PDA

View Full Version : Broncolor Mobil head compatibility

Henry Carter
8-Jul-2008, 06:41
I have greatly enjoyed using the Broncolor Mobil system since it was introduced. This is an outstanding tool for location lighting.

Broncolor recently introduced a new Mobil A2R power pack as well as a newer version Mobilite 2 head.

Can the original Mobilite heads be converted to Mobilite 2 heads, at least as far as having functioning 100w modeling lights if used with the new Mobilite A2R power pack? Would the Mobilite modeling light work with the new power pack simply by changing the modeling light bulb to 100w?

Has anyone seen or used the new Mobil A2R system?

Thanks for any help.

Michael T. Murphy
8-Jul-2008, 12:17
I agree, the Mobil are wonderful units!

I have already changed my modelling light to 100w using the existing Mobil. You can use 1 head at 100w, or 2 heads at 50w. So I upgraged my heads to 100 w long ago.

I couldn't find the Broncolor bulbs, just bought the correct wattage with the correct base from another source.

Also, FWIW, I have a number of the Visatec Litepac. Thjey are exactly the same as the Broncolor, except that they have a 600ws maximum (vs 1200 on the Mobil), and they use a proprietary connector instead of the Bron connector. Neither have been an issue to me.

As these are mostly self contained units the coneectors don't bother me. They also sell for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of the Mobil. Around $1,200 with 2 heads, where teh Mobil is aboput $1,800 used with 1 head.

These things spoiled me and I converted all of my studio lighting to Bron after getting addicted to the .1 stop digital controls on the Mobil. They are such a pleasure to use. Everything else (except maybe Profoto high end) seemed like a kludge in comparison. :p

Henry Carter
8-Jul-2008, 19:49
Thanks Michael!

Apparently the difference between the old and new Mobilite heads is that the Mobilite 2 has a 100w modeling light (hence change the bulb), and it is designed to recycle faster. Given that I shoot 4X5, recycling time is irrelevant. So maybe with a 100w modeling light bulb the old Mobilite head will work with the new Mobil A2R power pack, but with a longer recycling time than the new Mobilite 2.

I am waiting for a reply from Broncolor, and I will update this thread once I hear from them.

Henry Carter
9-Jul-2008, 15:23
Here is the reply from Broncolor:

"I'm sorry but it's not so simply to convert the Mobilite into a Mobilite 2 only by changing the modeling light.
If you use a 100W modeling light it could damage the lamp-head.
And it's also very complex to modify the Mobilite into a Mobilite 2 we wouldn't recommend a modification.

Best regards,

Assistant Service Manager

Bron Elektronik AG
Hagmattstrasse 7
CH-4123 Allschwil 1
Schweiz | Switzerland
www.bron.ch"