PDA

View Full Version : Prematurely ageing film

4NGU$
12-Jul-2008, 18:08
so this is not strictly a Large format question, not that i know weather it has to be or not

but i was hopping somebody on here could possibly tell me the best way to prematurely age 35mm film/ any film

im most likely going to be doing the with color film but i might see where i get with black and white

i have seen old/out of date color film produce some stunning and individual results
but i don't want to have to wait for it to age :rolleyes:
us impatient teenagers hey :cool:

thanks in advance for any replies

:eek: and hi from Liverpool by the way :)

Ron Marshall
12-Jul-2008, 18:37
Off the top of my head, heating the film would probably be the easiest and quickest way, if your intension is to alter the color balance; you would have to experiment to find optimal time and temp.

You might find what you are looking for by cross processing, or by using Photoshop.

4NGU$
12-Jul-2008, 18:47
yeah i was hoping to get a change in the colour balance seems to do something with the grain structure too ?

i have looked at using ps but i'm not getting were i want with that
i will get some cheap film and play with temperatures and times then
i had though about this but never really had a go at it
never thought about the cross processing though

do you think that higher speed film would react more towards the effect im looking for ?

thanks again :)

Jim Galli
12-Jul-2008, 18:54
Unlike wine, film when it ages doesn't require a premium when being purchased. In fact you may find someone to give the stuff away. Something you might well enjoy is to take fresh film and change the ph on the developers. You will get similar color shifts that way as when you tweak the developer ph the order of development in the 3 layers gets all messed up. Most of us just think that's ugly.

Jon Shiu
12-Jul-2008, 21:28
Hi, the easiest way is just to buy old film off of ebay. I think a guy did a test by heating film, in Photo Techniques magazine, and it didn't result in much color shift.

Jon

Andrew O'Neill
12-Jul-2008, 22:25
Impatient teenagers indeed! Too impatient to press the shift key when you type I ;)
Good on ya for using film!! Wish I could help you, but I spend most of my time preventing my film from aging. What if you heat it up? Leave it in the sun?
I'd like to see some examples of images where the film was aged. Any links?

4NGU$
13-Jul-2008, 01:32
Unfortunately I don't have any links to work of this sort, its just some prints that "i" :P have seen that used old film to achieve a nice effect.

Thanks a lot for all of your responses and I will look into buying some old film then :)
would like to try and age it myself though, just to try something experimental