PDA

View Full Version : The War On Photography

Steve Hamley
30-Jun-2008, 15:42
Here's a link to Bruce Schneier's June Cryptogram (security) newsletter. Excellent article on photographic paranoia, it's the first article. Posted at APUG also.

http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0806.html

Cheers,

Steve

Brian Ellis
1-Jul-2008, 17:23
"arrested or worse?" What's worse than arrested, executed?

I really feel left out and kind of hurt. I'm beginning to think I just don't look like a photographer because in all the photographs I've taken in, on, and around bridges, courthouses, railroad stations, and the like - even one air force base - I've never been stopped, hassled, questioned, bothered, arrested, or worse. Not once. Nada. I just walk around making my photographs and no security type ever says a word.

Is there some way I could look more like a photographer so that I too could be victimized by this war in which everyone except me is apparently participating? Would I improve my chances of being hassled, arrested, or worse if I wore one of those jackets with 28 pockets that some photographers wear? Or what if I bought a bunch of 35mm lens cases and draped them from every available belt loop and button? Would that help me get hassled or hopefully even arrested or worse? Or is it possible that this so-called "war on photographers" that Schneier talks about is being vastly exaggerated, considering the millions of people who make photographs every day without any problems, and that in fact the "war on photographers" is really just good fodder for the media or a figment of some over-active paranoia?

Frank Petronio
1-Jul-2008, 17:28
It's just like all our friends who been "disappeared" off to Gitmo or worse.... it's a police state I tell you.

Daniel_Buck
1-Jul-2008, 17:54

I really feel left out and kind of hurt. I'm beginning to think I just don't look like a photographer because in all the photographs I've taken in, on, and around bridges, courthouses, railroad stations, and the like - even one air force base - I've never been stopped, hassled, questioned, bothered, arrested, or worse. Not once. Nada. I just walk around making my photographs and no security type ever says a word.

Is there some way I could look more like a photographer so that I too could be victimized by this war in which everyone except me is apparently participating? Would I improve my chances of being hassled, arrested, or worse if I wore one of those jackets with 28 pockets that some photographers wear? Or what if I bought a bunch of 35mm lens cases and draped them from every available belt loop and button? Would that help me get hassled or hopefully even arrested or worse? Or is it possible that this so-called "war on photographers" that Schneier talks about is being vastly exaggerated, considering the millions of people who make photographs every day without any problems, and that in fact the "war on photographers" is really just good fodder for the media or a figment of some over-active paranoia?

Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened to other people :) I bet alot of times it's purely circumstantial and doesn't happen every time. I've never been in any trouble either, but when I AM confronted, I'm very nice about it. Some photographers are very 'in your face' and 'matter of fact' with people, and seem to instigate alot of their problems themself! (based on some of the photographers I know) and that probably attracts more negative attention. Could also be the locations they choose, or maybe bad timing (something that may be impossible to predict!)

As far as "or worse", I would consider being beat-up and having all my equipment stolen or smashed worse than getting arrested. Though I don't know anyone personally that has happen to though.

Luckly though, I like shooting things that are out of the way, and not near alot of people. :)

windpointphoto
1-Jul-2008, 18:18

No kidding. A few years ago on the way to White Sands, Craig Roberts and I detoured and drove the couple of miles to the Trinity site gate. The guard came out and asked what two chubby middle aged guys wanted, I told him I wanted a piture of me by the No Trespass sign. He said fine, just don't jump the fence or the snipers would shoot us, and left us alone.

mrladewig
2-Jul-2008, 07:31
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_9725077

"Suspicious activity" is broadly defined in TLO training as behavior that could lead to terrorism: taking photos of no apparent aesthetic value, making measurements or notes

Does that sound familiar to a group of LF photographers?

This was also discussed on the last broadcast of Democracy Now.

Just keep telling yourself that there is no threat from our government. All your problems will go away as soon as the President declares himself executive leader for life. I have friends who have been directly affected by some of these types of policies though I don't know anyone affected by this particular policy. The cases of people who have wrongfully had their phone lines tapped or their laptops detained by DHS are growing. So have cases of people who are unable to fly because a list contains a name similar to theirs. Who are these people? Reporters who are relied upon in a democracy to keep the government in check and upper class people who have immigrated from countries in South Asia.

You are allowing your fears to have profoundly negative impact on our citizens, our friends and neighbors.

Just be glad you aren't a photographer who looks "different".