PDA

View Full Version : Backpackfor8x10

Lenny Eiger
11-Jul-2008, 13:05
I need to purchase a new backpack. Awful difficult to do this from a catalog - so many things can go wrong. Have you all got some suggestions for a backpack that can do 8x10 - (I haven't seen one that carries the holders up top, where they ought to be because of the weight... and tripod should be on top of that so the thing is no so tipped over on one side... my pet peeves...)

Also, any ideas where to see them in the sf bay area? (Calumet didn't have one). REI?

Should I look a Lowe and Kelty - any others? What works for you guys?

TIA

Lenny

BarryS
11-Jul-2008, 13:31
Crumpler is coming out with a very interesting backpack/roller that should hold an 8x10 field camera, a couple of lenses, and some film holders. It's called the Cork and Fork Fantasy. The biggest drawback would seem to be the lack of thought for an external tripod mount, but maybe that can be remedied. I'm seriously considering this for my Deardorff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbadbenny/2362782139/

vinny
11-Jul-2008, 13:31
photobackpacker.com
or if you can find an Art Wolfe pack by Sun Dog, discontinued but sometimes found on ebay. I got a bran new one for $59, it's huge.

ljsegil
11-Jul-2008, 13:52
Another vote for Photobackpacker.com. Plenty of room for 8x10 in their new custom Kelty packs, customizable, and even comfortable if I don't go to overboard on the load (damn heavy filmholders). In my current configuration I'm carrying the Wehman 8x10, 7 lenses, 6 filmholders, tripod with head, a blackjacket, light meter, loupe, random nonsense, and I still have room to spare for more filmholders and something to cram into a currently empty side pack. The frame is a Kelty state of the art custom fit deal (I don't speak backpack, so I don't know what to call the fancy frame), which is pretty comfortable given the ~40 pounds I'm schlepping around. Highly recommended, and superb service and advice on configuring your pack from Bruce.
LJS

Walter Calahan
11-Jul-2008, 14:28
I'd go to a store like REI with you camera to learn what's out there.

I use a backpack for my 8x10, but do not carry it on my back, instead I put it in a 3-wheel full suspension jogging baby stroller. I bungee cord my tripod to the stroller, and the film holders go in a separate bag.

Saves my back and it is easy to push or pull over terrain.

Daniel_Buck
11-Jul-2008, 15:12
Right now I'm using an F64 backpack, but I'm finding for long hikes I don't like it to well. I'm probably going to head over to REI one day and see if they have something that will fit my camera. I called the store and asked if I could bring my equipment there to try out some of the backpacks, and they said it would be no problems, and suggested I come when the store is not busy.

Does anyone near Los Angeles have a Photobackpacker.com pack? I'd be interested in checking one of them out.

John Kasaian
11-Jul-2008, 15:33
I've got a LowePro AW for the 'dorff---it's a nice pack.

Brian Ellis
11-Jul-2008, 17:08
I've used an f64 8x10 pack for years (I kept using it for 4x5 after I got out of 8x10). The main thing I like about it is that it doesn't weigh much empty, not a lot of unnecessary padding, so you're not starting out with several pounds before you even start loading it. I use it for day hikes, it probably wouldn't be very good for overnight things. I've owned about five different packs for 4x5 and 8x10, I like the f64 the best of the ones I've used.

Eric Leppanen
11-Jul-2008, 17:08
I used a Lowepro Super Trekker AW II for the last two years to haul around my 8x10 kit; an excellent pack, but on the heavy side.

Recently I purchased a Photobackpacker setup based on the Kelty Redwing P2 pack. It is currently available only via mail-order but you can go to a local REI or other outdoors store and try out a Kelty Coyote pack; it has the same suspension system as the P2. The Photobackpacker setup offers a bit more storage space than the Super Trekker while weighing noticeably less. Also, if you travel by air, the camera and lens cases can be temporarily removed from the P2 pack and put into a carry-on case, and the backpack can then be collapsed and stowed in checked baggage along with your tripod. I use mine to carry my Arca 8x10, four lenses, four film holders, and all my various LF accessories. So far I have been very happy with it.

Lenny Eiger
11-Jul-2008, 19:08
Thanks, all. Sounds like a trip to REI. (They have the best return policy in the world... they take things back even if you used them heavily.)

Lenny

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Jul-2008, 19:19
Lenny, I use an REI large travel pack. It hold all of my gear and then some for 8x10. It has a separate day pack that can hold 6 holders and the suspension is really nice. I use their Mars pack for my 8x20. It is a clamshell design and will work nicely for an 8x10 set up. I took my 8x20 into the store to make sure it would fit. I did it mid week. Didn't want to cause a scene.

Jim

Lenny Eiger
16-Jul-2008, 17:03
I called REI and just had one of those bad calls, where the guy on the phone knew nothing about what he was talking about.... So before I travelled 45 mins to go to REI I called Bruce at photobackpacker.com. This fellow was so knowledgeable, and a large format shooter. He asked what lens I was using, and he had a sheet with the exact size so he could tell me which lens box to get.

I was so impressed I bought the pack on the spot. It's great when you find someone so professional. I can't recommend him highly enough. Pack arrives on Friday.... I suppose the proof is in the pudding and I should say that up front - that I haven't used it yet... but I expect it will be just what the doc ordered.

Lenny

QT Luong
16-Jul-2008, 17:42
The Super Trekker weights a ton, but for air travel it can be checked in without damage to the contents.

mccormickstudio
16-Jul-2008, 19:27
I found an interesting 8x10 backpack solution. I bought a LowePro Stealth AWII which is designed to carry a laptop and 2 SLRs with lenses. The laptop sits within a separate removable inner case, which when removed fits my folded Chamonix perfectly. I carry three lenses on boards (two are big plasmats), six 8x10 film holders and all of the small accessories no problem. It's compact and light and I couldn't be happier. It's way lighter and smaller than the super trekker, which I also looked at.

Lenny Eiger
16-Jul-2008, 19:46
FYI - Stealth is 5.2 lbs, Super Trekker is 13 and the photobackpacker is 6 or so.

Lenny

Joakim Ahnfelt
17-Jul-2008, 05:09
Here's an economy tip. A Samsonite Cabin bag with back straps.
I holds a Arca 8x10 plus the two lenses I have for this format. Filmholders carried separately.
The stuff inside is just foam cut to fit. This is the prototype, hence the different colours and rough apperance.
I have another insert for the Wista 4x5, 6 lenses, filmholders and bits & pieces. Sorry no pictures.
This set up has to great advatages for me. Price 80 Euro, (about 130 USD) + some foam and its the maximum size to carry onbord airplanes.

Cheers
Joakim

clay harmon
17-Jul-2008, 06:24
I bought one of the big backpacks from Photobackpacker. It is essentially a Kelty Redwing with some mods to make it easy to add all of his custom photo boxes for various things like lenses and cameras. It carries like a real backpack, and is a wonderful improvement after suffering with an f/64 pack for a few years. I cannot recommend Bruce's products highly enough.

One other nice thing is that the pack can be converted back to a regular backpack with absolutely no hassle.

Matus Kalisky
17-Jul-2008, 08:11
I bought some camera and lens cases from Bruce some time ago. He handled so kindly the late delivery (caused by German customs) that I ended up with two identical sets of camera/lens cases - as Bruce have jsut sent me the same cases again for free and did not ask for the money when finaly both shippings have arrived. If i would have an 8x10, his backpacks would be my choice Nr.1. They are just a bit too large for my Tachi 4x5. The camera cases get quite some use - one for the camera and the second one for 2-3 lenses + filmholders. For me they offer a perfect ballance between weight and robustness.

Photobackpacker
25-Jul-2008, 08:17
FYI - Stealth is 5.2 lbs, Super Trekker is 13 and the photobackpacker is 6 or so.

Lenny

When comparing the weight of one backpack to another, it is important to determine the source of the weight. If it is caused by a more rigid suspension and a heavier, more supportive waist belt, that extra weight will actually make the entire load seem lighter. A backpack that does a great job of transferring the weight to your skeletal frame is amazing. The perceived load is reduced dramatically.

JPlomley
25-Jul-2008, 11:17
I've got two of Bruce's packs, the Nimbus and the new Kelty with the side pouch film holders. They are just an incredible design and have allowed my wife and I to put in 10+ mile hikes which we never would have tried with our previous Lowe SuperTrekkers. You cannot go wrong with one of Bruce's systems.

Kirk Gittings
25-Jul-2008, 11:25
I called REI and just had one of those bad calls, where the guy on the phone knew nothing about what he was talking about.... So before I travelled 45 mins to go to REI I called Bruce at photobackpacker.com. This fellow was so knowledgeable, and a large format shooter. He asked what lens I was using, and he had a sheet with the exact size so he could tell me which lens box to get.

I was so impressed I bought the pack on the spot. It's great when you find someone so professional. I can't recommend him highly enough. Pack arrives on Friday.... I suppose the proof is in the pudding and I should say that up front - that I haven't used it yet... but I expect it will be just what the doc ordered.

Lenny

My experience exactly. First rate service-quality products.

Robert Budding
2-Aug-2008, 16:58
I bought a photobackpacker.com system for my 4x5 gear. It's fantastic! I can easily carry my gear about all day without problems.

jeroldharter
25-Oct-2008, 20:03
I have two Photobackpacker setups for 4x5 (the old Redwing 3100 and the newer P2) and they are excellent. The backpacks are pretty reasonable although the internal cases can get pricey but everything works flawlessly.

Bruce is excellent to work with. Very knowledgeable and goes out if his way to provide the best service and information. Not too many people like him out there in the photo world. You can't go wrong, just get the right sized pack to hold the interior cases to hold your gear.

C. D. Keth
26-Oct-2008, 19:59
The Super Trekker weights a ton, but for air travel it can be checked in without damage to the contents.

It won't be damaged, just stolen by baggage handlers and TSA employees.;)

eshotwell
3-Nov-2008, 15:08
Lenny - good luck in your search for the ultimate 8x10 backpack. I suggest that you take a look at the f64 pack. It is designed for the 8x10 (holds a Deardorff and 4 lenses + a meter and 4 holders just fine. The best part is that it is very padded and very, very lightweight. I think B&H has them in stock. If you want a rolling backpack I've got a huge LowePro RoadRunner AW backpack. It is heavy, but it holds a ton. I might be convinced to sell it as I am now in 4x5 only. -ED