PDA

View Full Version : Another Velostigmat

wfwhitaker
4-Jul-2008, 18:37
I have a Wollensak Velostigmat which appears newer than others I've seen, but I can't find anything about it at the usual sources. This one is simply marked "Velostigmat". There is not a series number. The focal length is marked 9 1/2 inches. It is an f/4.5. It's mounted in a Betax 3 shutter. f/4.5 is the widest aperture opening as well as being marked on the front barrel. This lens is coated. There is another marking on the barrel which is what looks like a "W" within a "C". I've had this lens for several years, but still haven't managed to use it. It's in beautiful condition and would pass as new if it weren't for the fact that lenses in Betax shutters haven't been made for quite a while. I'd like to know what vintage it is and what sort of performance I might expect from it. Of course, I know the answer to the last question is go out and try it. I plan to do that. But I'd still like to know where it falls into the Velostigmat lineup.

Thanks,
Will

RJ-
4-Jul-2008, 18:58
Hi Will,

Being more of an aesthetician than a technician, I find myself unable to answer any of your questions.

Guessing a little, I avail of a similar Velostigmat f4.5 8 1/4 inch (uncoated however) in the identical shutter as yours. Is this possibly the same series made in a range of focal lengths from 6 1/4" upwards?

You'll be pleased to know that your lens will cover whole plate format admirably along with at least 30mm of shift and possibly 10 degrees of rear swing. At 2 1/2 to 3 stops below the maximum aperture, the lens demonstrates corner to corner plate sharpness. It has an unusual soft low contrast rendition as seen in the image below. This isn't a feature of the film nor development (FP4+ in high acutance FX39 developer).

Unfortunately the software seems to have compressed the detail of the image.

Kind regards,

RJ

http://wholeplate.googlegroups.com/web/LH3.jpg?gda=b6I3JDgAAACkNvVH93hLp_heWb52MA52Mx06gkWf3ey2StqeEJSnJWG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDS7M6fXEISkyQTo8eXeyw4b&hl=en

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/wholeplate

Darren Kruger
4-Jul-2008, 19:23
This one is simply marked "Velostigmat". There is not a series number. The focal length is marked 9 1/2 inches. It is an f/4.5. It's mounted in a Betax 3 shutter. f/4.5 is the widest aperture opening as well as being marked on the front barrel.

I only know of the Series II that opens up to f/4.5. I have two versions of the 9.5", one with diffusion ring and another without. The two I have are both in Betax #4 shutters. Are you sure your shutter is a Betax #3? At 9.5" and f/4.5, the iris would need to open up to around 54mm. The Betax #3 I have has front threads of around 44mm.

This lens is coated. There is another marking on the barrel which is what looks like a "W" within a "C".

That means the lens is Wocoted (Wollensak's coating process)

-Darren

wfwhitaker
4-Jul-2008, 19:44
Thanks for both responses. Darren, good call- and I stand corrected. It is a Betax 4. The clear aperture of the lens is 2 1/16".

Does anybody know when Wollensak started marketing lenses with the "Wocoting" process? Or when they stopped?

Jim Galli
4-Jul-2008, 23:37
I would guess it as an early post WWII product. I don't know how long the Betax lasted beyond WWII. Until old stocks were used up? The later things in the '50's are usually found in Alphax shutters. It was likely made months before they changed to chrome barrel and the names got updated to Raptar. Many US manufacturers had some weird combinations as production geared up again post war. That was certainly the case with Lionel Trains, another (previous) bad habit of mine. Right after the war they cobbled together pre-war stuff into non cataloged sets just to have something to give the public when the post war demand hit. That's just a guess, but a viable one I'd bet.

Ah, and as to performance, I've always considered these a Buick straight eight of a lens. Not very exciting but solid and smooth.

Mark Sawyer
5-Jul-2008, 00:26
Pretty much what Jim said. I have a coated 12" f/4.5 Velostigmat (no diffusion control) in a Betax #5. Wollensak coated a few right after WWII, just before updating the name and cosmetics from Velostigmat Series II to Raptar Series II. Both were f/4.5 Tessars. The Betax, Rapax, and Alphax shutters overlapped for a few years after the war, the Betax being used for the longer lenses (8 1/4" up).

Toyon
5-Jul-2008, 15:14
There are a couple of possibilities for your lens. Wollensak made some sample lenses that didn't have series marks. Secondly, Wollensak occasionally produced Velostigmat process lenses that are unmarked. It should produce excellent results regardless.