get an image that makes the risk of damaging the camera worthwhile.

I hesitate to do so with the Zone VI 8x10, except for short distances on even ground, just because of the weight and the chance of whacking it into some rock or sharp branch. I would not be able to replace the camera so easily as I could the 4x5.

And yes, the Ries pod and head are great. I have given my a hard work-out over the years and it is still dependable.

Vaughn