PDA

View Full Version : 810 Astia

Robert Fisher
30-Jun-2008, 07:02
Anybody know a USA source for 810 Astia today?

Badger and Freestyle are out of stock.

Thanks!

Diane Maher
30-Jun-2008, 09:49
Have you tried Midwest Photo? They might have some.

Eric Leppanen
30-Jun-2008, 11:37
Hi Robert,

Have you considered trying out Kodak E100G? It is reportedly the closest counterpart in the Kodak stable to Astia, and is more readily available in 8x10 in the U.S. (B&H stocks it among others). I personally have never tried it, but there are a lot of folks that have been very happy with it. From what I hear, it has a smidge more color saturation than Astia (though not as much as Provia) and similar contrast.

Eric Leppanen
30-Jun-2008, 15:39
Have you considered trying out Kodak E100G?...From what I hear, it has a smidge more color saturation than Astia (though not as much as Provia) and similar contrast.Just to update/correct my previous post, here is an analysis posted by Scott Eaton over at photo.net back in 2004 regarding E100G versus Astia 100F. His take is that E100G exposure latitude is similar to Astia but contrast is higher:

Biggest diference between E100G and Astia-F is contrast. The Fuji film is the lowest contrast slide film on the market while the Kodak film is more in the middle.

The good news is that E100G still retains good exposure lattitude, while moving from Astia to Provia to get more 'snap' takes a big penalty in this dept. Basically, E100G has some decent exposure lattitude due to it's rather high density range, while Provia can get into big trouble if over-exposed even slightly. This is why I recommend either Astia (Sensia) or E100G for beginners or general shooting, and why I lump Provia closer to Velvia in terms of fussy exposure habits.

Being that E100G is the higher contrast film, it will tend to exagerate scene balance more than Astia. If it's a warm scene, E100G will look warmer, if it's a cool scene, E100G will look cooler. Being lower in contrast, Astia gives us the perception of looking 'warmer' if we're shooting portraits or soft subject matter, but it's perceptual only. both films are neutral. There is a warmer version of E100G that's shifted purposefully to the warm side.

Color saturation is a complicated issue. The higher contrast of E100G will give the impression of higher saturation in middle tones, but Astia will handle strong colors much better than any Kodak slide film (for that mater so will Velvia or Provia). E100G is an improvement over previous Kodak E-6 films in this dept, but it's still not a film I'd use for wild paint jobs or flower/macro.

I prefer skin tones with E100G or even pulling Provia 400F a stop. Astia is just not my thing for portraits because I like a more 'crisp' and neutral rendition of skin tones that E100G delivers vs the soft and rosy skin tones of Astia. Too many years of proofing classic portraiture from VPS and Reala I guess. Personal preference only.

Astia F has better grain, and it's easier to scan than E100G. However, I find E100G easier to scan than Provia unless Provia is shot *dead on*. I normally rate Astia at EI 100, but will shoot it at 150 if it's a scene with high contrast because of it's ability to keep good shadow detail. I have no issue shooting 'G' at 125.