PDA

View Full Version : Domke Armadillo 30

retrogaz
18-Jul-2008, 14:19
Hi
I'm thinking of getting a Domke Armadillo 30 for my Ebony 45s plus various lenses and backs.
It seems to get positive reviews, although it is long discontinued. But I've found a retailer which stocks it!
My main question is, if you have one, would you recommend it?
I'd also like to know how heavy it is, as the Tiffen literature I've uncovered doesn't say and I've trawled the web with no result.
Is it good for hiking?
Is it good for a field camera?
I like the idea of its upright position and drawers!
If anyone has compared it with other bags, then let me know! Or if you have a bag for your s45 that you think is particularly fantastic for hiking, then I want to hear.
I'm particularly looking for a rucksack as I suffer from sciatica and need to load my body symmetrically.
Thanks in advance
Retrogaz

Paul O
19-Jul-2008, 02:05
Hi. I've been in a similar position up until last week! How to carry an Ebony 45SU, light meter, 3 lenses, 6 dark slides (or Quickload Holder and one box of film) and the usual bits and bobs BUT also had to comply with airline carry-on requirments too!

I looked at the Armadillo (on-line) as I have used the old Domke Outpack years ago but decided against it because I always felt that there was wasted space in the "drawer" design. Also the manufacturing quality was poor - at least on mine! Stitching coming undone and a general "cheap" feel to it combined with a poor quality harness made the decision to bypass the Armadillo very quick and easy.

After much searching I now have my ideal set up :D A Tamrac Adventure 10 pack!

Absolutely superb! Never owned a Tamrac before as I've tended over the last few years to use Lowepro gear. But this pack is an ideal day pack when you don't need loads of gear but still prefer a backpack to a holdall-type bag (my back is not what it used to be either :cool: )

Its design is similar to an Alpine backpack - tall and narrow. This means that it feels more compact and closer-fitting when being carried - something I prefer.

The pack comprises a lower and upper compartment - divided by an internal, drop-down dividing floor. Both compartments are acessed via zipped openings.

The lower compartment is thickly padded like a regular camera bag and the upper compartment is designed for additional non-photo items so is fairly large but non-padded. BUT the upper compartment benefits from the thickly padded back of the pack and harness attachment points so is very rigid. Coupled with a thickly padded (drop-down) base only the sides are unpadded - much more like it!

The 45SU is bigger than the 45S and the bottom compartment holds it nicely. In fact the Tamrac specs are a little on the conservative side when it comes to interior dimensions - the pack is a cm or two bigger in each direction than specified on the website.

I have Gnass gear lens cases and the plan was to use these in the upper compartment but I contacted Bruce at Photobackpacker a few days ago and this is the set up I have ordered for this pack.

Bottom compartment will hold Ebony 45SU in a Photobackpacker case, and leave room for Sekonic L508 meter and Lee Filter Holder (in case) as well as loupe and cable release. The drop-down front pocket is really designed for digital shooters :eek: but the lower pockets will hold a couple of filters. There is still room in the lower section for a few odds and ends!

The upper compartment will house 3 lenses - Nikon 75mm, Schneider 110XL and a Schneider 150mm all in Photobackpacker lens cases and I have ordered a custom sized backerboard from Bruce that will fit the upper compartment and allow the lens cases to be firmly attached. This will allow the top compartment to hold a Fuji Quickload holder or a stack (okay 6) 5x4 film holders.

As I mentioned the pack is designed for digital shooters - isn't everything nowadays! But the obligatory padded laptop compartment has another use! It is designed to allow access to a laptop without opening the main pack and has a real meaty, weatherproof zip. The padded space for the laptop is perfect for .... 5x4 darkslides or a box or two (at a push) of Fuji Quickload film - cunning!

I haven't had chance to take to the hills yet but fuly loaded this pack is still light enough to make carrying LF gear a pleasant experience.

Compared to a Lowepro pack there are differences. I also use the Lowepro Pro Trekker and Super Trekker (older AW 1 versions) and these are still great systems for lugging gear but they are heavy when empty. I loaded same gear into the Pro Trekker as the Adventure 10 and was surprised at the difference in weight - the Lowepro is significantly heavier. Having said that the Lowepros are pretty bomb-proof. I had mine out in all weathers and conditions and they have done the job of protecting gear admirally. When they get dirty a quick sponge down and they're fine and they benefit from the All Weather cover. The Tamrac doesn't have a rain jacket and the offerings available from Tamrac as an accessory are too small. But a rain cover for a regular walking pack fits fine! The fabric of the Adventure 10 is a modern offering but doesn't look as if its as indestructable as the Lowpero - time will tell.

The Adventure 10 also uses the MAS system - this will allow cases to be fitted to the outer but if I need to carry this amount of gear I would probably opt for the Lowepro anyway.

Finally, as a daypack I find the Adventure 10 ideal - it will allow me to carry everything I need for a few hours shooting and (hopefully) in great comfort.

Hope this helps! Paul