PDA

View Full Version : Cheap prints from 4x5 transparencies

Peter Shier
1-Feb-2001, 13:56
Can anyone recommend a lab that can do decent prints from 4x5 transparencies (Pr ovia, Astia) at reasonable rates? I am going to shoot some portraits at a family event and I would like both color and ready-load which as we know won't be out from Kodak or Fuji for a couple of months yet. I won't need any serious enlargem ents, probably nothing larger than 5x7.

Thanks, Peter Shier

Richard S. Ross
1-Feb-2001, 14:15
I have used A&I in Los Angeles for Type R prints from transparencies a few times and have been pleased with the results. I live locally, but I know that they do a lot of mail order business. They also deal with LF film all the time as they are one of the big pro labs here.

www.aandi.com

Guy Anderson
1-Feb-2001, 14:25
How about getting the image scanned and print from the scan? I use Miller's in Pittsburg, KS. They charge $7.50 for a 63 MB scan. I then modify it somewhat in Photoshop & send it to: http://www.fotoup.com/ Very convenient. 4x6's are $.29 each 5x7's are about $.79 8x10's are about $2.75 & 11x14's are $4.19

I just received by UPS overnight an order I placed from them (by internet) on Tuesday for 4 11x14's. Total bill is about $31.00 including about $16.00 for overnight delivery.

It is the 5th order I have placed with them & I am very pleased with the results. The prints are on Kodak Professional Paper. Not an inkjet paper but "real" photographic material.

Lester Moore
1-Feb-2001, 15:06
The Slideprinter in Denver, CO. They only work with transparencies and their quality is very consistent and high. All prints from 4X5 are considered custom. Prices are $16 each for 11X14 and $32 each for 16X20 (standard paper custom R print, matte or glossy). Fiji Supergloss is also available. Most of their business is done through the mail. Their phone number is (303) 698-2962.

Douglas P. Theall
1-Feb-2001, 19:54
You might want to consider buying one of the Epson photo scanners. I have the Perfection 1200U which scanns up to 4x5 negatives or slides. It scans at a true 1200 dpi. You can get the 1600U for more money if you need the extra dpi. They work well and may be a step in the digital direction you want to go. I also have an epson photo printer that works well with the scanner. Hope this will help you out. I like the idea of the Miller's printing. The cost seems very reasonable. Doug

Dave Anton
1-Feb-2001, 20:48
Peter, if you haven't taken the photos yet and are planning to print them, why not use neg film and skip out on the digital conversion?

Peter Shier
1-Feb-2001, 22:46
I would love to use print film but I won't have the time to reload film holders. I will have my camera and strobes set up in a corner of the room and people will be coming over to have their pictures done. I have to do a Polaroid and a "real" picture of each one. There will probably be 30-40 shots with little time in between so readyload is a must. Unfortunately there will be no one to assist or I would just reload the holders. I also doubt that all of the shots will be printed (probably 10-15). I spoke to SlidePrinter and they can do any size up to 8x10 for $10. Another option is to do the Polaroids 4x5 and do the prints in MF (would have to move the sync cord back and forth).

Scott Walton
2-Feb-2001, 09:46
Holland Photo does machine Cibachromes... very nice the last time I had them do work. www.hollandphoto.com out of Austin TX.