PDA

View Full Version : 150mm Xenotar - radioactive?

Carioca
2-Jul-2008, 14:29
I have found this lens on ebay (still on auction 270250778558), a 150mm Schneider Xenotar 2.8
Regardless of the minor orthographic mistakes in it's description, is it really a 'hot' lens?
I know this lens well, but it's the first time I hear about it having radioactive lens elements...
(Like the Aero Ektars or Apo-Lanthars)
Is this true?

Sidney

Bill_1856
2-Jul-2008, 14:42
Yes - barely. Just don't sleep with it between your thighs.

Michael S. Briggs
2-Jul-2008, 14:49
Some Xenotars are radioactive from thorium glass, others are not. It seems early ones have the thorium glass.

Enrico Faini
2-Jul-2008, 15:51
I would be curious to see what happens if you try to take it along with you on a flight in your carry-on luggage :D

Steve_Renwick
2-Jul-2008, 15:55
I would be curious to see what happens if you try to take it along with you on a flight in your carry-on luggage :D

Nothing. The X-ray machine couldn't possibly see it, and so far as I know there are no radiation detectors in use.

Robert A. Zeichner
2-Jul-2008, 16:41
Nothing. The X-ray machine couldn't possibly see it, and so far as I know there are no radiation detectors in use.

Normal usage should not pose a danger. If you had a collection of "hot" lenses, it would perhaps not be a good idea to store them under your bed. I heard of someone who conducted a test by placing one of these on a sheet of unexposed film (in darkness of course) and then developing. I'm not certain of the exposure time, but I recall it was quite long.

Glenn Thoreson
2-Jul-2008, 18:25
Originally designed for military use, some early ones may have had some Thorium in the glass. If you would send the lens to me, I would be happy to properly dispose of it for you. :D :D
( Buy it, it's nothing to worry about. )

Robbie Shymanski
2-Jul-2008, 18:39
I would only worry if you use it photograph granite or glazed Mexican terra cotta. Then you will never have babies. Delicious babies...