I'm using the Sinar Behind the lens shutter with the long cable release cable,
I find the thing very inflexible and even when I try to 'relax'
I have the feeling I'm moving the camera with the thing,

Any experience, work around, tips?

regards

stefan

robert fallis
20-Jul-2008, 09:38
you can get an air operated shutter release, my camera at times is not too firm, and this sort of release is very soft

bob

erie patsellis
20-Jul-2008, 09:46
stefan,
I let mine drape down, and velcro it to the tripod leg, a soft and gentle squeeze should result in no movement.

stehei
20-Jul-2008, 10:57
Thanks,

robert, how do you attach the air operated release, sinar has its own fitting, doesn't it?

regards

stefan

Bjorn Nilsson
20-Jul-2008, 14:29
Yes, the throw is very long, as you also trip the shutter in the same movement. Anyhow, there are many threads on the concern about vibration etc. with the Sinar/Copal shutter. The consensus of most replies is that any vibration comes when the shutter closes. This is also what my own tests have shown. Shooting a newspaper page with both a built in lens shutter (on a 240mm) and the same lens with the Sinar/Copal shutter. There was no difference in between the shots. I made my test with a fairly sturdy tripod and I had plans on doing the test again with a smaller tripod (i.e. more prone to vibration and sway), but reading all the other answers to previous threads on the subject have made me think again. The "slam" of the shutter comes when it closes, while the opening of the shutter is rather soft. It's easy to acutally see this just by setting it on a longish time and observe/feel for yourself.
But it's also worth to mention that this shutter is/was sometimes named a "studio shutter" with whatever that implies. Personally I use the shutter at home, but it also stays at home when I bring the camera out somewhere. While it's hard to be unnoticed with any LF camera, the sound of this shutter makes a Hasselblad a quiet camera in comparison.

//Björn

Ken Lee
20-Jul-2008, 14:32
I've used mine up to 8 seconds, at 1:1, with no noticeable vibration.

These Swiss guys are pretty serious about what they build ;)

robert fallis
20-Jul-2008, 15:08
stefen,
sorry did not realise that the sinar shutter was different, my air release works on a normal shutter fitting

bob

stehei
21-Jul-2008, 00:16
Thanks all,

did some testing myself, and the shutter is indeed without vibration,
but my worry is that my hands are not holding the cable release, since
its so infexible. But I'll try taping it down, my calumet ought to be
sturdy enough,

I use it outdoors too, people often mistake it for a car door
slamming! ;)

regards

stefan