PDA

View Full Version : Think Tank Packs - any users?

Paul O
2-Jul-2008, 00:22
Hi just wondered if anyone is using the Think Tank range of packs/bags - I'm thinking of the carry-on models for packing LF camera and lenses for flights. Any opinions appreciated :)

Matus Kalisky
2-Jul-2008, 00:30
Yes - there is at least one user among us - Frank Petronio - who got the smallest one (Antidote ?) some months ago and he even promissed to report on it later - so Frank - we are curios? Is it worth the money?

Frank Petronio
2-Jul-2008, 05:13
Oh yes, it is very well made and their smallest "airport" backpack is very nice for travel and shooting out of, provided you can fit everything you need in a fairly small pack. The best part is the stretch pocket for the laptop in the front panel -- it allows you to stash items quickly when you are juggling holders and meters, etc. during a shoot.

They are better quality than Lowe Pro, etc. and they have a lot of extras plus a very thoughtful design.

Eric James
2-Jul-2008, 07:21
I ordered a small pack directly from them. It arrived quickly but was defective - a piece of foam had been sewn into place with an inadvertant fold - this caused the associated zipper to jam >50% of the time. Okay, not a big deal - manufacturing mistakes happen. The real problem arose when I tried to get it replaced - hoops and hurdled had to be cleared to rectify their screw up.

I would recommend that you buy from one of their dealers - that way you won't reward them with the wholesale AND retail margin, and if things go wrong you can return it directly to the dealer, rather than be subjected to Think Tank return hassles.

Andrew_4548
2-Jul-2008, 08:31
We've got two at home an Urban Disguise 60 which I use for my DSLR (great as it allows L-series lenses to be put in with shades attached - no other bag I looked at did that. It's very well made and comfortable with either a shoulder strap or the backpack attachment. It's strong and the fittings are metal rather than plastic so strong and no creaking as you walk.) It's as they say on the site - gear for Pros designed by Pros (even though I'm not a Pro :) )

The other one is the Airport Acceleration and that's good as well - plenty of room for a 5x4 system and gear. It has straps to allow it to be worn like a backpack. My Dad found the only niggle was the lengths of the dividers included didn't lend themselves to easily compartmentalising it for an LF system but he's got round that with odds and sods we had lying around home. It's deep enough to put a pro-spec DSLR in if needed with vertical grip.

cowanw
2-Jul-2008, 11:05
I have used the Airport Addicted for trips to Kenya and Jordan. and it is the best bag I have. No complaints.
Regards
Bill

Brian K
2-Jul-2008, 13:23
I have the airport addicted and airport acceleration, they are really great packs except for one really annoying nit, the dividers separate from the sides far too easily. The velcro is not strong enough or is insufficient and if your bag has any real weight in it when you pick it up you hear all the velcro releasing and your stuff sliding around.

Frank Petronio
2-Jul-2008, 13:43
I don't use the dividers myself, I usually just wrap and bag things as it allows you to carry more stuff.

In fact I don't use the rain cover, the tripod gadget, the waist belt or the dividers, which are probably more than 50% of the cost of the bag ;-p

butterfly
4-Jul-2008, 02:49
I've had an Airport addicted Thinktank bag for the last year or so. I can only say great things about it. I've taken it as carry-on luggage to USA and Iceland, packed with complete DSLR and 4x5 outfits, it swallow the lot. it just fits in the overhead plane compartments.

For such a large bag, when using it as a backpack, it is very comfortable.

Build quality is second to none. It protects the gear and can be customised to fit any equipment.

It has many nice touches like an external pocket for passports and stuff.

It is one of those things you buy and stop worrying about. It does the job very well.

Regards

Steve

butterfly
4-Jul-2008, 02:50
Oh, and I've never had any problems with velcro dividers moving, so I found the earlier comment a bit suprising.