PDA

View Full Version : What did Ansel Adams use?

John Kasaian
11-Jul-2008, 15:38
To pack his 8x10? I know he used a donkey for a short time, but there are stories of him back packing his 8x10 (and glass plates fer 'eavan's sakes!)far away from the Cadillac. What did the Master use to cart his stuff?

Walter Calahan
11-Jul-2008, 16:12
A mule, not a donkey. You can rent a mule in Yosemite.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/activities_mulehorsebackrides.aspx

He had an old (new then) Ford Woody before getting a Cadillac.

Robert Brummitt
11-Jul-2008, 16:17
To pack his 8x10? I know he used a donkey for a short time, but there are stories of him back packing his 8x10 (and glass plates fer 'eavan's sakes!)far away from the Cadillac. What did the Master use to cart his stuff?

A mule as said before but I'm sure he used his assistants as well. When my son gets old enough and strong enough. He will be my mule! OK Boy. Carry that gear over there. Now Haw, Move along!

Merg Ross
11-Jul-2008, 20:51
Michael, perhaps?

John, I was on a Sierra Club high altitude trip in the Sierra in 1956 and my father was "official" photographer. It was, as I recall, around the Virginia Lakes area and Dave Brower was along, before he became disenchanted with the Sierra Club.

The 8x10 was my father's camera of choice for the two week outing, and I recall him being inundated around the evening campfires with questions from folks who wanted to know all about the best way to get a great shot with their 35mm camera. He was not the man to ask, but it was an interesting two weeks.

But more to your question, when we left camp each morning to move up the trail, I had about twenty-five pounds of Artars, Dagors and film holders in my small pack, he had the Ansco and Reis. The lunch was provided, so we had little else to carry, the rest of our gear was on the pack animals.

I do recall the last night of the trip vividly. My father had enough of the campfire chats, and decided that we would not stop at the designated camp. So, we pushed on toward the trailhead, as darkness descended and the altitude increased, and shortly after midnight we arrived at the trailhead and collapsed in the old family Ranchwagon that we had positioned two weeks prior. We were bushed, and later I discovered that in the moonlight, we had crossed a 12,000 foot pass. It was also at this time, at the age of fifteen, that I began to question my father's judgement.

So, there you have it; a complete non answer to your question.

Cheers,
Merg

Bill_1856
11-Jul-2008, 20:53
Shank's Mare?

John Kasaian
11-Jul-2008, 23:28
Thats a great story Merg!

If I run into Michael, I'll have to ask him!

Robert Brummitt
12-Jul-2008, 07:17
Thats a great story Merg!

If I run into Michael, I'll have to ask him!

I agree that was a great story, Merg! It also proved that sons are great mules in some cases.:) :)

Ralph Barker
12-Jul-2008, 07:31
Marine Boot Camp is one of the best "mule" training centers around. ;)

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/Misc/Family/KB-YNP98-550bw.jpg

My son on the trail to Mirror Lake back in '98. "I can carry that for you, Dad." "OK."

Don Dudenbostel
12-Jul-2008, 08:04
I studied with Ansel in the mid 70's and at that time he used a Ford LTD. I have a picture of his license plate somewhere, ZONE V.

Actually in the 70's, due to arthritis , he used his Hasselblads mostly.

PBimages
12-Jul-2008, 08:32
Just seen an Exhibition of his work at the Walsall Art Gallery, his work is more impressive upclose in person then when viewed on a computer screen or in a book!

At the end of the day, he had successfully mastered his skill to such a high level, that people like me can only ever dream of producing work like that!

David Carson
12-Jul-2008, 09:08
Check this out: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/ansel/sfeature/sf_packing.html

David A. Goldfarb
12-Jul-2008, 09:18
Check this out: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/ansel/sfeature/sf_packing.html

That's a great page! I like William Henry Jackson's list--"400 pieces of glass."

Brian Ellis
12-Jul-2008, 18:10
That's a great page! I like William Henry Jackson's list--"400 pieces of glass."

Wasn't it William Henry Jackson who spent a couple months or so in the wilderness making hundreds of photographs on wet plate, then on the return trip the mule slipped, the plates fell to the ground and broke, so he turned around and went back in for another few months? Or something like that.

Caroline Matthews
12-Jul-2008, 19:05
Wasn't it William Henry Jackson who spent a couple months or so in the wilderness making hundreds of photographs on wet plate, then on the return trip the mule slipped, the plates fell to the ground and broke, so he turned around and went back in for another few months? Or something like that.

I just LOVE (not!) Brian's urban myths. Why can he not check his facts and make an accurate post, rather than "...or something like that." Or somthing like that is not helpful, accurate, or useful. Thanks Brian.

Keith Tapscott.
13-Jul-2008, 00:27
What 8x10 Camera did he use?

Robert Brummitt
13-Jul-2008, 11:48
Wow, how about this! Bionic carriers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdK2y3lphmE

I wouldn't be surprised if Calumet starts selling this!

John Kasaian
13-Jul-2008, 12:40
What 8x10 Camera did he use?

A bunch of them, Keith!

Many of his more famous 8x10s were taken with an Ansco, though several were taken with an aluminium version of the 2D (?) IIRC.

When I met Mr. Adams he had two 8x10.s set up at the Tunnel View in Yosemite. I seem to recall that one of them was a Kodak Master View (but I could be mistaken---I was probably less than 8 years old at the time!) There is a story that he tried a Deardorff for a short time but wasn't impressed. Whether or not that was why they started building 'dorff's with front swings is anyone's guess, but that's the urban legend I've heard.

Cheers

CG
13-Jul-2008, 12:55
Wasn't it William Henry Jackson who spent a couple months or so in the wilderness making hundreds of photographs on wet plate, then on the return trip the mule slipped, the plates fell to the ground and broke, so he turned around and went back in for another few months? ...

I believe it was Jackson. Wikipedia has same info too.

C

mdd99
7-Aug-2008, 18:21
Ansel lost a passel of glass plates that fell into the drink in Alaska, too.

Turner Reich
7-Aug-2008, 21:03
Ansel use other people, his son, friends, assistants to carry his extra stuff.

Allen in Montreal
7-Aug-2008, 22:17
Michael, perhaps?

John, I was on a Sierra Club high altitude trip in the Sierra in 1956 and my father was "official" photographer. It was, as I recall, around the Virginia Lakes area and Dave Brower was along, before he became disenchanted with the Sierra Club.

The 8x10 was my father's camera of choice for the two week outing........

Cheers,
Merg

Great story!
Please forgive me for not knowing this, but can I assume Alan Ross is a family member too?

Jim Galli
7-Aug-2008, 23:09

Walter, I think you've got your woodies confused. Ansel had a '37 Pontiac woody with roof rack that he used for the 1941 park service stuff and also it turns up in Manzanar. Edward Weston rides around in a very natty '48 Ford woodie in the 1952 Willard Van Dyke film. Merg, was it his? He never drove. Me, I'd settle for either one thank you.

John Kasaian
7-Aug-2008, 23:43

Walter,
IIRC, Ansel owned Mistletoe the donkey.:)

Merg Ross
8-Aug-2008, 07:41
Jim, correct, Edward never drove and did not own a woodie. I believe that the Van Dyke film was released in '48 and the Stoumen film in '57. However, if you were in Rhyolite in 1948 you would have seen Edward being driven about in a '48 Mercury woodie with my father behind the wheel. A good story, but waaay off topic. Sorry.

Allen, no family connection that I am aware of.

Deane Johnson
8-Aug-2008, 11:35
Ansel had a photo of a International TravelAll with a rack on top in one of his publications. Did he ever own one of those, or was that just a publicity photo?

Alan Curtis
8-Aug-2008, 11:44
In the early 50's Ansel visited and photographed with my father when we lived in Southern New Mexico. Ansel had what I remember as some type of station wagon with a roof platform. I remember running around on the platform, but not Ansel. I was about 6 obviously more impressed with roof platforms than Ansel.

Mark Sampson
8-Aug-2008, 12:05
David Vestal has a photograph of Ansel driving a Travelall (taken from the passenger seat) in one of his books, perhaps "The Craft of Photography". The '48(?) Cadillac wagon must have finally worn out, and we all know that Mr. Adams enjoyed new gear. His autobiography also showed a photo of a Caddy Sedan DeVille with "Zone V" California plates.

Deane Johnson
8-Aug-2008, 15:51
I know he had a white Caddy Sedan DeVille with the Zone V plates. I have a photograph of it with my Suburban parked right next to it in Carmel. Something to show the folks back home.

ignatiusjk
13-Aug-2008, 05:32
Dear Ralph Barker, please invest in a field 4x5 or 8x10. I just blew out a disc just looking at the picture. I think we can all chip in and buy you a 4x5 field camera. That is one crazy man. I thought my backpack was big and heavy, mine looks like a childs next to his. Hope you got some excellent prints.

Michael_4514
13-Aug-2008, 08:41
Ralph, can I borrow your son for a few weeks?

Marine Boot Camp is one of the best "mule" training centers around. ;)

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/Misc/Family/KB-YNP98-550bw.jpg

My son on the trail to Mirror Lake back in '98. "I can carry that for you, Dad." "OK."

Kirk Gittings
13-Aug-2008, 09:31
In the early 50's Ansel visited and photographed with my father when we lived in Southern New Mexico. Ansel had what I remember as some type of station wagon with a roof platform. I remember running around on the platform, but not Ansel. I was about 6 obviously more impressed with roof platforms than Ansel.

During the filming of Milagro Beanfield War (my sister-in-law was the local casting agent), my 9 year old son had a chance to go for a wild ride in a red Porshe with some "old guy". My son raved about the car and the ride through Northern New Mexico. The old guy of course was Robert Redford.

Scott Davis
14-Aug-2008, 10:48
Totally unrelated, but I rode an elevator with Sugar Ray Leonard shortly before the rematch with Roberto Duran. I got his autograph on the only piece of paper I had with me at the time- a program from the Hayden Planetarium. At the time, he was a spokesman for Seven Up soda. He asked me which I liked better, Seven Up or Sprite; I said Sprite, and he confided, "me too!". On the photographic front, I sold Cal Ripken Jr. four or five Olympus point-n-shoots at christmastime one year. And yes, his eyes really are that blue.

ic-racer
14-Aug-2008, 14:30
So, this is way OT also, but it may answer the OP. When I was in graduate school, Duane Michals gave a lecture and when Ansel Adams was mentioned Duane pointed out that Adams had a Rolls Royce. Don't know if that is an urban legend or not, but Duane did make the comment.

Deane Johnson
14-Aug-2008, 14:40
I don't recall mention of him ever owning a Rolls, but it seems I remember years ago that he made a photographic trip to England and moved about in a Rolls-Royce. I believe I remember him making the statement in print, perhaps in one of his book, that he didn't make any worthwhile images on the trip, he just couldn't get into it.

Deane Johnson
14-Aug-2008, 15:08
Since we're on the subject of Ansel Adams gear, I stumbled across this description in a charity auction selling a digital camera. I wonder who might bid on this and end up being a little disappointed their vacation photos don't look quite likes Ansel's prints.

5. Be another Ansel Adams with this Canon G9. 12.1 mega pixels, 6X optical zoom wtih optical image stabilizer.
Value, $500. Opening bid, $250