PDA

View Full Version : Bellows for Korona 5x7

Simon Parsons
3-Feb-2001, 19:01
I have recently acquired a Korona 5x7 in reasonable condition and would like to clean it up and use it. The bellows is light tight but very dirty inside and ou t. The inside of the bellows is fabric and the exterior some indeterminate smoot h material. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can clean the bellows? Thanks, Simon

Doug Paramore
3-Feb-2001, 22:21
Simon: Bellows can be cleaned, but I would suggest you make a slow project of it. You don't want to soak the material, which can break down the glue. I would start with either Q-Tips or a small, soft clot dampened with clean water. Extend the bellows as far as you can, vaccuum and brush it both inside and out, and start working on small sections at a time. If more is needed, add a little dish soap (not dishwasher type- it is too harsh) and rub some more. You will be surprised at how a bellows will clean up with just water and soap and water. A damp cloth might also be used inside to rub the black fabric to remove imbedded dirt and dust. After cleaning, treat the bellows to keep it soft. I think there is a thread in the old questions section of this site with recommended treatment solutions. If you find it necessary to rub hard on the outside, place your hand inside the bellows for support. It isn't rocket science, but you do need to go slowly and carefully to avoid damage. Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Doug Paramore
3-Feb-2001, 22:23
Simon: That should read cloth instead of clot. I don't know why I can't spot errors until after I hit the "submit" button.

Sorry,

Matt_1193
4-Feb-2001, 00:30
I have always had good results using "Armour-All". Yes, the stuff you buy at the automotive store for cleaning your dashboard. It works great for lubricating and conditioning a vinyl or synthetic bellows, as well as leather - and cleans at the same time.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
4-Feb-2001, 01:09
FWIW

I used to recommend Armor -All until someone pointed out to me that sports car owners with Pirelli tires and so on had taken the mfg to court because it contains silicone and that was not disclosed on the packaging. Seems it wrecks havoc with multiple applications over time.

I know Ken Hough advised me to NOT use any silicone based product for bellows and in fact recommends Lemon Pledge