PDA

View Full Version : jobo expert drum 3006

pdeeee
9-Jul-2008, 22:55
hi there, I am about to buy a jobo expert drum 3006, and have noticed that there is a footpump that comes with it,(not supplied) can someone tell how this system works, does the drum pressurise? and I take it the drum allows you to develop ine the day light... I suppose what I need is a manual for it, as one doesnt come with it
anyone help?
paul

Bill_4606
10-Jul-2008, 02:34
The foot pump is handy to "pop" the lid off the drum when you want to remove the film. The drum is wet and can sometimes be a bit unwilling to give up the lid. Use of the pump is not required but does make it easier.

Bill Riley

Ron Marshall
10-Jul-2008, 09:38
As Bill said, the air pressure gently pops the lid off, rather than risking damage trying to pry it off.

You don't need a manual. Curl the sheets and place in the holes, with the ends of the sheets toward the center. Push the lid on fully and you are good to go.

There is a $25 Jobo roller base on which it is easy to hand roll the drum. Try for between 30-50 RPM, and reverse direction every two to three turns.

The website states a lower minimum chemistry volume than what I was told be a Jobo tech. so I go with 300 ml as my min.

Good luck!

Lenny Eiger
10-Jul-2008, 09:48
The website states a lower minimum chemistry volume than what I was told be a Jobo tech. so I go with 300 ml as my min.

Good luck!

I agree with everything else, but I think using the minimum volume is recipe for failure. If not this run, then the next. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so it's hard to stomach when people talk on these forums about the cheapest film, etc. I do my best to just say nothing. I used a Jobo for years and I always put the full amount of liquid in it that I could, regardless of how many sheets were in there... (a liter if I remember correctly). It takes a lot to lug one's lf camera around, calc the right exposure and development, etc. It's a shame when a simple mechanical issue ruins a piece of film - from a place you may never get back to...

Lenny

Tori Nelson
10-Jul-2008, 09:59
Don't bother with the foot pump, "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" Seriously, it's very easy to remove without the pump. Place it on the floor with your feet on either side, holding the drum in place. Cup your hands so that your fingertips are resting on the underside of the top and lift up as though you're rocking the top side to side. Most of the time I have fingernails and can still do it easily without breaking them... or the drum.

Ron Marshall
10-Jul-2008, 10:06
I agree with everything else, but I think using the minimum volume is recipe for failure. If not this run, then the next. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so it's hard to stomach when people talk on these forums about the cheapest film, etc. I do my best to just say nothing. I used a Jobo for years and I always put the full amount of liquid in it that I could, regardless of how many sheets were in there... (a liter if I remember correctly). It takes a lot to lug one's lf camera around, calc the right exposure and development, etc. It's a shame when a simple mechanical issue ruins a piece of film - from a place you may never get back to...

Lenny

On the Jobo website the recommended chemistry volume for the 3006 is a minimum of 210ml and a maximum of 342ml.

So 300ml is close to the max not the min!

Eric Woodbury
10-Jul-2008, 10:44
With six sheet of 57, I run 1000cc of dev. I wouldn't use less than 600cc of anything.

To remove the lid I put a stopper in the top with a hose connected to the water supply. Let the water pressure blow it off. If you are worried about putting your eye out, then fill it with water first. If you want to pry it off with your fingers, then run very warm water of the lid to make the lid bigger, but this is still very difficult.

aduncanson
11-Jul-2008, 05:52
I splurged to buy a Jobo 3006 new and was not willing to pay the extra for the foot pump. When the drum came, I put on the lid and tried to pry it off again. I gave up and ordered the foot pump before I used the drum even once. Maybe after a lot of wear the lid becomes easy to pry off.

The Jobo recommended quantities are very low. If you use a dilute developer, it is quite possible to exceed the developer's capacity. I use something near the maximum recommended amount for all chemicals and have seen no problems.

jim kitchen
11-Jul-2008, 08:31
I find that if you do not use the foot pump you tend to bend a few finger nails along the way, and that hurts. :)

I now place the film processor's lid under gentle running hot water, where the hot water flows around the inverted tank lid's seam expanding the seam slightly, making the lid's removal an effortless event.

I use the foot pump on the larger 8X10 drum, because I tried to yank that lid off one day, and I nearly broke my back, let alone every finger on my two hands. I also realized that the continuous popping of the lid over time, while using the foot pump, seems to have an adverse effect upon the fill separator inside the lid, where the separator breaks from the internal pin supports, which seem to be the result from the shock of the popping event. I finally reattached the fill separator to the pin supports with a small amount of crazy glue.

A gentle hot water bath under the tap for a few seconds, before you remove the tank lid with or without the foot pump, makes life very easy with this drum, or any drum.

jim k

Don Hutton
11-Jul-2008, 08:48
On the Jobo website the recommended chemistry volume for the 3006 is a minimum of 210ml and a maximum of 342ml.

The min/max for that drum per Jobo's info is: 210mm and 1000mm - see http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products/3000.htm

Ron Marshall
11-Jul-2008, 09:37
The min/max for that drum per Jobo's info is: 210mm and 1000mm - see http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products/3000.htm

The values I quoted are here:

http://www.jobo.com/web/Expert-Drums.338.0.html

The point is, the minimum is 210ml. The Jobo tech to whom I spoke recommended 300ml as a min. Of course anyone is free to use more chemistry if they want, but it is definately not required.

pdeeee
13-Jul-2008, 21:50
thanks everyone, but some answers have me a bit confused, what is this roller base, are you saying that you need another piece of equipment? and the roller base is what exactly? is it a thing that the drum stands on, or lays on.. and does it rotate electricly? or by hand...I just assumed that you turned the drum by hand like you would a 35mm tank... heeelp?
paul

Ron Marshall
13-Jul-2008, 22:55
thanks everyone, but some answers have me a bit confused, what is this roller base, are you saying that you need another piece of equipment? and the roller base is what exactly? is it a thing that the drum stands on, or lays on.. and does it rotate electricly? or by hand...I just assumed that you turned the drum by hand like you would a 35mm tank... heeelp?
paul

The drum is rotated horizontally on its axis, which you can do by rolling it across a table, but Jobo makes a roller-base so you can do it in one place, and more consistently:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=jobo+roller+base&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Bjorn Nilsson
14-Jul-2008, 00:06
A roller base is exactly what's in the link that Ron posted. As I said before, you can make one of your own. Better yet is to get hold of a Beseler or Unicolor motorized roller base. Just put the drum on that base and flip the switch.
Now, it's important that you roll the drum in both directions, but once you get so far as to getting started, we'll help you from there. And a dry run before processing actual film is always good.

//Björn