PDA

View Full Version : developing tank for 5x7 film

pdeeee
30-Jun-2008, 01:25
hi, I have just bought a kodak developing tank for 8x10 film but will be using it for 5x7 film, I thought it would have some sort of light proof valve to change the developer for stop and fix, but it just seems to be a hollow tank, can anyone tell me how you overcome this problem, do you need two more tanks? or is there some secret I dont know about.... many thanks

Ron Marshall
30-Jun-2008, 01:43
hi, I have just bought a kodak developing tank for 8x10 film but will be using it for 5x7 film, I thought it would have some sort of light proof valve to change the developer for stop and fix, but it just seems to be a hollow tank, can anyone tell me how you overcome this problem, do you need two more tanks? or is there some secret I dont know about.... many thanks

If it is the type of hard rubber tank that uses film hangers (clips on a metal frame to hold the sheets), then it is a "deep tank" and development is called dip and dunk and must be used in the dark. You lift the hangers out of the tank to agitate the developer, instead of inversion.

Google dip and dunk development.

Turner Reich
30-Jun-2008, 02:30
Yes, find two or three more tanks, presoak, dev, stop, fix, wash. That's four tanks. Do you have hangers? You will need 8x10 and 5x7 hangers to go with the 8x10 and 5x7 tank sets. If you are going to do 4x5 then you will some 4x5 hangers and four 4x5 tanks. The Kodak hard rubber tanks are the most available but stainless steel ones are out there too. Good luck.

Bob Salomon
30-Jun-2008, 08:02
You might be able to find a 5x7 HP Combi-Plan T or Gepe Combi-Plan T or Krause Combi-Plan T tank. It is light tight for developing but must be filled and emptied in the dark. It was discontinued more then 20 years ago so you won't find one new anymore.

If you find the Combi-Plan L version then you would have the wrong top and would have to do the entire process in the dark.