PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Master 8X10 lens boards ?

W K Longcor
1-Jul-2008, 13:46
For years, I photographed with the "good" modern lenses --- and decorated my office with the old brass barreled "clunkers". Now, I'm learning from you guys how great these old lenses can be. I've got an appropriate sized packard shutter - and enough of the old lenses to keep me playing for months. I also have a nice iris lens "clamp" , so I can change the lenses easily. What I don't have is a spare lens board for the Kodak Master 8x10 ( my favorite LF "traveling" camera). These boards seem to be scarce - hard to come by -- EXPENSIVE ( when you do find them).

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? Like, does another, more readily available board work? Does someone make a new board ( not costing big $$) that fits?

I now have three lens boards - all in use. Two have big, Ilex shutters ( two different sizes) with top notch commercial lenses in them. The third board, I chopped up years ago. I made a very nice adaptor board - to use lenses from my Kodak Master 4x5 on the 8x10. :cool:

Geary Lyons
1-Jul-2008, 14:06
Try Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange,http://mpex.com or Michael Smith http://www.michaelandpaula.com. Both had new boards made and for sale. Very nice boards!

Cheers,
Geary

Peter Lewitt
1-Jul-2008, 14:28
SK Grimes makes modern replacements

http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm

http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/6_17/index.htm

They do great work.

Peter

Michael Jones
2-Jul-2008, 08:18
[QUOTE=W K Longcor;364723]

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? Like, does another, more readily available board work? Does someone make a new board ( not costing big $$) that fits?
QUOTE]

Michael Smith makes Master boards:
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Azo_Main.html

My experience is that the boards I have from Jim @ MPEX are almost as good as the ones from Michael. The fit is a bit too tight for my taste. Michael's boards seem to fit exactly, but they do cost about $20 more. On the other hand, Jim may have some that are already bored.

If you have three lens or more and need boards, its more cost effective to get an adapter board based upon an original Master board. I have one from Richard Ritter that uses technika boards. Since it is based on a Master board, it fits perfectly. Richard also reinforced the board so it can solidly hold any lens the front standard can hold (such as a 355 Symmar). It cost about $200 plus the board. But with technika boards costing $15 and up (call Jim @ MPEX), this saves money in the long run. Another benefit is the stored lenses take up less space.

Your big Ilex shutter are different story, I have mine mounted in Michael's boards except for one in an SK Grimes modified Master board. I think you are stuck with Master size boards for a #5, although a #4 Ilex should fit in a centered technika board if you go that route. If you decide to go that route and need a Master board for the base, email me; I may have one that would work for an adapter. Good luck.

Mike

W K Longcor
2-Jul-2008, 08:58
Thanks for all the info. I'll be checking out all these sources. As I said in my first post, I have made myself a really nice adaptor board from a Master board and the front from an old press camera. With this adaptor, I can mount any lens in a standard 4 inch square board ( my old Kodak Master 4x5 - ancestor to the Calumet). I need two more 8x10 master boards -- one for an iris lens clamp devise ( to try out my many old brass barrel portrait lenses) and a second to mount a huge Compound Shutter that is host to a wonderful Imogon portrait lens.

Mark Sawyer
2-Jul-2008, 10:07
I need two more 8x10 master boards -- one for an iris lens clamp devise ( to try out my many old brass barrel portrait lenses) and a second to mount a huge Compound Shutter that is host to a wonderful Imogon portrait lens.

Oh, for old brass lenses and an Imagon! Well, why didn't you say so? I have an original metal KMV board with a 2 3/8" hole. $55, includes shipping? If you'll give me a couple of days, I'll hunt around and see if I can find a second, but I'm not sure...

I converted my KMV to take standard 6" boards so I can use them on either the KMV or 2d. Not a hard conversion, and highly recommended. Suddenly, lensboards are no longer an issue...

W K Longcor
2-Jul-2008, 11:11
Mark -- you converted your Master to take standard 6" boards??? NOW you have my attention. Many of the old lenses I have are already mounted on 6" boards. Would it be possible for you to tell me HOW? Bill :eek:

Kerik Kouklis
2-Jul-2008, 20:43
All you need is flat 1/16" thick aluminum to make a MV board. Then, get yourself some sticky velcro, use the fuzzy side and trim it to about the width of the channel in the MV front standard. Attach it to the back of the board so it coincides with the channel and you're done! I've made MANY boards for my MV this way. Works great.

Mark Sawyer
2-Jul-2008, 22:57
Mark -- you converted your Master to take standard 6" boards??? NOW you have my attention. Many of the old lenses I have are already mounted on 6" boards. Would it be possible for you to tell me HOW? Bill :eek:

Sounds like Kerik's method may be a simpler solution, but if you want to use standard board, here are some images of my modified KMV. I can't remember the whole process, as I did it a few years ago, but it wasn't difficult, an afternoon project. The adapter just bolts on the front with four small machine screws/nuts, through existing holes. There's extra room in the front standard where the adapter goes; it's almost as if the camera was made to be modified. Start playing with yours and it becomes pretty obvious what to do...

Mark Sawyer
2-Jul-2008, 23:00
One more of the rear. (The last image in the last post is also from the rear.) BTW, the modification has no effect on using the movements, and I've never had a light leak, (it has the conventional light-trap design).

W K Longcor
3-Jul-2008, 04:55
Kerik and Mark -- Many, many thanks to both of you! I'm going to have some fun on the 4th of July -- playing with the camera! Bill

tenderobject
18-Apr-2013, 19:08
sorry to bump this very old thread. anyone can share the dimension of KMV 8x10 lensboard? Does anyone behides michael or skgrimes do KMV lensboards? my budget is a bit over stretched right now so i'm looking for affordable alternative.

thanks! :)