PDA

View Full Version : Cheap lensboards for copal 0, 1 on 4x5 Chamonix

gevalia
15-Jul-2008, 10:24
Guys,

My 4x5 Chamonix should be coming sometime in August. I've got a few lenses that I will be using and need lensboards. They are currently being used on my Speed Graphics. I understand that the 4x5 Chami uses Linhoff boards but I'd really like to not drop that kind of cash and I am hoping those in-the-know have inexpensive alternatives. I don't need no stinkin' badges on my lensboards (I finally got to use that Cheech and Chong line) after all these years.

I'll need them drilled for copal 0 and copal 1 shutters.

Thanks,
Ron

BradS
15-Jul-2008, 10:29
Badger Graphic sell brand new generic boards for around $30 each. Many other sources of used boards can be found. There is definitely no need to buy Linhof (or Wist) badged boards. The generics work and fit very well.

Daniel_Buck
15-Jul-2008, 11:37
if you like working with wood, you could make your own for pretty cheap :) I've made quite a few out of cardboard and other materials, for testing purposes.

IanG
15-Jul-2008, 11:51
I've found Aluminium sheet easy to get cut to size and then just drill and file for whatever shutter size. Spray with primer & matt black.

While these have actually worked fine for over 20 years with my Wista I do prefer to use a proper Wista/Linhof or generic fit board.

I also have some black ABS sheet that has a stipple finish one side, plain the other, this is great for quick boards for testing lenses. I just score it with a Stanley (Hobby) knife and snap to size, then drill the hole. These work fine on Cambo's etc.

Ian

BarryS
15-Jul-2008, 12:11
Cheech and Chong line? That line is originally from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart, and then parodied in Blazing Saddles--but I don't remember Cheech and/or Chong in either movie. :)

You can use any generic Technika board with the Chamonix. There's a few variations of "Linhof" boards, but any Technika-style board should fit. I've bought some from Badger and some from fellow forum members. Try a WTB ad in the classifieds.

Don Boyd
15-Jul-2008, 13:28
Ron,
I got two #0 boards from Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. I had $50 credit and it covered their cost plus mailing so they couldn't be much. www.mpex.com

J_Tardiff
15-Jul-2008, 13:37
I've had good luck with the "Bromwell" boards from B&H Photo -- be sure to check their USED section because they show up there for less $$ with some frequency.

I have also bought some from KEH and MPEX.

Enjoy the Chamonix, I love mine.

JT