PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, new to the boards!

ViewIIguy
4-Jul-2008, 23:41
Hello everyone,

Well, I just purchased my very first large format camera! I got it off e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290240772739&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123)
and I'm very excited! I did have a question or two regarding the possibility of using this for tintype photographs. First, I'm not really sure if I can or not at all, and what type of holders I should use if I do? I'm ordering three extra holders (a total of 6) from the man, so I could easily designate on for such a task, but I'm not sure if wood holders are preferable at all for tintype, or if plastic are. I know it'll be awhile before I get in to it, but I thought I could go ahead and start looking for decent gear for it just in case it pops up.

I hope to be a helpful member to your site when I get all this figured out, and again I'm very excited to be apart of this group, and have an LF camera!

-Will

Vick Vickery
5-Jul-2008, 07:01
Will, the View II is a good camera that will do pretty much all you would want a view camera to do. It has ample movements and is well-made and sturdy, and has a grafloc back which makes using back accessories like roll film holders easy. It will work with any modern sheet film holder just fine.

Welcome to group therepy!

John Kasaian
5-Jul-2008, 07:33
Welcome!
The Graphic View II rocks! :)
Have you checked out www.graflex.org ?
I've never attempted tintypes so I can't offer any advice there.

Brian Ellis
5-Jul-2008, 08:10
Congratulations, looks like a great price for a very usable camera. But tintypes? Why? The main advantage of tintypes was low cost and ease of use (only by the standards of the time, it's a difficult process by today's standards since you'll be coating metal plates), which was good for novices who wanted to get into the photography business in the 19th century, plus the fact that they produced "instant" images (the Polaroids of the time). The images themselves aren't that interesting IMHO because of a limited tonal range.

However, to try to answer your question about holders, I'm not aware of anyone who sells pre-cut metal plates (not that I've ever searched) so presumably you'll be cutting your own and should be able to cut them to fit any standard 4x5 holder, wood, metal, or plastic.

rwyoung
5-Jul-2008, 08:13
good wet plate resources

www.collodion.com/forum
www.cwreenactors.com/phorum

ViewIIguy
5-Jul-2008, 10:23
First off, thanks for the warm welcome!

The reason I wanted to get in to doing at least a little tintype photography, was because of this website initially (http://www.robbkendrick.com/) where he showcases his own tintypes. In my opinion, they're honestly beautiful, and so much different than you get with regular film. I'm also a huge history buff, and I just love a lot of old things and old methods. Just the whole process in general, the time it takes and the effort to get a good print out of it is very interesting.

I'm currently hopeing to get an old Bausch and Lomb lens off ebay from the 1890-early 1900s that I think would be perfect to complete the whole deal, as well.

There's my reasoning for it, hope it's not toooo silly :D

Thanks again!
Will

Glenn Thoreson
5-Jul-2008, 12:31
Rockaloid sells a tintype kit. I don't know if they sell just the plates, or what sizes. I believe their kits are made for coating with Liquid Light. You might inquire at Bostick & Sullivan, also. Tintypes do have a different look, which I also like. Good luck to you, and please show us some of your pictures. :D

ViewIIguy
5-Jul-2008, 12:43
Rockaloid sells a tintype kit. I don't know if they sell just the plates, or what sizes. I believe their kits are made for coating with Liquid Light. You might inquire at Bostick & Sullivan, also. Tintypes do have a different look, which I also like. Good luck to you, and please show us some of your pictures. :D

Thank you very much for the link! That's just what I was looking for, I'll have to order that soon and I will certainly show you how it looks! I wonder if it tells you what speed it would need to be shot at? I'm very excited to give it a whirl and hope to get some decent shots.

-Will

Glenn Thoreson
7-Jul-2008, 17:26
The kit should come with complete instructions. Have fun! :D