PDA

View Full Version : New Port Stanley shoot - discussion

Joseph O'Neil
30-Jun-2008, 05:31
Hi Everyone;

I am looking at organizing another Port Stanley shoot this year, with a couple of changes. So anyone interested, jump in, and give me your ideas.

1) One big mistake i made last year, I think, was not organizing some sort of follow up or meal or gathering at a restaurant afterwards. What kind of food do people like best for an event like this - fries & burger, pizza, or something more substancial?

2) Dates. Last year was October 13, to take advantage of the fall colours, which really didn't come until late. Would anyone like an earlier date, so you can take advantage of the beach for example?

3) Time. Last year it started, informally around 1:00 pm (ish). With the high cost of gas anymore, I think if a person is going to travel anywhere for shooting, you want the most time or the best bang for the buck. I wonder if we should not start it earlier, even on an informal basis?

4) Location. Did or does Port Stanley have enough to return to, or would people like to see more or something else? There are many neat sites on the north shore or lake Erie that we could visit, and I can even get a list of all the local wineries that are nearby. :)

but to give you an example, the nearby town of Sparta has many old buildings - going back as far as 1837, still standing. Rush & Kettle Creeks have nice small, secluded valleys.
There are a couple of cool pioneer cemeteries overlooking the lake, some pre-historic earthworks in the area, and so on.

What I could do is post a pile of links to say google maps, with brief descriptions, to give people an idea of what these sites are like.

One idea I was thinking of was posting a list of sites in the area that might be of interest that are - oh say a ten mile radius? A person who came early could go to these sites by themselves, and then we could all meet at a time in Port Stanley itself.

Anyhow, through the suggestions at me. With the high cost of gas, and IMO, it's only going to go up, I think we should squeeze value out of every drop you have to drive for. :)

joe