PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 back for a 7x17 camera ?

Daniel Grenier
30-Jun-2008, 10:00
Hi all.

I am thinking of selling my 8x10 and replacing it with a "reducing" back for my 7x17 Wisner. Is anyone using such a thing? If so, where can I get one ?

Cheers

Dave Wooten
30-Jun-2008, 10:32
5 x 7 back is a more efficient conversion, I use one on my 7 x 17 Wisner, it can be moved vertically and horizontally. 8 x 10 on 8 x 20 would work well.

John Bowen
2-Jul-2008, 10:25
Richard Ritter could custom make you an 8x10 back for your 7x17 camera

Dave Wooten
2-Jul-2008, 10:46
Richard Ritter could custom make you an 8x10 back for your 7x17 camera

Wouldn t that entail a new bellows and much more?

SAShruby
2-Jul-2008, 10:50
Well, I suggest considering weight and size of the beast as well, especially for any hiking. I have 8x20 and I can tell you that it takes a lot of energy to carry it all the time with me.

John Bowen
2-Jul-2008, 12:51
Wouldn t that entail a new bellows and much more?

Perhaps, but I would suggest the OP call Richard and find out.

RichardRitter
2-Jul-2008, 13:01
It would take a lot of work and I would have to have the camera for about 4 months. Its a Wisner no two are alike. You would need half a camera a new rear rail, box, back and bellows.

If it were me I would buy a light weight 8 x 10 and use the beast for 7 x 17 shots only. At the end of the day you would be allot happier carrying around 6 pounds verses 19 pounds to photograph in an 8 x 10 format.

Geert
2-Jul-2008, 14:36
Daniel,

I would not encourage anyone to to that, except for cutting on the costs but I thinks bellows and back are more than half the cost of a camera. Richard Ritters advice is a very good one: keep 2 seperate cameras.

I built my 8x10 and 7x17 cameras on the same bed.
There's some more hassle because you just can't pick up another camera when you want to change formats.

I find myself preparing for a shoot with one of the formats and never take the other back & bellows along.

Suggesting a 5x7 back is another league: if you only make contact prints, the size is quite different.

G

John Bartley
2-Jul-2008, 14:59
Hi all.

I am thinking of selling my 8x10 and replacing it with a "reducing" back for my 7x17 Wisner. Is anyone using such a thing? If so, where can I get one ?

Cheers

Daniel,

I've never seen a Wisner so I have to ask...is the 7x17 back removable in the "normal way? IE:is it held in with a couple of clips? If so, then you could simply buy any old 8x10 back and have a cabinetmaker fabricate a wooden adapter board that replicates the Wisner back to screw the 8x10 back to. Any chance of a couple of closeup photos of the Wisner 7x17 back? If you'd like to explore the idea, I can be reached at john@oldradio.ca

cheers

John

(currently semi-retired and working in a cabinetmakers shop...)

Dave Wooten
2-Jul-2008, 16:22
you dont have the width needed to go from 7 x 17 to 8 x 10 . Your "new" adaptor would have to be expanded outward ( imagine a wooden bellows in reverse) adding length also and a lot of weight.

I have a 7 x 17 Wisner and also a 5 x 7 board back, works fine, but the "sevens" match etc. An 8 x 20 would of course be adaptable to 8 x 10 and 7 x 17 etc.

John the Wisner back is like most others, comes off with the clips. As mentioned at least an inch all round is needed or the 8 x 10 will have the image cut to 7 x 10 . The 8 x 10 back would have to be 10 x 10 square so it can be rotated vertically and horizontally etc.

Wista used to make a 5 x 7 back adapter for their 4 x 5 cameras...this model could be copied. It added several inches to the length of the 4 x 5.

To go from 7 x 17 to 8 x 10 is expanding and not reducing. You need an 8 x 10 square on the back instead of a 7 x 7 square.

Mike Castles
2-Jul-2008, 19:59
Another option would be to go with a 7x11 on the 7x17, would be much like 8x10 on a 8x20. Unless you just want the 8x10 format, that would be another alternative.

John Bartley
3-Jul-2008, 02:57
you dont have the width needed to go from 7 x 17 to 8 x 10 . ........
John the Wisner back is like most others, comes off with the clips. As mentioned at least an inch all round is needed or the 8 x 10 will have the image cut to 7 x 10 .......

Okey-dokey.... I was hoping that the close-up photos would have shown enough room on the 7" dimension to accommodate the 8x10 back. To get the 10" film dimension to fit the 7" side of the standard would be tough I admit, but depending on how the back standard is built, it might have been worth running a tape measure around it just to see.

cheers eh?

Daniel Grenier
3-Jul-2008, 03:29
Thanks for the replies, especially you Richard for the detailed requirements. It'd be far more of a production than seems resonable (especially considering I already have an 8x10 camera which I'll just keep, I suppose).