PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Roseburg, Oregon?

Ed Richards
5-Jul-2008, 16:14
I might have an opportunity spend some time in Roseburg, Oregon. Anyone from the area?

curtis roberts
5-Jul-2008, 18:36
I Live Hear Land of the Umqua

Scott Rosenberg
5-Jul-2008, 22:49
some doctor friends of mine say it's a bad place to get sick... that's about all i know of roseburg.

Turner Reich
6-Jul-2008, 00:16
It depends, how much time?

Scott Knowles
6-Jul-2008, 08:51
It's been a few decades since I had to stay there on field trips. It wasn't my favorite place then, but all said, the area is ok, a good highway to the coast, the North Umpqua River, Diamond and Crater Lakes over the Cascade Mountains, quick access to eastern Oregon, and so on. This time of year just watch out for poison ivy/oak, rattlesnakes, and some occasional wierd people in the rural areas and backcountry. Otherwise it's a stop on the Interstate for gas and lunch, and keep going. But that's only my take on the place. It may have changed since then...

Good luck.

Alan Davenport
6-Jul-2008, 08:59
I hear it's a great place to be from.

Brian Ellis
6-Jul-2008, 09:47
I've only driven through Roseburg but I didn't see anything in that short time that was compelling enough for me to hang around the town. But there's some nice things not too far away. Crater Lake is within a day trip from there. Or you could head over to the coast, start at Bandon and work your way down to Shore Acres and farther south from there if you have the time. My favorite part of the Oregon coast is Bandon south to Brookings. I particularly like Shore Acres with the cliffs, rock formations and tide pools created by the ocean surf banging up against the coast for thousands of years. Just depends on how long you have.

Kuzano
6-Jul-2008, 09:57
South of Roseburg is a Historical community called Jacksonville. West... Coast. Scenic Umpqua River. The highway to the coast follows the Umpqua as I remember and has some beautiful and quaint scenery. Crater lake is a couple of hours away to the East. The rim drive on Crater Lake is photo worthy.

Early history, gold mining country and timber. During the 70's you dared not walk in the woods surrounding the area. When logging and wood products went away, the largest cash crop in the area was WEED, and the forests were booby trapped heavily.

The downtown literally blew up in the late 50's when a large truck (fertilizer or fuel-not terrorist) literally destroyed 12 city blocks and shook houses for 9 miles (Urban renewal???). Happened in the middle of the night or the deaths would have been devastating for such a small town. I had an uncle living there, driving dump truck and he was quite busy for months.

Don't know about now, but not so far back.... Can You Spell REDNECK? (It's ok for me to say that because I R 1). More jacked up 4WD trucks and SUV's per capita than anywhere else in the U.S. Home to a high concentration of Survivalists... just close to Aryan Nation.

Nothing of real note in the area.... have to get away somewhat.

Don7x17
29-Jul-2008, 12:10
Jacksonville is actually near Medford, just to the west.

138 east from Roseburg to Crater Lake (north junction) has some exceptional waterfalls. Unfortunately, one of the best, Toketee Falls, was closed off when I went by there last weekend. Seems closed for a long time, by the weeds around the "road closed" sign leading to the waterfall viewpoint.

"colliding rivers" and Munson Falls were, as always, interesting.

Other than that, Roseberg is just a place to get gas along the highway if you missed it in Eugene heading south, or Ashland/Medford/Grants Pass heading north on I-5.

Don7x17
29-Jul-2008, 12:11
". During the 70's you dared not walk in the woods surrounding the area. When logging and wood products went away, the largest cash crop in the area was WEED, and the forests were booby trapped heavily."

what has changed? Its still this way, although Meth labs seem to be competing for business in this area.