PDA

View Full Version : New Bellows

Adam Touffay
12-Jul-2008, 12:33
Where in the U.S. can I get a new bellows for my 4x5 wooden field camera? Who makes bellows of the material found on Sinars?

lenser
12-Jul-2008, 13:14
I don't know about the Sinar bellows material as I've never seen a Sinar in person, but Turner Bellows Company in New York has made a couple of fine bellows for me at good rates. One is now approaching 25 years old and is still in gorgeous condition.

Peter De Smidt
13-Jul-2008, 07:54
The Sinar bellows are, I believe, made by Camera Bellows in England. Camera bellows makes outstanding bellows. Western Bellows in the US has an excellent reputation, although I had a camera damaged when they shipped it back to me. Hopefully, they pack things better now. The bellows were nice. I've not had Turner bellows make me anything, but I've heard a few more complaints about their bellows. On the other hand, I've also heard good reports about them. Why not get quotes from all three?

audioexcels
13-Jul-2008, 21:24
I think the real cost breaker is shipping to UK and back. I know the shop in UK is a very set standard for bellows, but how do people afford them after price-higher, and then factoring in basically 3X the shipping costs if the camera is being shipped overseas?

Gene McCluney
13-Jul-2008, 22:09
I think the real cost breaker is shipping to UK and back. I know the shop in UK is a very set standard for bellows, but how do people afford them after price-higher, and then factoring in basically 3X the shipping costs if the camera is being shipped overseas?

The answer is...you don't ship the camera overseas, you just ship the old bellows frames. No need to ship the camera. The wood or plastic bellows frames weigh almost nothing. FYI, bellows are glued to frames front and back, and these frames are secured to the camera back and lens standard, usually with screws (on older cameras). It is easy to disassemble the bellows & frames from the camera.

I think you would be surprised at how similar the prices are to domestic bellows. Plus, if you want the same covering as a Sinar bellows, you need to go to the source.

Greg Lockrey
13-Jul-2008, 22:13
What is your make of your wooden field camera? I just happen to have one for an Ebony SV45Ti not being used. Perhaps it will fit your needs.

Mike Castles
14-Jul-2008, 04:59
Surprised no one has metioned Western Bellows yet. Search the forum for them, to find contact information. Camerea Bellows did a great job on my Eastman No. 2 7x11, the bellows are a bit odd on it. And Turner Bellows was very prompt to respond to emails when I went looking for a new bellows.

audioexcels
14-Jul-2008, 06:34
Surprised no one has metioned Western Bellows yet. Search the forum for them, to find contact information. Camerea Bellows did a great job on my Eastman No. 2 7x11, the bellows are a bit odd on it. And Turner Bellows was very prompt to respond to emails when I went looking for a new bellows.

Mike,

How pricey is Western Bellows and how is the reported quality compared to the UK bellows place? BTW, when you say they look odd on the Eastman, what do you mean by this?

Gene had a good point about the lightness of the standards, but aren't there cameras that require tapered bellows that come off the front of the cam, but not the rear such as Wisners/Canhams do in order to convert their cameras to other larger backs, etc.

Mike Castles
14-Jul-2008, 06:46
Mike, do not have first hand knowledge of Western Bellows, but others here have used them and report that the bellows are good. The comment about the Eastman is because the front standard of the 7x11 is larger (read wider) than most cameras of this era, is all. Not because of the way the bellows was made, but the actuall desgin by Eastman, say 100 year ago.

Gene McCluney
14-Jul-2008, 07:33
Mike,

Gene had a good point about the lightness of the standards, but aren't there cameras that require tapered bellows that come off the front of the cam, but not the rear such as Wisners/Canhams do in order to convert their cameras to other larger backs, etc.

While "some" cameras may have an easy way to remove bellows (to replace with bag bellows, etc.) the main thing to remember is, no matter what bellows style your camera has, tapered, straight, small pleats, large pleats, ALL bellows can be removed from cameras and sent in for replacement. All the bellows maker needs is the front and back frames and the remnants of the old bellows.