PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 daylight processing

dazedgonebye
11-Jul-2008, 10:47
I’m thinking about doing a little 5x7…problem is, I have no darkroom. So I need a daylight developing solution for 5x7 negs.
So far, all I see is a Jobo pro tank for $300. I can’t swing that.
Any other options?

sparq
11-Jul-2008, 10:51
8x10 Unicolor print drum. I got one on ebay for $40 including a motorized base.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

dazedgonebye
11-Jul-2008, 10:56
Hey Petr,

I've seen that bit before, but I don't understand how he's using the clips to keep the film apart.

sparq
11-Jul-2008, 11:06
Steve,

You need spacers (or clips) if you want to process three or four 4x5 sheets at a time to prevent the sheets from sliding on each other. When developing two 4x5 sheets or two 5x7 sheets, no spacers are needed.

I really like the print drum method. It's economical, clean and reliable, good enough for us without a proper darkroom. The only catch is that the drums sometimes leak. I had to seal mine.

dazedgonebye
11-Jul-2008, 11:11
Steve,

You need spacers (or clips) if you want to process three or four 4x5 sheets at a time to prevent the sheets from sliding on each other. When developing two 4x5 sheets or two 5x7 sheets, no spacers are needed.

I really like the print drum method. It's economical, clean and reliable, good enough for us without a proper darkroom. The only catch is that the drums sometimes leak. I had to seal mine.

I guess I'll have to see the inside of one of these drums. I would think you'd need some way of keeping the film in place and allow the chemicals to flow evenly around them.
I'd be happy doing 2 5x7s at a time I guess. Not like I'd be shooting it like roll film anyway.

Jiri Vasina
11-Jul-2008, 12:25
Jobo 2830 print drum. Works pretty straightforward. (you need the one with ridges inside). I can process 4 sheets of 13x18cm, or even 4 sheets of 5x8", or switch one pair of those large sheets for one Jobo 2509N reel with up to 6 9x12cm/4x5" sheets.

I roll the drum on a Unicolor motor base.

kmack
11-Jul-2008, 15:08
I use a Beseler 8x10 color print drum and motorized base. My only option really, no dark room, not even a closet in the house, I had to find something I could load in a dark bag. The two 5x7 or four 4x5 limit can be a pain but the process in simple, economical, and I get consistent results.

sanking
11-Jul-2008, 16:41
I’m thinking about doing a little 5x7…problem is, I have no darkroom. So I need a daylight developing solution for 5x7 negs.
So far, all I see is a Jobo pro tank for $300. I can’t swing that.
Any other options?

Get a Beseler 11X14 print drum with a motor base. With this you can develop up to four 5X7 negatives at a time. Make sure that you get a drum with the tube dividers, and also make sure that the motor reverses.

I have owned and used many Beseler and Unicolor drums. Most of the Unicolor drums have leaked, none of the Beseler drums leak. For that reason I recommend Beseler drums over Unicolor drums.

Sandy King

Clay Turtle
27-Jul-2008, 04:42
I used a universal tank (medium format) to process 4x5 film that way for b&w reuse the chemistry as rotorary drums use limited volumes which are exhausted by single processing.
The reason multiple sheets don't move around in solutions is they tend to adhere to the wall of the tube which if you prewet the tube you can insure that they are spaced & planted against the wall.

CG
27-Jul-2008, 07:30
I believe you can make up your own tubes from plastic pipe and make them lightproof enough to only need dark when you pour chemicals in and out.

C

cjbroadbent
27-Jul-2008, 16:00
I've been doing 5x7 in Patterson Orbital trays for some time. No darkroom anymore. The trays take 2 sheets at a time. There are plenty of posts here on using the Orbital. It just works without fuss and bother. I've even done it on location.

Clay Turtle
28-Jul-2008, 04:33
I believe you can make up your own tubes from plastic pipe and make them lightproof enough to only need dark when you pour chemicals in and out.
CYes but . . . one of the reasons that the negatives (film) stays against the wall is that the interior down tube allows the tube to be filled from the bottom to the top w/o disturbing the film . . . simply pouring the solutions into a long tube would tend to dislodge the film (quick filling to produce) even development vs turbulent flow (character)? I done 4x5 but have not done any 5x7 film yet . . as size (format) increases both diameter & length must increase (unless you had a reel to thread the film on like roll film). I would think that increasing diameter to accommodate the increasing length of the sheet would be better?

I've been doing 5x7 in Patterson Orbital trays for some time. No darkroom anymore. The trays take 2 sheets at a time. There are plenty of posts here on using the Orbital. It just works without fuss and bother. I've even done it on location. Hadn't seen them yet who is handling them and what do they cost? How well do they work (slide & negative) as you have been using them?

cjbroadbent
28-Jul-2008, 05:38
Hadn't seen them yet who is handling them and what do they cost? How well do they work (slide & negative) as you have been using them?
Patterson used or old stock in the UK. More come on the market nowadays because no-one prints colour at home any more. I managed to find 4 trays and 2 motors (a hand rocker is part of the kit - good for hotel bathrooms). I've never done a transparency. When you take the necessary steps - saw off the fins, engrave the tray bottom, and take the necessary precautions - rap the sides after pouring to dislodge the film, process and fix twice so the chemicals don't exhaust - you get a very clean negative. I also have tubes but prefer the Orbital.

Scott Kathe
28-Jul-2008, 06:55
A darkroom is really not that hard. I cut a sheet of black foamcore board that fits in our bathroom window $8. Got a navy blue velvet-like curtain that I put on the inside to cover the door <$20 with curtain rod. I only develop at night so I don't even use the curtain anymore just a towel along the bottom of the door and I make sure the lights are off outside the bathroom. I got a 'boot tray' (http://www.gardeners.com/English&#37;20Boot%20Trays/Mudroom,15676,default,cp.html) to set my 3 8x10 trays up on and put this on supports over the sink. Works like a charm. Now I have a JOBO tank but I still load it in my 'darkroom'.

Scott