PDA

View Full Version : protar 1:18

Christian Nze
6-Feb-2001, 05:01
Hi all,

Some one sell me some f18 zeiss lens for a rasonable price. he have these focal 112,141,183 all double cell. I want to use them to make inside little space photography on 8*10

does any one use these lens and can tell me how he appreciate them?

regards

Pete Andrews
6-Feb-2001, 05:28
The Zeiss Protars were issued in several series; V or VII, for instance. The quoted angle of coverage isn't the same for all series, so knowing the series number is important. In any case, the maximum coverage angle isn't in excess of 110 degrees, nearer to 80 or 90 for most Protars. It's doubtful that the shorter focal lengths will cover 10x8.

Christian Nze
6-Feb-2001, 06:03
these series V lenses.

If they are 110? the 112 should cover 8*10 without a lot of movement. And I will be closer to the object so the image circle will be a little larger, doesn't it?

Erik Ryberg
6-Feb-2001, 12:13
I have the 141 mm. It covers 8x10 with some movement but the light fall-off is severe. Contrast is low although it is sharp. Mine is a very old brass version by Bausch and Lomb. I have read the Zeiss offerings have slightly less coverage but I do not know if this is true, or why it would be true. I have given up using the 141 on 8x10 due to the light falloff and difficulty of getting the bellows close enough. It would make a great 5x7 lens. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but I would think focussing the 112, even if it covered, would be very difficult, at least at infinity (you won't be shooting at infinity for indoors photography, though.)

Christian Nze
6-Feb-2001, 13:54
I use a deardorff and I already use a 90 mm on it. It doesn't cover but I can focus the infinity. Deardorff is good for wide angle lens. as we can shift the front without moving the bellows.

I will take care to the fall off. I hope there is not much. I last I can use it on my half plate camera.

thanks.

Edward Chung
11-Jul-2001, 06:52
If we are talking on the Series V with an F18 lens than the 112mm will be a good lens for the 4x5 and the 141mm for the 5x7. I have two 180mm (one Zeiss and the other B&L) tested on my Deardorff 8x10, both wouldn't have very shape image at the corner. I have also tested another 183mm E.Krauss Protar F18 lens which had a better result but won't be good either. From the Zeiss catalogue you should use the 210mm to cover the 8x10 format where it is true for my 212mm E.Krauss Protar. If you want to have a copy of the catalogue I can send it by mail.