PDA

View Full Version : Tamrac Adventure 10 - any users?

Paul O
13-Jul-2008, 03:21
Hi. In my quest for a pack that is going to be aircraft carry-on compatible and allow me to carry camera and lenses without going over weight limit I've stumbled across a (newly-released?) backpack from Tamrac - the Adventure 10. The specs/literature seem to indicate I may have found my "holy grail" but I wondered if anyone else out there is using one? TIA. Paul

jotloob
13-Jul-2008, 04:51
Paul

I do not have a TAMRAC ADEVENTURE 10 , but am also thinking of buying one .
So I came across the EXPEDITION Series and I find them much better .
Unfortunately , and thats what I believe , it is very hard to buy one of these backpacks without having seen them and tried out with some of your gear .

Jurgen

Paul O
13-Jul-2008, 05:54
Hi Jurgen. I've looked at the Expedition series but they are a bit on the heavy side - they will take me over the allocated weight limit as a carry-on.

Aender Brepsom
13-Jul-2008, 06:07
Did you take a look at the Lowepro Vertex series? They are quite aircraft carry-on friendly.

Eirik Berger
13-Jul-2008, 07:03
I have the Tamrac Expedition 8 for my 4x5" gear, and I am vey happy with it. It is very comfortable to walk with. I have a complete system with camera, 4 lenses, 16 filmholders, loupe, light meter, filter-system and a 6x17 back.

If I leave the 6x17 back and filtersystem at home and use quickload/readyload, I can bring food and something to drink as well.

The only thing I don´t like is the two "pockets" on the back (each side of where the tripod is supposed to be). The y have small sleeves for memorycards and other useless items :)

jotloob
13-Jul-2008, 08:28
Eirik

That sounds very good . I have an older TAMRAC for my 4x5 ARCASWISS but it is not as comfortable as you report .
I will have a look for the EXPEDITION 7 as I will use it with my ARCASWISS 6x9 + 3 lenses + two rollfilm holders .
I don't need a LAPTOP pouch but could use it for other stuff .
The only disadvantage for me is , I live far in the countryside , and there is no dealer within the next 100km who could have that backpack .

Thanks for the hint .
Regards Jurgen

jotloob
13-Jul-2008, 08:33
Paul

The EXPEDITION 7 is 2,9kg . I admit that is not a leight weight , but I will never do very long walks with it , so I will give it a chance .

mealers
13-Jul-2008, 15:22
I've been using an Expedition 7 for a couple years now and really like it. Ive flown with it (as carry on) and walked a fair few miles with it and have no real complaints.
I specially like its harness for hiking, very comfortable!

Eirik Berger
13-Jul-2008, 16:12
Jurgen

I live in an outpost in the high Arctic (at 78°N) and ordered mine from B&H. 6 days later it arrived. No need for a dealer. ;)

jotloob
14-Jul-2008, 00:11
Eirik

My dealer does not have TAMRAC .
But I found an other dealer , who will send me the EXPEDITION 7x . It will take about 2 weeks , because backpacks 7x + 8x are not in stock . I will give feedback with my first experiences , when I have got the 7x .

Regards Jürgen

Paul O
15-Jul-2008, 06:26
Just thought I'd update my original post - I ordered a Tamrac Adventure 10 yesterday and it arrived today :)

First impressions .... this is just what I've been looking for :D

Quality is first rate - having never owned a Tamrac (been a Lowpero man myself!) I was pleasantly surprised at how well-made the pack is. Most important it is so light!

I've had a quick "play" and the bottom compartment will comfortably house an Ebony 45SU (quite large for a 5x4 camera) as well as plenty of room for light meter, darkcloth, Lee Filters wallet and a few odds and ends. Nicely padded too! The upper compartment is not padded on the sides (designed to take waterproofs, lunch etc) but has a thickly padded back and floor and will comfortably hold 2 Gnass Gear lens cases (each holding 2 lenses) with plenty of room for at least 6 5x4 darkslides/Quickload holder.

This pack is designed to carry a laptop and the laptop sleeve is accessible from outside the pack and is very well padded - what's more it is ideal for carrying 5x4 darkslides too! I imagine it would hold a box or two of Quickload film? It will need some type of wallet to hold the regular film holders but this should be easy to fabricate - I'll let you know!

Harness is well-padded and comfortable and waist belt nicely padded too!

Overall. I'm ;) very happy!

Greg Miller
15-Jul-2008, 08:08
I have been using a Tamrac Adenture 9 for my hiking/DSLR kit for about a year. Overall I ma very happy with it. The primary feature that I like is the ability to easily get at the camera compartment with its front loading panel.

There are some minor things that could improve it though:

1) Size the side mesh panels to more easily accommodate a Nalgene water bottle. It is an extremely tight squeeze as-is.
2) Make the side mesh panels more durable. They break pretty easily when brushing up against a rock face. (this will probably cause me to have to replace the bag much earlier than I would like).
3) Make the zipper overhang fabric more stiff on the camera compartment panel so it does not get caught in the zipper when closing the compartment.