PDA

View Full Version : repair on sinar cable release

stephan cooper
24-Jul-2008, 10:43
hi

does anyone know who can repair sinar cable release. sinar no longer sells the parts or repairs them

Mark Woods
24-Jul-2008, 10:55
Hello Stephan,

Someone posted a "how to" article on adapting a Nikon shutter release to a Sinar shutter. He did it to save some cash, and it evidently worked quite well. I don't have quick access to the article, but you may search the archives.

Good luck.

MW

erie patsellis
24-Jul-2008, 13:41
What part specifically failed?

rob
24-Jul-2008, 16:13
I made one myself, here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17030

You probably can repair the cable yourself.

Exploring Large Format
23-May-2021, 11:59
Revisiting.

Have an older Norma chrome version where the plunger won't retract all the way back into the housing when released. Shutter oesn't properly function that way.

Assuming this is due to the "stretching" folks refer to. Doesn't feel like it would be healed by lubrication, but will try.

Seems one could remove the plunger from the bad one and "re-clad" in more of a fabric or plastic like the new versions? Can't imagine how I'd do that. Probably cheaper to just purchase a good one, right?

I do have two good ones; just seems a waste of a vintage cable to toss out.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Tin Can
23-May-2021, 12:04
Maybe bicycle or motorbike cable housing could be used

I used to make my own cycle cables when new was not available, long ago

Daniel Unkefer
24-May-2021, 15:23
My shutter repair guy told me (when I sent like five Norma ones in for CLA), that the old silver Norma cables can indeed "stretch". He suggested to me that I get one of the modern black ones; he said don't stretch. it took a while but I finally snagged one for like $100. And you know, he's right. The modern black ones work great in the Norma Automatic shutter. That one goes on the copy stand Norma in my studio. I bought them cheaply from a local dealer, and the stretched Normas work great on my Plaubel Makiflexes. I marked each one with a tag so I don't use the wrong ones. I also have some newer to me Norma ones that are just fine, including some really early ones. How could I turn these down when they were like $30 each?

Get the bike cable lube I suggested, it helps some. Might solve your problem, nothing to lose. Could just be dirty inside the cable

Exploring Large Format
28-May-2021, 12:10
Thanks all. Lubing helped some.

However, it functions well pushing in, but still won't fully retract unaided. If I pull it fully out after an exposure--by pulling out on the "thumb-piece"--the shutter returns to cocked and ready position. If I don't do that, then I can't take another exposure because the shutter isn't cocked and ready. The plunger catches slightly on something internal to the cable housing is my guess.