PDA

View Full Version : Fort Myers, FL

wfwhitaker
16-Jul-2008, 08:22
Any folks here live in the Fort Myers, FL area? I might have an opportunity to relocate there and need to find out about cost of living, quality of life, etc.

Ralph Barker
16-Jul-2008, 09:00
Would Rio Rancho qualify as a suburb of Fort Myers? ;)

We have fairly decent weather, are relatively stable quake-wise, and have no hurricanes or 'gators. Plus, real estate is still relatively inexpensive. ;)

Alan Curtis
16-Jul-2008, 09:24
I live on the other side of Florida from Ft. Myers and didn't realize Rio Rancho was so close. Ft. Myers is a nice area as far as larger Florida cities goes.However, if you want to live near the Gulf the housing cost is very high and homeowners insurance in all of Florida is also very high because like Ralph mentioned there are hurricanes. During the winter (Nov.-April) it is very crowded. The quality of life is good and you will find why most Floridians go to NC in the summer.

Doug Howk
16-Jul-2008, 10:22
Now might be a good time to relocate to Florida since housing prices have fallen. I saw in an article recently that Florida leads the Nation by a wide margin in foreclosures.

Pat Kearns
16-Jul-2008, 10:58
Houses may be cheap because of foreclosures but insurance, if you can get it, isn't. Check the flood planes near the house, if it is in a flood plane buy flood insurance. There are government sponsored flood insurance programs. FEMA might be a source of new flood planes because of recent hurricane seasons. Enjoy the sunshine, HEAT AND HUMIDITY. It's not the DRY HEAT found in Ralph's neck of the woods. :D

John Brady
16-Jul-2008, 11:03
I live in Naples about 30 minutes south of fort myers. This is a great area to live but we are undergoing very difficult times. I own a large retail business and our sales are off by 50% over two years ago. When real estate plummeted so did everything else. Unemployment is over 7% and Lee county is in the top five in the nation in foreclosures.

Now because of that it is a great time to buy property here but it will still be a while until we see a turn around.

Also depending on the type of photography that you do this is a great location, remember this is the home of Clyde Butcher.

Oh yeah and did I mention the weather? PM me if you want to talk more and I will give you my phone number so you can get more info.

jb
www.timeandlight.com

Bill_1856
16-Jul-2008, 12:42
Drugs, street crime, hurricanes, depressed real estate market, high property taxes, red tide, nearest "city" is 100 miles away (Tampa), giant cockroaches, mosquitoes, termites, elderly tourists, 30+ minutes drive to the beach, "attitude" of old residents, irresponsible/greedy city/county regulators, boom/bust "to hell with the enviroment" development, invasion of legal and illegal Hispanic immigrants.
Welcome to Florida.

John Brady
16-Jul-2008, 13:17
Drugs, street crime, hurricanes, depressed real estate market, high property taxes, red tide, nearest "city" is 100 miles away (Tampa), giant cockroaches, mosquitoes, termites, elderly tourists, 30+ minutes drive to the beach, "attitude" of old residents, irresponsible/greedy city/county regulators, boom/bust "to hell with the enviroment" development, invasion of legal and illegal Hispanic immigrants.
Welcome to Florida.

Wow, I thought my post was depressing:)

darr
16-Jul-2008, 15:54
I moved out of south Florida last year and "retreated" to Tallahassee. I feel like I am back in the USA again! From Orlando and south I would not touch with my real estate dollars. Since I made the move, I have received a raise in my income just from the savings on home owners insurance, auto insurance and cost of living. Do some research before you make your decision. PM me if I can help.

Best,
Darr

DavidFisk
17-Jul-2008, 17:04
Welcome to Florida.

....and these are the good points.....

Bill_1856
17-Jul-2008, 17:17
....and these are the good points.....

Guess I neglected to mention 100 degree days, 100% Humidity, Mold, and Mildew.
(Welcome to South Florida.)

DavidFisk
17-Jul-2008, 19:25
Guess I neglected to mention 100 degree days, 100% Humidity, Mold, and Mildew.
(Welcome to South Florida.)

Before we were married, my wife lived in Tampa. I flew there every 3 weeks or so to visit. The good thing about Florida, I found, is that every time I returned home, I appreciated Los Angeles more.

wfwhitaker
17-Jul-2008, 19:27
Before we were married, my wife lived in Tampa. I flew there every 3 weeks or so to visit. The good thing about Florida, I found, is that every time I returned home, I appreciated Los Angeles more.

But you married her anyway?

Carlos R Herrera
17-Jul-2008, 19:40
Will,

Are you still working that low-stress air traffic controller job?

CH

wfwhitaker
17-Jul-2008, 19:43
Hi Carlos!

Yes; five more years.

DavidFisk
17-Jul-2008, 19:53

Love knows no bounds. Plus, it was cheaper than all that air fare.

DavidFisk
17-Jul-2008, 20:02

Love knows no bounds. Plus, it was cheaper than all that air fare.

Clay Turtle
19-Jul-2008, 21:36
But you married her anyway?Ya, I know what ya mean, there is a strong feeling of being home every time I get to the bridge. Whether it is the Sunshine Skyway from down south or 275 coming in from the North.
Ya, as for the locals, well most crackers (native Floridians) are quite, most people don't even know that native born are around because of the number of snowbirds that transplanted themselves down here. Which is in general the cause factor of seasonal traffic congestion. As for the weather , it is hot & humid . . . rain is called liquid sunshine as we tend to have sun showers (sunny & bright rainy afternoon showers). The coastal areas tend toward heavy population growth but we have been making some headway toward returning natural habitat which make for some good scenics & the rivers / waterways provide some excellent excursions (outings) especially if you like to fish, etc.
The interior still offer, larger tracts if you are into horses & such as well as offering several sites (preserves) for camping & hiking, etc.

DavidFisk
21-Jul-2008, 08:54
Ya, I know what ya mean, there is a strong feeling of being home every time I get to the bridge. Whether it is the Sunshine Skyway from down south or 275 coming in from the North.
Ya, as for the locals, well most crackers (native Floridians) are quite, most people don't even know that native born are around because of the number of snowbirds that transplanted themselves down here. Which is in general the cause factor of seasonal traffic congestion. As for the weather , it is hot & humid . . . rain is called liquid sunshine as we tend to have sun showers (sunny & bright rainy afternoon showers). The coastal areas tend toward heavy population growth but we have been making some headway toward returning natural habitat which make for some good scenics & the rivers / waterways provide some excellent excursions (outings) especially if you like to fish, etc.
The interior still offer, larger tracts if you are into horses & such as well as offering several sites (preserves) for camping & hiking, etc.

Of course, I made her move to Los Angeles as part of the deal.

Clay Turtle
21-Jul-2008, 19:23
Of course, I made her move to Los Angeles as part of the deal.Ah, yes as you have already stated
Love knows no bounds. Either in asking or recieving.

darr
21-Jul-2008, 21:08
The good thing about Florida, I found, is that every time I returned home, I appreciated Los Angeles more.

And here I was taught:

Come
And
Live
In
Florida

:rolleyes: