PDA

View Full Version : Why so many Deardorff's auctioned?

Cyclonite
18-Jul-2008, 13:24
Hello All

I have been thinking of getting a 8x10 deardorff.

I have been trawling some auction sites of late and see four five Deardorff 8x10's for sale at any given time. Why? is there something wrong with the much lauded camera.

I have noticed here in Ireland that many people turned to traditional Black and White film photography as a knee jerk reaction to Digital. It did not take long for many to find out that it needs a fairly high level of commitment. I wonder if this had anything to do with it? or is there something you only find out about a Deardorff by buying it. "A love em or hate em kinda of thing"

Brian

http://www.brian-d-brady.com

audioexcels
18-Jul-2008, 13:38
Because they are a classic American beef machine and us Americans LOVE THEM!!! Why buy Chinese when you can get the REAL BEEF?!?!????

Only joking, but there is history behind the Deardorff, hence, many people restore these cameras, like people restore older cars, and they sell them for big money. Even ones in so-so condition are considered classics and will likely be overhauled by the person buying it. There's a certain sensation about having a Deardorff. It's simply a classic regardless of where you are from.

If I was looking for an 8X10 cam, I'd look at the Shen in the classifieds which is a far better tool to work with IMHO.

Cheers!

Terence McDonagh
18-Jul-2008, 14:00
I think it's just the shear number of them out there. I have a 1930s one and a late 1970s one. They were made well into the 1980s. When you consider the number made, I'm surprised more aren't for sale at any given time.

BarryS
18-Jul-2008, 14:12
Deardorff manufactured pretty much the same 8x10 camera from 1923 to 1988. That's sixty-five years, so they made *a lot* of cameras. Regardless of anyone's opinion, the Deardorff was a hugely successful camera. I find it a very useable camera, but a few pounds heavier than more modern 8x10's. It's a great camera for the price, and they were built to last. There's nothing sentimental or nostalgic about my love for what I consider a well-engineered working tool. Try hunting for a mint Deardorff and see how far you get, if you think they're unloved. ;)

John Kasaian
18-Jul-2008, 14:14
Deardorffs were "pro" cameras. Many big commercial studios had several and when they went digi the whole lot of 'dorff's would have been liquidated (my, that sounds so Stalinist!) so a lot have been released on the market in a fairly short period of time. These were likely bought up as either 'users' or as investments where they'd be restored and resold.
Since many of these (well, all of them really) worked for a living the ones you'll see in original, unrestored condition will exhibit various signs of wear. Whether this wear will require restoration or simply a little tlc will vary from camera to camera, but generally you'll find that these cameras have been well maintained by thier original owners---they were used to 'bring home the bacon,' after all!
If you're contemplating a 'dorff 8x10 (and IMHO you should be :) ) check out Ken Hough's Deardorff Historical Website for info on evaluating these critters.
That some 'dorffs were built from mahogany salvaged from the back bars of saloons that were closed during the U.S. prohibition only adds to their mystique and I think 'flavors' the photographic results :D
Happy 'dorffing!

Neal Shields
18-Jul-2008, 14:23
Be careful if you buy a used Deardorff. I was very lucky with mine, which I love.

The bottom which is most important part of the camera was made by glueing 4 triangluar pieces of wood together to form a square. This was to prevent warpage. However, on some cameras the seams split and this makes the rails hard to use if at all. So be sure if you buy at auction to have a clear picture of an unsplit bottom.

Also the early cameras don't have front swing. If you don't use movements (shame on you) but that won't matter and the no front swing cameras are much cheaper.

Many people (do a search) have had trouble getting Deardorff's repaired. Mine was rebuilt by Jack Deardorff right before I got it so I am good to go for about 50 more years and the insurance folks say I will go before the camera does. I think I heard that Jack Deardorff is dead now so that leaves very few options.

Having said all that, one of my goals is to get good with swings and tilts. With old eyes getting three points on the ground glass in focus at the same time can be tricky with a Deardorff or at least tricky for me.

Therefore I got a Sinar with geared movements. I like fondling the Dorff more than the Sinar but the Sinar is more practical.

Neal

Jim Galli
18-Jul-2008, 16:56
They were in production for 60 years, so there are a lot of them out there. Even the name is American. What other camera can claim to be a V8. Put me on the list that loves them and finds very little to want or do differently.

SAShruby
18-Jul-2008, 17:00
Beautiful cameras, I have 8x10 and big sister 8x20.

Ernest Purdum
18-Jul-2008, 19:57
The bottom splitting that Neal Shields mentions is, I assume, the reason for the big circular aluminum (or aluminium in Ireland) plate seen on the bottom of many Deardorff's, an add-on for some.

Many British, Japanese (and a very few American cameras) avoided this problem with the "turntable" in the bottom.

BarryS
18-Jul-2008, 20:32
The bottom splitting that Neal Shields mentions is, I assume, the reason for the big circular aluminum (or aluminium in Ireland) plate seen on the bottom of many Deardorff's, an add-on for some.

Many British, Japanese (and a very few American cameras) avoided this problem with the "turntable" in the bottom.

No, I don't think that's the case with the Deardorff bottom plate. I've read it was intended to protect the bed from scratches. The splitting is something to look out for, but I don't think it's a major issue with the majority of cameras.

Bryan Lemasters
19-Jul-2008, 06:57
No, I don't think that's the case with the Deardorff bottom plate. I've read it was intended to protect the bed from scratches. The splitting is something to look out for, but I don't think it's a major issue with the majority of cameras.

The splitting problem was most often on the earlier models that had a bed thickness of about 0.4 inches. The bed thickness on later models was increased by about 1/8 inch, presumably to address the splitting problem.

Cyclonite
19-Jul-2008, 13:57
Wow

What a nice bunch of people there are here. Thanks a million for taking the time to give me your views and advice. It is most welcome.

Thanks again Brian

tim o'brien
19-Jul-2008, 17:03
Let me add my 2 centimes Brian...

I recently bought a Deardorff V8 after using primarily 4x5 Speeds and B&J 5x7 cameras for the last 20 years. Now I still love my Speed, the B&J was a good camera for the price... but...

The first time under the hood of that V8 I knew this camera was built for me. Every control was exactly where it was suppose to be. I am under my dark (T-shirt) and was bringing in every plane of focus effortlessly. All controls were right where my fingers told me they should be.

It's a well engineered tool (I'll put mine up on the mantle if they ever stop making 8x10 film), well built (I won't outlive mine), and quite reasonable for what I payed for it.

Would you like to buy a 5x7 B&J Watson?

tim in san jose

Joan Girdler
11-Aug-2008, 12:27
I got really lucky and found a mint Dorff, 8x10 with original glass, no dings, front and rear swing plus a Goerz Dagor 300mm lens. Live in a small remote town so don't see much in the way of large format cameras. Got hooked on the Dorff because of the history and looks. Named her Alice and take very good care. She is mostly used in the studio. She has become more than a camera -she is a pet. Purchased from the original owner who used her as a seldom used back up camera to his user Dorff/.

Jeremy Moore
11-Aug-2008, 12:59
Put me on the list that loves them and finds very little to want or do differently.

Oh, what I would give for shift on my 4x5/5x7 Deardorff (WITHOUT using the front/back swing) and for an 8x10 with shift and a 7" lensboard.

Arthur Nichols
11-Aug-2008, 17:56
I am 54 years old and so is my Deardorff. As far as I can tell it has never been restored. It is a user and I use it frequently. It always works. I have never lost an image due to a fault with the camera. Granted it is on the heavy side, but maybe that is why they last forever. I would also love to have shift on the front.

tim o'brien
12-Aug-2008, 21:59
I am 54 years old and so is my Deardorff. As far as I can tell it has never been restored. It is a user and I use it frequently. It always works. I have never lost an image due to a fault with the camera. Granted it is on the heavy side, but maybe that is why they last forever. I would also love to have shift on the front.

I am 51 and my 'Dorff is 52. I need to watch the swings as I pulled a shadow on my first images on one edge from using too much movement. I certainly need to use it more.

Oh, what I would give for shift on my 4x5/5x7 Deardorff (WITHOUT using the front/back swing) and for an 8x10 with shift and a 7" lensboard.

I thought all V8s used a 6 " lensboard and the 11x14s used a 7" one.

tim always willing to be corrected in san jose

Kerik Kouklis
13-Aug-2008, 11:03
Not to be a party pooper, but I'm not a big fan of the 'dorf. I prefer a different American Classic for 8x10 and that's the Kodak Masterview. It's durable as hell, impervious to warping/cracking and stands up well to the drips of silver nitrate that come from my wet plate work. You can find good ones for $800 to $1,200, but they are much more rare than the pedestrian V8. :D

IanG
13-Aug-2008, 12:06
Kerik, I think you almost 100% right.

Deardorff's were never really the best available US LF cameras. Agfa Ansco's have a far greater claim to that crown. St Adam's and Brett Weston both used them, my own was bought new by a teacher at the Clarence White School of Photography (late 30's) because it was the best American made 10x8 camera.

Jim Galli mentions how American the Deardorff name is, but then on this forum so is Galli, Petronio, Goldfarb, Jones, Kouklis, Kasaian, Purdum , so doesn't the name Antony and Scoville (Ansco) fit in particularly well with this list of multi ethnic & cultured US misfits who make up the US part of this Forum :D

After WWII Agfa Ansco had changed they were totally different, Deardorff ruled the roost, in a similar way only Gandolfi survived in the UK both became over hyped and legendary.

Ian

EuGene Smith
13-Aug-2008, 20:17
OK, I'm one of those misfits, and rather dumb to boot . . . I have a Deardorff 8x10 (or 10x8. Whatever melts your butter), but I don't know where the engine compartment is, so how do I know if it is a V8 or a Wankel?