PDA

View Full Version : Lightest 8x10 holders?

Ben Syverson
5-Jul-2008, 09:40
Hey all,

What are the lightest 8x10 holders out there? (I know, it's on a scale of "heavy" to "heavier." :rolleyes: )

John Kasaian
5-Jul-2008, 09:52
The black wooden ones marked "Graflex built for Eastman Kodak" are the lightest ones I own, but there could be lighter ones out there.

Walter Calahan
5-Jul-2008, 10:04
I wood less dense than plastic?

I've never weighed them, but I know my metal 8x10 holders are THE heaviest I own.

Probably there's a custom holder out there lighter than the plastic one's I use.

Frank Petronio
5-Jul-2008, 10:14
If they are still in good shape the old wooden ones are lighter than the modern plastic Fiedelitys and Liscos. I don't know about the modern Chinese wooden holders but I imagine they are denser wood and probably heavier.

15 yrs ago or so I think some crazy made 8x10 Mido holders that were just thin sleeves that fit into an adapter gizmo. But they are very scarce, $$$, and funky.

David A. Goldfarb
5-Jul-2008, 10:20
I'd agree that the wooden ones are lighter than plastic. I've considered making carbon fiber darkslides for them, which would lighten them up further (enough to make a meaningful difference with 5 or more holders).

Frank Bagbey
5-Jul-2008, 10:49
Try a Toyo 8x10 holder. I think it will be the lightest, but also the most expensive. If anyone actually weighs all of the options, they get my thanks. Frank

Ben Syverson
5-Jul-2008, 11:01
I have a wooden Kodak which clocks in at 539g and two wooden Liscos -- one is 593g, and the other is 587g

Anyone else have a kitchen scale? :)

Oren Grad
5-Jul-2008, 11:08
I just weighed a current metal-and-plastic Fidelity, with two sheets of film in it, on my postage scale. It came in at 23 oz., or about 656 g.

Ben Syverson
5-Jul-2008, 20:10
Thanks Oren! There's already a surprise as far as I'm concerned -- I thought the new Fidelitys would be lighter than the old Liscos...

Don Hutton
5-Jul-2008, 20:25
Try a Toyo 8x10 holder. I think it will be the lightest, but also the most expensive. If anyone actually weighs all of the options, they get my thanks. FrankNo chance - Toyos are about the heaviest of what's available - mine weigh 25oz. I have a set of Lotus holders which weigh 18 oz each and they're the lightest I've found.

Jan Pedersen
5-Jul-2008, 20:36
My scale stopped at 660g for one of the latest Fidelity's and 659g for the mapple Chamonix. It surpised me cause the Chamonix feels ligther. Colour maybe a deception here.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Jul-2008, 20:15
A while ago when I was on e-bay I happened to find some 8x10 Eastman Film #1 October 9, 1923 Folmer Graflex film holders. They are in like new condition. I got six of them for something like $45.00! I just weighted one of them. 17 oz!!! They seem to be fragile they are so light. They really look brand new and are light tight.

Jim

Don Hutton
6-Jul-2008, 20:37
A while ago when I was on e-bay I happened to find some 8x10 Eastman Film #1 October 9, 1923 Folmer Graflex film holders. They are in like new condition. I got six of them for something like $45.00! I just weighted one of them. 17 oz!!! They seem to be fragile they are so light. They really look brand new and are light tight.

JimI have an old Eastman - it is the lightest 8x10 holder I have ever found and weighs, like yours, 17oz... a whole lot more attractive than a bunch of new Lotus holders at around $516 on todays exchange rate!!

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Jul-2008, 21:21
Don, I agree. These holders are beautiful. The wood is like new and they are a joy to use. The way I see it the light weight is just a bonus!!

Jim