PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff to Arca adapter.

SAShruby
23-Jul-2008, 16:17
Well,

Do you know anyone, who could do one for me?
Or is there a good substitution?

I need 6x6 to 110mm.

Thanks,

Pete Roody
23-Jul-2008, 16:54
skgrimes.com

SAShruby
23-Jul-2008, 17:02
skgrimes.com

Expensive.

Paul Bujak
23-Jul-2008, 17:44
Try this guy. He makes adapters. Not too expensive.

jorgeamoreno2003@comcast.net

He's known as oaklandlenscom on the auction site.

Regards,
Paul

Allen in Montreal
23-Jul-2008, 18:00
skgrimes.com

He may be expensive, if you fail to find another source, he does good work.
He made an Arca 6x9 to Tec. 5 adaptor for me years ago, it works very well.
No one else wanted to touch it.

BarryS
23-Jul-2008, 18:57
Try this guy. He makes adapters. Not too expensive.

jorgeamoreno2003@comcast.net

He's known as oaklandlenscom on the auction site.

Regards,
Paul

He's also a nut. I ordered and paid for a 2D to Technika adapter, which he never delivered. He ignored multiple emails until finally I filed a paypal dispute--which he refused to resolve and threatened me with bad ebay feedback. I eventually got a refund from paypal, but it wasn't a good experience. Check with Richard Ritter--he's not cheap, but he's less expensive than Grimes.

SAShruby
23-Jul-2008, 23:31
Well, idea is, I will supply a Deardorff lensboard, all I need, is to make a arca hole for 110mm Arca lensboard. All nuts and bolts I can do by myself. What I cannot do is to drill the hole. I'm not a machinist. I can take care of the rest of it.

eddie
24-Jul-2008, 04:14
are you trying to drill a hole or cut a square?

when i drill holes in my aluminum boards i use a hole saw on a drill. no perfect or pretty but it is cheap fast and works well. i got the last "bit" at home depot for about 15$. what i do is i put the board on a piece of wood and then i screw in 8 wood screws (two per side) to the board very close to the lens board to hold it from turning while i drill it.

if you need to make a square hole then you can always get a copping saw....slow and probably not as nice but should do the trick.

SAShruby
24-Jul-2008, 08:38
are you trying to drill a hole or cut a square?

when i drill holes in my aluminum boards i use a hole saw on a drill. no perfect or pretty but it is cheap fast and works well. i got the last "bit" at home depot for about 15$. what i do is i put the board on a piece of wood and then i screw in 8 wood screws (two per side) to the board very close to the lens board to hold it from turning while i drill it.

if you need to make a square hole then you can always get a copping saw....slow and probably not as nice but should do the trick.

Eddie,

Square...

Tracy Storer
24-Jul-2008, 09:06
Expensive.

Have you spoken to SKG about the job, or not bothered because your perception is that they are expensive?
What do you think is a fair price for milling a proper depth square recess in the front of your Deardorff board? Do you have lensboard retainer hardware to keep the Arca board on the Deardorff board or do you need hardware made/supplied as well?

Tracy

SAShruby
24-Jul-2008, 10:54
Have you spoken to SKG about the job, or not bothered because your perception is that they are expensive?

The answer is: I did a custom job with SKG, custom 127mm ring for Hi-tech filter. Price $150. So, based on this experience, custom = expensive!

What do you think is a fair price for milling a proper depth square recess in the front of your Deardorff board?

$20. I supply all it requires to do it.

Do you have lensboard retainer hardware to keep the Arca board on the Deardorff board or do you need hardware made/supplied as well?

I can manage that by myself.

Tracy Storer
25-Jul-2008, 06:29
You may find someone to do it for $20, though it seems low to me, good luck. Adapter boards do make life very convenient.

John Schneider
25-Jul-2008, 08:35
The answer is: I did a custom job with SKG, custom 127mm ring for Hi-tech filter. Price $150. So, based on this experience, custom = expensive!

Turning a fine pitch metric thread to a shoulder is not a simple job. Plus, considering he had to machine away most of a 6" dia. rod (at $30/inch), that's a lot of time to get to the final ring. There are also the *minor* issues of maintaining concentricity on a thin ring and not deforming it while clamping. Knowing how difficult a job that was, I would gladly have paid $150.

$20. I supply all it requires to do it.

Even for that job, $20 is incredibly cheap. With setup etc. you're looking at the better part of an hour (although the actual machining should only take < 5 min), and typical shop rates are $50-80/hr. If you have decent hand woodworking skills and a sharp chisel, you should be able cut the recess yourself in 20-30 min., which would be the least expensive route.

SAShruby
25-Jul-2008, 09:29
Turning a fine pitch metric thread to a shoulder is not a simple job. Plus, considering he had to machine away most of a 6" dia. rod (at $30/inch), that's a lot of time to get to the final ring. There are also the *minor* issues of maintaining concentricity on a thin ring and not deforming it while clamping. Knowing how difficult a job that was, I would gladly have paid $150.

Even for that job, $20 is incredibly cheap. With setup etc. you're looking at the better part of an hour (although the actual machining should only take < 5 min), and typical shop rates are $50-80/hr. If you have decent hand woodworking skills and a sharp chisel, you should be able cut the recess yourself in 20-30 min., which would be the least expensive route.

I alreqady have someone, who is helping me to do it - cheap. Thanks all.