PDA

View Full Version : Mentor reflex 9x12

Miguel Coquis
3-Jul-2008, 11:21
I am looking for detailed information for this camera. It seems to be old/new camera. The owner only used twice. It is without lens. What I would like to know is about film holders, if it is possible to use international 4x5" or does the camera back needs to be modify. The only element of information I have is this pic.
So I will be glad if you can give a look, and if you recognize the camera, give some information about it.
Many thanks,
Miguel

Glenn Thoreson
3-Jul-2008, 11:49
That camera has a long history. Made by Golz and Breutmann, in Berlin and later in Dresden, from 1898 to 1960. It originally would have been equipped with a Tessar, Heliar or Xenar f/4.5 lens, probably 135mm. If the focal plane shutter is working, you can us all sorts of barrel lenses. Within the range of bellows draw, anyway. Personally, I would not modify that camera. Ten years ago, McKeown's lists this camera's value at 350 to 450 U.S. dollars. 9X12cm black and white film should be readily obtainable in your area, and possibly a couple of color films. Here in the U.S. we can get B&W from Freestyle Sales and digitaltruth.com. You could always trim 4X5 film to 9X12. It's not that difficult. Enjoy!

bbjorkum
3-Jul-2008, 13:02
Lucky you! It's not for sale, I take?

Jiri Vasina
3-Jul-2008, 13:11
Glenn, I think it depends on Miguel's having also the original holders. 9x12cm is readily available, but I'd think it uses old holders which are not compatible with modern ones by their outside dimension.

Anyway, Miguel, if it would be for sale, I might be interested...

Miguel Coquis
3-Jul-2008, 13:30
Thanks dear colleagues for your interest. Before I can think in selling I will like to learn more about this camera. I know there are two original film holders 9x12. If there is a site or other were I can see pictures and have detailed technical data, I will really appreciate.
What is the value of camera like this ?
Thanks again.
PS: Glenn, Jiri I will keep you in mind if I sell.

Miguel Coquis
3-Jul-2008, 13:33
Bjarte, I will not forget to tell you if the camera is for sale.
You can make an offer via PM !

william linne
3-Jul-2008, 17:06
I used to own one of these. It's nice because there are geared front swing and tilt. The bad thing about these cameras is that the shutter is super super finicky. I had mine rebuilt by Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain. I had SK Grimes put a 4x5 Graflok back on it. There was still vignetting since it's a 9x12 camera, but it was great to use all modern emulsions with the camera. It came with a decent 210mm Tessar and I used Heliars and brass lenses on it. It's probably one of two or three cameras that I really regret selling.

W.

Miguel Coquis
12-Jul-2008, 15:45
[QUOTE=william linne;365488]I used to own one of these. It's nice because there are geared front swing and tilt. The bad thing about these cameras is that the shutter is super super finicky. I had mine rebuilt by Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain. I had SK Grimes put a 4x5 Graflok back on it. There was still vignetting since it's a 9x12 camera, but it was great to use all modern emulsions with the camera. It came with a decent 210mm Tessar and I used Heliars and brass lenses on it. It's probably one of two or three cameras that I really regret selling.
William thanks for your comments, I agreed with you. It is a very sweet/heavy camera. Really nice to have swings and tilts !!!