PDA

View Full Version : Era 100

fix_se
11-Jul-2008, 10:55
Hi!

I have a package of 8x10" Era 100. Does anyone know how to develop it in Rodinal or Xtol in trays? Which ISO do you rate it as?

Regards,
fix_se

Neil Purling
11-Jul-2008, 13:36
Try the time as for FP4 and you won't be far wrong.
I have souped one lot of 4x5 ERA in R09 which is the old formula of Rodinal. So off the top of my head it is 9min at 1:25 or 15 min at 1:50.
My first results didn't seem to have a lot of contrast so I have shot some more.
This stuff is designated as portrait film so the contrast may be less.
See what you think and then try a push of half or one stop.
I know the stuff is quite cheap so it is worth investigating whether ISO100 is the right speed for landscapes, not studio portraits.

Neil Purling
12-Jul-2008, 08:20
I have just souped some ERA, Foma 100 & 2 sheets of Shanghai 4x5.
I dunno how i'm going to be able to tell them apart once they're in my storage box as the ERA and Foma 100 look very similar to the naked eye' even the edge notch is the single 'U' shape.
I would say that you should be alert to the possibility of foreign bodies that found their way onto the film. I have found the emulsion side of one of my negs bears the mark of hair. If you are learning a particular technique then use the ERA, but you might want to use something better if the subject is of the slightest importance. Certainly if you are having the negative scanned you might have to spend time in correcting defects.

Neil Purling
12-Jul-2008, 22:53
More Information: I have been developing tests run with Foma, Shanghai & the ERA which is what you're interested in. I would guess that the ISO100/21 speed is right for studio work. For landscapes maybe 125ASA would be better? One needs to check again with negatives exposed under flat lighting as well as full sunlight.

Eventually you may want to try a 'better' film. Get FP4. I am not happy with the Foma It just doesn't seen so sharp and the speed isn't a true 100ASA. The shadow detail is right but the highlights don't appear as dense. The acid test would be to have my tests all printed.

If you learn anything useful do share it with the rest of the forum.

BTW You can tell the Shanghai, Foma and ERA apart by the distance the notch is from the edge of the film. The ERA has the notch closest to the edge & the Shanghai has the notch farthest from the edge.