PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Type 72 Questions

Preston
14-Jul-2008, 22:34
I will be using some Polaroid Type 72 later this week and have a few questions...

1. If you have used film did you shoot it at the rated ISO, or something else?

2. What can I expect in terms in terms of tonal range and contrast, assuming a normal developing time?

3. Are there any 'watch-outs' I need to be aware of?

I will be using it up in the mountains.

Thanks for your help,

-P

J D Clark
15-Jul-2008, 00:23
Preston,
In general, Polaroid material are more UV sensitive than most film, and I've found that I have to rate them at a *higher* speed than the marked ISO. So, for instance, for Type 54 (ISO 100), I use it at ISO 160, sometimes ISO 200 at higher elevations where there is more UV.

Take a couple of test exposures, or adjust your ISO as you go with this in mind.

JD Clark
www.johndclark.com

John Bowen
15-Jul-2008, 04:36
Preston,

Polaroid will vary box to box and sometimes sheet to sheet within the same box. I would recommend you follow JD's advice and make a few test exposures and be prepared to use more than 1 sheet of film to get the correct exposure.

Have fun,

John

Bruce Barlow
15-Jul-2008, 04:41
I will be using some Polaroid Type 72 later this week and have a few questions...

1. If you have used film did you shoot it at the rated ISO, or something else?

2. What can I expect in terms in terms of tonal range and contrast, assuming a normal developing time?

3. Are there any 'watch-outs' I need to be aware of?

I will be using it up in the mountains.

Thanks for your help,

-P

1. I often seem to be using it somewhere between 800 and 1600 in open shade. It can also vary within a box, so you just need to keep an eye on it.

2. Zone III to Zone VII are usable, contrast is pleasant, unlike Type 67 (3000 ISO) which is lunar. You can get nice images from 72.

3. a. Expose for the value you insist on, and take what you get elsewhere. That is, if the skin tones need to be Zone VI, then meter them and expose them for Zone VI. Whatever else you get, you get.

b. You can see a 1/3 stop difference in exposure, and often it makes a difference between a keeper and an otherwise. Using Polaroid will improve your exposure methods, or you will toss your holder in frustration, one or the other.

c. Type 72 is addictive because it's really fun. I love Type 72 portraits, for instance, because there's immediate gratification, and no darkroom work. I give them to the subjects, usually pretty girls, and feel good about it.

d. If you do the math of film, developer chemicals, proofing paper, printing chemicals, etc. vs. Polaroid, the cost difference isn't as bad as it might appear, and you've saved boatloads of time doing the boring stuff. And the learning value of Polaroid vastly exceeds film for the important aspects of photography, such as learning where to stand and to point the camera.

e. Polaroid can be a good sphincter-loosener when you're feeling too tight as an LF guy. I'll take a box of Type 72, no real film, and spend a morning playing. I loosen up considerably by the end, have had a lot of fun, and if the gods are with me, have a single-print keeper.

Well, that's plenty to watch out for! Have fun!

Preston
15-Jul-2008, 19:27
Thanks for the excellent advice, gents!

I've shot Type 52 and 54 in the past and did have a lot of fun with it. Like many others, I lament the passing of these films.

-P

Bruce Barlow
16-Jul-2008, 03:51
I used 52 for years and years. Then I did a side-by-side of 52 vs 72 (since both are rated ISO 400). I liked 72 MUCH better. It seemed to have less grain, be sharper, and coaterless made strike three.