PDA

View Full Version : Paging Jim Galli - question about B&L 12" EF lens

nelsonfotodotcom
2-Jul-2008, 19:33
Jim - There's an antiques store within reach that has had an old LA Public Schools projector sitting around for many moons. I was in there again this afternoon, returning from a hike with a female friend. I've no real interest in the projector, though it appears to be in working condition. The lens, however, has me curious.

The lens is a B&L 12" EF. It has a nice splash of fungus right dead center in the front element, by appearances, but looks like it should still be usable. The price? Won't be able to separate it from the projector, and the guy wants $95 for it. I couldn't afford to pick it up at any price just this moment, but am betting it will be there, still, when I am again able to dabble a bit.

What would you have to say about this lens? Would the $95 be pissing money away? I feel the price is too high by $50 or more for just the lens. Doubt I'd be able to sell the projector without it, and doubt the sum of parts is worth $95. And lastly, I'd be using the lens on a 4x5--perhaps a waste to use such a lens on 4x5?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Jim Fitzgerald
2-Jul-2008, 22:58
Craig, I'm not Jim Galli but have had some luck with old B&L lenses. You may be able to take care of the fungus problem. I've gotten some old lenses, most recent a 13" Darlot for $90.00 that looked terrible. The glass cleaned up like new! I think this would be a Petzval design and in my opinion worth the chance. Maybe you could sell the projector? You never know. Does it look anything like this lens? This is a B&L 15" Magic Lantern Petzval lens. Boy is it sweet!

Jim

nelsonfotodotcom
2-Jul-2008, 23:00
More or less, yes. Except, the focus is accomplished via bellows, like a view-camera. The lens is in barrel, and slides right out without problem.

Thanks for replying.

C.

Jim Fitzgerald
2-Jul-2008, 23:07
My lens' focus is with the bellows also. Does the lens have the flange? If it does not you will just have to get creative mounting it on a board. It won't be a waste on the 4x5 and you will have a nice lens to use when you move to 8x10!!

Jim

Maretzo
2-Jul-2008, 23:44
Craig, I'm not Jim Galli but have had some luck with old B&L lenses. You may be able to take care of the fungus problem. I've gotten some old lenses, most recent a 13" Darlot for $90.00 that looked terrible. The glass cleaned up like new!
Jim

How did you clean the fungus? I have some lens that need cleaning. I could take care of the outside with ammonia and H-peroxyde, but I does not dare to open the barrel.

Daniel_Buck
3-Jul-2008, 00:11
while we're on the topic, how about the B&L 7" f3.5 projection lens found on the model 755 projectors? I've found one for very cheap, worth picking up for 4x5?

Jim Galli
3-Jul-2008, 06:40
Sorry I missed my page :)

If it's the all black painted with chrome sliding parts one without the lens shade it's a triplet and while a very competent lens for portraits on 4X5, not really worth the asking. You're right that the rest of the machine goes in the dumpster so there's no recouping any of the cost there.

If it is the earlier machine with all brass lens with chrome sliding parts and a lens shade wider than the lens body it is a fine Petzval type and probably worth the $90 bucks.

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Jul-2008, 07:13
How did you clean the fungus? I have some lens that need cleaning. I could take care of the outside with ammonia and H-peroxyde, but I does not dare to open the barrel.

If you can get to the lenses set them in the sun for a day or two and that might help. You could try vinegar and water and that might do it also. Check the forum for other posts on this. I'm sure there are some more tricks to use.

Jim

nelsonfotodotcom
3-Jul-2008, 07:54
Jim - this one has a black ring, but the barrel is brass. I'll make another run, when I can, to have a closer look. If it's right, I'll probably grab in later in the fall. Thanks for replying, and I will keep eyes wide for other samples.

Best,
Craig

Sorry I missed my page :)

If it's the all black painted with chrome sliding parts one without the lens shade it's a triplet and while a very competent lens for portraits on 4X5, not really worth the asking. You're right that the rest of the machine goes in the dumpster so there's no recouping any of the cost there.

If it is the earlier machine with all brass lens with chrome sliding parts and a lens shade wider than the lens body it is a fine Petzval type and probably worth the $90 bucks.

Jim Galli
3-Jul-2008, 08:19
Jim - this one has a black ring, but the barrel is brass. I'll make another run, when I can, to have a closer look. If it's right, I'll probably grab in later in the fall. Thanks for replying, and I will keep eyes wide for other samples.

Best,
Craig

The Petzval's have a black ring at each end of the chrome 'barrel' like the one in Jim's pictures. Some were painted all black but have the black ring at both ends. The triplets only have the threaded black ring at one end. Hope that helps.

nelsonfotodotcom
3-Jul-2008, 08:24
Ah, in that case, I believe this one might be a triplet.

I tried to find an example of the projector on-line, but could not. Apparently, it was an LA Public Schools projector at one time. How the hell it got to Nowhere Arkansas, I've not a clue.

I'm out that way often enough. Will grab a cellphone pic next visit and check back on this thread.

For the time being, I've nothing to use such a lens. Just sold the cache of Graphic View IIs I had on hand, and will continue looking for the perfect 4x5 for me to use....something between a Nagoaka and the GVII....portable, but strong, with decent movements.

Thanks again.

C.

goamules
3-Jul-2008, 08:52
You helped me too, Jim. I have a black, BL lens that I thought was a petzval, as it had two in the rear, and one in front that appeared cemented. Now I'm pretty sure I was mistaken, the two air-spaced were pretty far apart, perhaps a half inch, not "nested" almost touching as usual. You also indicated the BLs petzvals had the long chrome tube, with black line (lens assemblies) on each end, which this one doesn't.

Finally, I always thought this brass one was a BL, because of the focus knob design. But it has the front lens in the shade assembly. So it may be some other make. Note the focal length engraved in the barrel, then some later owner intelligently engraving the same thing on the shade! Gotta love it.

nelsonfotodotcom
3-Jul-2008, 11:51
Lens on the left looks sorta like the one I found.

Jim Galli
3-Jul-2008, 12:19
Lens on the left looks sorta like the one I found.

There were a lot more of those than the petzval type. They were cheaper to make. Nothing against them either, I've done some lovely portraits with one but not worth $90. Perhaps $40. The poor man's Cooke :D

nelsonfotodotcom
3-Jul-2008, 13:31
Thanks again, Jim!

:)

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Jul-2008, 20:15
You helped me too, Jim. I have a black, BL lens that I thought was a petzval, as it had two in the rear, and one in front that appeared cemented. Now I'm pretty sure I was mistaken, the two air-spaced were pretty far apart, perhaps a half inch, not "nested" almost touching as usual. You also indicated the BLs petzvals had the long chrome tube, with black line (lens assemblies) on each end, which this one doesn't.

Finally, I always thought this brass one was a BL, because of the focus knob design. But it has the front lens in the shade assembly. So it may be some other make. Note the focal length engraved in the barrel, then some later owner intelligently engraving the same thing on the shade! Gotta love it.

I have the same lens that you show on the right. Mine has 12" Equi on it. Covers 8x10. Does your 18" cover more? Front lens is in the lens shade. A very nice lens with some good OFA's I still need to use it more to tell what it can do.

Jim

goamules
3-Jul-2008, 20:19
I have the same lens that you show on the right...

I only have tried it on 8x10, the largest format I have, but I bet it would cover more, if yours handles 8x10 fine. I have only shot with it once, need to again.

Garrett

Jim Noel
8-Jul-2008, 07:58
If lens elements can be separated, and are not coated, Listerine does a wonderful job killing fungus! I have never tried it ona coated lens so I don't know what effect it would have on the coating. Also, of course, if tehlens is etched by the fungus, killing it will not restore the lens.