PDA

View Full Version : Preserving concentrates

Don Hutton
14-Jul-2008, 10:30
Just an FYI... I do a fair amount of both C41 and E6 processing on a Jobo, but often find my processing is sporadic and it's pretty easy to have color developer concentrates go bad. Also, now that Kodak seems to have stopped making 1-gallon C41 Flexicolor developer, I'll have to start using the 5-gallon kit which would last me over a year...

I recently bought a device called an Ultra Wine Saver - this is a very small argon dispenser - it has a built in regulator which allows exactly 1.4 cu inches of argon to be dispensed per second. This really seems to be a great idea for low volume color processing - you can put a layer of perfectly inert argon onto anything very conveniently and quickly. The product is designed for preserving opened bottles of wine so it's very convenient for using on concentrate bottles - calculate the area of the concentrate in the bottle and you can quickly work out exactly how many seconds from the UWS will apply a 1 inch layer onto the concentrate (argon is over two times heavier than air so it "sits" on the concentrate) which should protect it from oxidation for a very long time.

The good news: this little device only costs $30 - and that includes 3 spare cartridges - http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Wine-Saver-Argon-Saving/dp/B000O3GA5C Extra cartridges are around $3 each and the math suggest that for infrequent chemistry use, this is a very cheap solution. A recent check at a welding supplier revealed about $150 for the cheapest solution there (although, you'd likely have enough argon for a lifetime with that solution). I have no connection with this outfit and there are plenty of other similar devices on the market now which should work at least as well - just a heads up on what seems to be a pretty elegant solution. The product appears to be adequately made etc., but obviously for $30, you're not getting a work of art - it's functional. I've only had it for a couple of weeks - mine worked perfectly and is pretty handy to use.

Of course, you could use it for wine too, but I find wine is generally supplied in very convenient 750mm servings...

John Brady
14-Jul-2008, 11:43
Thanks Don, very useful advice. I have been using the Kodak 5L e-6 kit and the tetanol 5L kit. I mix both from concentrate as needed. I only develop my own work so this is a lot of chemistry for me too. I have been concerned about the concentrate of both of these going bad. What do you think the shelf life is for both of these concentrates once open assuming no argon was used?

Thanks for the heads up, I will pick up some of the uws.
jb
www.timeandlight.com

Don Hutton
14-Jul-2008, 12:18
John

I use the Kodak E6 - I've used chemistry out to about 6 months or so - but by that point, I start to get nervous and usually throw what's left out. I take care to squeeze as much air out of the developers as I can. The first developer goes yellow and then brown as it oxidizers - I've used "light yellow", but never tried it beyond that.

Ralph Barker
14-Jul-2008, 14:36
Great idea, Don. Thanks.

Since my brain is also having problems with "concentrates" these days, I wonder if breathing the argon would help. ;)

Lenny Eiger
16-Jul-2008, 15:04
Just an FYI... I do a fair amount of both C41 and E6 processing on a Jobo, but often find my processing is sporadic and it's pretty easy to have color developer concentrates go bad. Also, now that Kodak seems to have stopped making 1-gallon C41 Flexicolor developer, I'll have to start using the 5-gallon kit which would last me over a year...

I've been using the Unicolor Chemistry, Their 3 step Rapid E-6 and K2 for C-4. I've been pretty happy with it, and it comes in 1 Gallon size (and some smaller ones). Don't know if its up to your specs, but you could give it a try...

Lenny

Greg Lockrey
16-Jul-2008, 18:51
I used to put marbles in the chemistry to reduce the air space. Seemed to work just fine.