PDA

View Full Version : Vienna, Dubrovnik and Lake Como?

Rich Voninski
22-Jul-2008, 10:03
I will be travelling through Vienna, Dubrovnik and Lake Como Italy. I have shot my 4x5 in Italy before and was wondering if any of you might make some suggestions of places to visit to shoot, opportunities for shots (time of day and location...).

Thanks.

Rich Voninski

Brian K
22-Jul-2008, 10:47
Ahh lake Como....... Really beautiful. I can't remember any spots but I can tell you that you're a lucky man.

cjbroadbent
22-Jul-2008, 10:49
On lake Como, Bellagio.
http://www.italianwatertaxis.com/ctemplt1.htm

shmoo
22-Jul-2008, 11:27
Just went to Vienna and Salzburg last year...it's an architectural feast for the eyes. Schonbrunn Palace and the Belvedere Palace Gardens are beautiful. The Hapsburgs had a flair (and the funds) for the cathedrals...simply amazing churches everywhere (not just the Stephansdom, but the Augustiner and Peterskirche). For just people watching, the Nascht Markt (big open air market) is fun, but not a place for LF (but great for food and coffee).

If you have an iPod, I would purchase the Elyse Weiner iJourney tour of Vienna. It was a great intro to the city and very accurate. Oh yeah, and watch your stuff. Pickpockets are all over. I saw a few being chased from around the Hofburg Palace.

SAShruby
22-Jul-2008, 11:32
Great places to shoot, enjoy it. Quite distinct photography themes.

hase
22-Jul-2008, 12:55
Rich,
when will you be in Vienna?
Can inform you about some nice spots, pending what you want to see...
br
Hase

ps: if you have some place in your luggage I can need some readloads :D
they are very expensive in austria....

pictures: Belvedere x-mas 2007 & 2x Borromaeus Church (Lueger Kirche) @ Zentralfriedhof (central cementary) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentralfriedhof

Ernest Purdum
23-Jul-2008, 09:54
Enviable itinerary.

Rich Voninski
25-Jul-2008, 09:40
Thanks for the advice everybody. We are really excited.

Hase, Check the PM i sent you.

RV

Ernest Purdum
25-Jul-2008, 11:20
Some not necessarily photographic thoughts. In Vienna, have a Wiener Schnitzel. Germans used to tell me that theirs were OK, but you had to go to Vienna for the best. I had one and the Germans were right. As a matter of fact, all three of your destinations are good places to be hungry.

Re Dubrovnik. The town is fascinating but I hope you also have some time to get out onto the water nearby. That whole coast is just a line of interesting little islands and ports.

Re Como, the whole Lake District is gorgeous. Take a boat ride to help you find what you want to photograph.

Rich Voninski
25-Jul-2008, 11:40
Ernest,

I willl have 3 days in each place Vienna, Lake Como and Dubrovnik. In Dubrovnik what outer islands would you visit and how much time does it take?

In Lake Como I will have a rental car since I will be driving up from Milan and staying in Varenna. We were planning on just taking the ferry boats. Is that what you would recommend?

BTW Cinque Terre and wrapping up in Venice is the rest of the trip. But since I have already shot those places with 4x5 I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Unless you have been to Burano Island which I am going to try to hit this time.

Thanks.

Rich V

hase
26-Jul-2008, 12:56
Rich,
Pm retour, thank you
br
Hase

sanchi heuser
3-Aug-2008, 10:42
Hi Rich,
I was driving every week to North Italy,for more than one year.I'm working as a truck-driver in Europe.
Italy was one of my favorite destinations.The people are very nice.
For photographing you have a very huge variety.
If you are looking for a special kind of landscape or something else ,please ask me.

Jim Ewins
3-Aug-2008, 11:50
Bulgano (Bozen) Italy is a gateway to the Dolamites. A gondola goes to the high country where a small train goes from village to village. Not to be missed. The cathedral in Bulgano is lovely. If I knew how to insert an image I would.