PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Holland

Swa
5-Jul-2008, 02:45
Hello everybody,

since I/m new to LF photography (and this forum) let me frist introduce myself: I'm Francois and a photofanatic for ages, done virtually everything exept....LF. So a few months ago I puchaced a second Sinar F2, WAUW.... you can do really great stuff with it.
Next month I'm off to Iceland, and that;s where the troubel begins:
-how to get my (bulky) camera and tripod overthere (shipping it of seperately, or simple regards as air luggage and see what happens..)
-anybody having recent experiences in Schiphol and Reyjavik related to x-raying of filmmaterial...??????

Hope to get some answers, and ofcource I will share my expercience one back from Iceland.

regards

Francois

John Kasaian
5-Jul-2008, 21:17
Welcome Francois!
What an adventure!
I took a 4x5 on a flight to Hawaii awhile back---I carried the camera, film, changing bag and holders in my carry on (they all fit into a day pack) and checked the tripod with my luggage.
Everything went alright.
Have a great trip!

Swa
6-Jul-2008, 00:32
Thanks John,

but I'm afraid I'll have to choose: on my Iceland trip I'm planning to taking with me:

-nikon D300 + 5 lenses
-hasselblad 553 ELX + lenses
-Sinar F2 + 2 lenses
-two tripods
-a number of unavoiable things like underwear and socks...

However: did get some good results from your Hawaii trip ? I'd like to go there myself ones.

regards

Francois

Turner Reich
6-Jul-2008, 02:48
A very warm welcome Francois.

Ralph Barker
6-Jul-2008, 07:04
Welcome to the forum, Francois, as well as the wonderful world of LF photography.

Swa
6-Jul-2008, 22:49
Thanx for the Welcome, hope to enjoy and maybe I can add some experiences soon.

cheers !

Francois

gary mulder
9-Jul-2008, 22:59
Welcome, wish you a inspirational trip on Iceland. Take enough film with you. If you have to make a choice between film or extra gear, take film ! A few results of my trip on

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hamses/ijsland/index.html

Degroto
10-Jul-2008, 00:43
Hoi Francois,

So you are new to LF photography as well? Maybe we can get together since you live in Maastricht as well. I take it you have a 4x5 camera?

Groet,

Peter

Swa
10-Jul-2008, 09:09
He Peter,

sorry, I do not live in Maastricht, both my parent were born there and I spend quite a lot of time in my youth in Maastricht (at present I do have about 50 family member living there)... so I do understand Mesteerchs (and when drunk, feel able to speak up in that beuatifull language)....... All the same, of course we can meet, I do visit Maastricht rather frequnetly.....

cheers

Francois

Hoi Francois,

So you are new to LF photography as well? Maybe we can get together since you live in Maastricht as well. I take it you have a 4x5 camera?

Groet,

Peter

Swa
10-Jul-2008, 09:11
He Gary,

inspiring, all these photo's were taken with a viewcamers ???

regards

Francois

Welcome, wish you a inspirational trip on Iceland. Take enough film with you. If you have to make a choice between film or extra gear, take film ! A few results of my trip on

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hamses/ijsland/index.html

gary mulder
10-Jul-2008, 13:24
The majority were made with a Linhof Technikakardan. I also took a point and shoot with me. Although this was a FF Canon the results are ok on the internet but side by side prints they lack the quality to match up with the results from the sheet film. But sometimes it's impossible because of windy conditions or rain to use the viewcamera for landscapes on Iceland, so the handheld camera comes in handy.