PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Film Holders

Michael Graves
13-Jul-2008, 08:58
I was just placing a film order over at Freestyle and happened across a "special offer". They had two packs of Toyo 4x5 film holders for $42.99. That's $17.00 less than B&H had them, so it sounded pretty good. I've got enough film holders to choke an elephant right now, but I keep hearing how good these are, so I ordered two. At least I'll be able to compare directly.

Sal Santamaura
13-Jul-2008, 09:11
Be sure to tell us how they smell:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8417&highlight=reeking

I'd love to buy more but, unless Toyo moved production back to Japan and/or has gone back to using the same plastic resin it did 10 or more years ago, won't.

Michael Graves
13-Jul-2008, 09:20
I shall do that. Good thing Freestyle has a liberal return policy.

Ralph Barker
13-Jul-2008, 09:24
I ran across a similar deal a few months back, and bought a few. The construction is definitely better than Fidelity and others - very smooth in function. Although initially a little stinky, that has gone away.

Sal Santamaura
13-Jul-2008, 11:47
I purchased a box of two more 4x5 holders roughly 1-1/2 years ago as a test. They stunk as expected, but I placed them out in the garage to "air out." As of this writing, they still reek, albeit slightly less so.

The test continues...

Ralph Barker
13-Jul-2008, 15:12
That's interesting Sal. Mine now have only a faint odor, if I sniff with nose to the holder (instead of the grindstone).

Maybe I should set up a de-reeking business in the dry New Mexico air. ;)

drew.saunders
13-Jul-2008, 16:00
Freestyle has been running this special for months now. I have bought 5 2-packs over the course of a couple of Freestyle orders. Oh, they smell the same as some 8-year-old Fidelity holders I have.

Jim Cole
13-Jul-2008, 18:30
I have also purchased 5 2-packs from FreeStyle in three separate orders over the last 2 months, all with no more than a new plastic smell. I think you'll be fine with your purchase.

These holders are smooth and I have had a couple of shots with direct sun shining into the open slot with the darkslide removed and have had no light leaks.

They are a great deal at 2 for $43!

ljsegil
14-Jul-2008, 02:51
but no bargains there for 8x10. Anybody know of any?
LJS

Michael Graves
20-Jul-2008, 11:05
Mine arrived yesterday. No apparent smell that I could tell. Are they better than Fidelity or Lisco? I certainly wouldn't pay more for the Toyos than I would for a pair of brand new Lisco or Fidelity. But they are certainly nice. The fact that they are brand new makes them better. I wasn't aware that Toyo had changed over to plastic darkslides until after I ordered, so perhaps that is affecting my judgement. Still, for a pair of brand spanking new film holders....I think it's a pretty good deal.

Toyon
20-Jul-2008, 11:54
Just air them out for a couple of weeks. They are better than Fidelity/Lisco/Riteway but the darkslides are more liable to develop small fractures.

arthur berger
20-Jul-2008, 14:26
It is the 8x10 Toyo film holders that smell awful. The 4x5 ones that I have do not have an odor. My 8x10 Toyo holders havent lost that smell in over a year.

Michael Alpert
23-Jul-2008, 11:29
I also have some 8x10 Toyo holders that need some sort of chemical treatment to get rid of their smell. What causes the odor and how can it be eliminated?

evan clarke
23-Jul-2008, 12:54
I have a couple dozen of them which I bought from Badger about 5 years ago and they have had no smell...EC

snip
24-Jul-2008, 13:21
Be sure to tell us how they smell:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8417&highlight=reeking

I'd love to buy more but, unless Toyo moved production back to Japan and/or has gone back to using the same plastic resin it did 10 or more years ago, won't.

I just bought some from Robert White, they smell LOVELY and they work really really well, they are glued as well as riveted.

//Jan

Santo Roman
26-Jul-2008, 19:40
My holders smell like fixer and stop bath. Just like my aftershave.

santo

Charles Hohenstein
28-Jul-2008, 14:55
My holders smell like fixer and stop bath. Just like my aftershave.

santo

I wish that I could get cologne that smelled like fixer. Is there a more delectable scent?

Santo Roman
28-Jul-2008, 22:08
I wish that I could get cologne that smelled like fixer. Is there a more delectable scent?

Charles...No there is not a better scent. The colleges in NJ are now switching to a non-scent fixer/stop bath. I thought that was part of the experience of majoring in photography. Hell, when I was in school that was the only reason why i wanted to be in the darkroom all day.

santo